dual exhaust tail pipe ideas needed

scotty t

piece of cake...easy to do..just remove the wheel well for the spare...move the tank over and center to body...lengthen the fuel fill..provide a heat shield around it..run duals in a normal fashion...this is even better when your engine is bent in the middle..

now if that sounds a bit involved...just run them side by side and branch left at the rear of the car

...this is even better when your engine is bent in the middle..

the ole 354 is not only bent in the middle, it has 4 big holes in each valve cover! i really want to run the tail pipes close to the middle on either side of the license plate. i have a plan to raise the gas tank by using a 60's mustang tank and some trunk floor surgery. i would just like some other ideas before i start cutting. thanks for the pics and ideas guys. this trunk latch hole IS offset from center but not as bad as this picture makes look.

post-3987-0-41019500-1414066386_thumb.jpg

Edited by scotty t

I wanted pipes near the center too. 

Here's what I did.  It's a mid 60's Chev. tank.  It's 'sposed to be mounted that way.  You can buy new repros as well as sending units.  Only issue is the fuel gauge which I replaced with a Chev. unit.

The spare well is trailer fender mounted "less deep" than the original so's I got lotsa space underneath for pipes.  Haven't finished the pipes yet.  Having too much fun driving it.

IMG_3935.jpg

-

seems Photobucket went funky,....I'll followup later.

Img_2850.jpg

-

The plans is to someday turn the filler neck up 90 degrees and have the cap on the outside of the body just below and to the right of the backlight.

Img_9310_zpsff9cc64a.jpg

-

The image below is a sketch of what I am thinking.  However, in your case with the license frame on the bumper, I sure like the looks of your mockup 

Img_9312_zps33460cfd.jpg

that looks good too. that 40 is beautiful! how do like the challenger? i love mine.

thanks,,,,  and  as for the  challenger,,  i  dont  get  to drive it as much as  i thought  i would,,,,but  when  i do get  it out  its a great car,,and  it gets as much  attention as any thing  ive ever had,,,,what  is  your  challenger ???  mine  plum  crazy 5.7

I wanted pipes near the center too. 

Here's what I did.  It's a mid 60's Chev. tank.  It's 'sposed to be mounted that way.  You can buy new repros as well as sending units.  Only issue is the fuel gauge which I replaced with a Chev. unit.

The spare well is trailer fender mounted "less deep" than the original so's I got lotsa space underneath for pipes.  Haven't finished the pipes yet.  Having too much fun driving it.

IMG_3935.jpg

-

seems Photobucket went funky,....I'll followup later.

bill u said having to much fun  driving it to do the tail pipes,,,,theres an  old saying,,,once it runs,,its done,,,lol

The plans is to someday turn the filler neck up 90 degrees and have the cap on the outside of the body just below and to the right of the backlight.

Img_9310_zpsff9cc64a.jpg

-

How are you going to make the gas go uphill?

I'm thinking he meant to say "back window", not "backlight"??????

Edited by deathbound

Ha!  :huh:  that's funny.  Had a big question mark after Don's "uphill" comment.  Now it makes sense. but,.....comin from the Motor City Don, I'da thunk you'd know "backlight" was the back window.  Never occurred to me it coulda been read a "backup light"  :lol: 

billl great job  on the tank,,,and  i  really like the mock up of  your tail pipes,, what kind of  out side gas cap ???  hidden flip  up type  or  some thing  like a  mopar style  flip up cap ?

If/when I get to it, I'm thinkin stock looking cap with the big rubber grommet, like is on the left rear fender.  If my car was more "custom" like yours, I'd probably do a flip-up door,,...although it gets pretty tight in there.

thanks,,,,  and  as for the  challenger,,  i  dont  get  to drive it as much as  i thought  i would,,,,but  when  i do get  it out  its a great car,,and  it gets as much  attention as any thing  ive ever had,,,,what  is  your  challenger ???  mine  plum  crazy 5.7

mine is a 2010 R/T 5.7 6spd

post-3987-0-70812700-1414506831_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...