A nice alternative to a 1947 Plymouth Business Coupe

Thomba48

Hi to you all,

I am looking for a nice discussion round that can help me to decide what to own next :-)

Due to family reasons I need to sell my 1947 Plymouth business Coupe. I so much like its shape and design, but a rear back seat is needed. Otherwise, I shall never be able - or at least not for another 10 years - to take my little boy along as well due to legislation reasons in Germany. 

The four door version of the P15 or the dodge equivalent I just don't like. Sorry for saying this :-( So what else could one get instead? that comprises the following requirements:

Max 18 TSD $, ideally less. Has to be in a prestine state (so a Lincoln Zephyr is certainly not affordable :-)) Mostly old stock look and feel.

Back rear seat.

I am interested in all your thoughts and ideas.

Thom

Well, the world is full of cars: There were more makes around in 1947 than there's today... Thus plenty of choice ;-)

But seriously; Why not P15 Club Coupe? - The same body as Business Coupe, but with rear seat. I suppose business coupe could be converted to CC in case you could find the seats & upholstery (or fit with modern seat, but then you would have to call it "street rod" yikes!)

Also D24, S11or C38 Club Coupe would have same charming appearance yet also back seat.

I am not allowed to say it out loud here, but same are GM fast back bodies (Such as Chev. Aerosedan, Pontiac Torpedo or Buick Sedanette) offer roomy back seat in a coupe body. Just Google around in case you are not fortunate to have Tad Burness' "American Car Spotters Guide 1940-65")

/Unkka

EDIT: Casper was faster! When I was writing my long story he added the intro video of P11 Club Coupe. As for Plym., I belive 5-window is not a good description, since P11 and P15 business coupes were build into the same body (5W), while eg. Dodge business coupes were 3W with long trunk and Club Coupes were 5W similar to Plymouth.

However, the message is the same: Club Coupe (5W) is a family car!

Edited by Uncle-Pekka
  • Like 1

Thom I feel your pain here. I have my 46 pickup and a p15 club coupe. Now with the 2 boys the 46 pickup doesn't see the light of day very often. I did put belts in the back of the p15 so they can ride back there but its still not very ideal to get them in and out with the 2dr. I've been looking at other stuff too but mine will be an addition :) Good luck in upgrading your ride.

Yes. A club coupe could be an interesting option. But then, particularly more space on the inside this model unfortunately does not offer :-(

Unkka, I do like your recommendations, but I really believe that beyond the ikky :-) Chevy alternative the other options call them Buick, Pontiac or especially the Chrysler are just not within my budget. :-(

Thom

Edited by Thomba48

Thom.......Plymouth used the same body shell 1941-1948 for Business Coupes that only had the front bench seat BUT from 1942 to 1948 the Club Coupes used BOTH a front seat AND a rear seat under a longer roof.........the 42-48 Business coupe and Club Coupe are different for Plymouth........a 42 -48 Club Coupe will suit your needs I think..........ANDYD

never overlook the actual two door sedan  with its long rear roll down glass and two door I personally find them a more attractive alternative to the club coupe...and, you stay with the two door that most folks, me included, am not afraid to put a nickel into as it will resale over a four door in most all cases..to me the actual roof profile is more appeasing to the eye over that of the club coupe...

gallery_1_4_1359568684_105.jpeg

Interior dimensions of the club coupe are longer then the biz coupe the roofline is longer as evidenced by the larger rear side windows. Most of the difference comes out of the trunk, as it is about a foot less deep compared to the biz CPE. The two door sedan the Tim showed is a rarer model then either coupe.

yes they are Greg..they are not near as common it seems when you go to a show and what not...I bought a 2 door sedan not long back from a member on this forum..little rough about the rockers and floor but upper body solid..even has the drive train in the car...engine turns by hand but that is all I can tell you...I have not and probably will never try to start the flattie...if I build the body..a bent engine is going in with 4 speed auto..I bought the car for trim parts and it came with almost a double set...

I think a club coupe could quite possibly be a good solution. your insights really made me think.

Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler would probably be too expensive. I shall look around and see what might come up eventually. Thanks for your help again. Thom

The Special Deluxe Club Coupe was by far the most popular P-15, as I recall. They are very roomy inside for a 2-door car, easily taking 6 adults. I love mine & I've had it 30+ years.

Since they are less rare than the Business Coupe, and since the Business Coupes are somewhat sought after for building retro gassers, you should be able to find someone to trade straight across for one in similar condition.

Personally I don't much like the 2-door or 4-door sedan bodies on the P-15. All that body makes the nose look too small IMO.

Edith d' Plymouth getting stripped:

post-6765-0-56763300-1414186104_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-72568100-1414186349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulu

Sort of. The Business Coupe I also purchased in the US back then. Actually 7 years ago. So the same could happen this time also. But, the prices have really strongly increased since then I must say.

Edited by Thomba48

Sort of. The Business Coupe I also purchased in the US back then. Actually 7 years ago. So the same could happen this time also. But, the prices have really strongly increased since then I must say.

Edited by Thomba48

By the way what is your experience with prices right now. What is the investment I should envisage for a very, very decent version. One that does not require any work right now, perfect paint, good interior and sound engine and undercarriage. Thanks for your thoughts on that. Thom

It has been my observation that the overseas market for restored or reworked American cars both pre war and post war is quite lucrative. There are sales folks who become greedy with this lucrative market and pass off cars that look very good in pictures to the overseas market with grossly inflated prices. The advertisements are well written stating all the work that has been done. However (and I have observed this more than once) many of these high dollar cars look good in pictures but are not capable of being driven any distance without mechanical failure.  

So it is a buyer beware market. If I were an overseas buyer willing to pay the big bucks and have a car shipped home I would strongly consider crossing the pond to personally inspect the car prior to signing the check.

Don. You are obviously completely all right with your remarks.

My Plymouth I bought over the internet as well. It certainly wasn't grossly overpriced. And probably the description wasn't really incorrect. And maybe I "forced" myself to not question too much, because I really wanted it. Had I, however, seen the car in person I probably would not have bought it. The result, a lot of TLC and money later it is in the state that I wanted it at the beginning.

Flying over to the US actually is never the hurdle. Quite the opposite. Checking out a car would be a fantastic excuse to finally visit your country again. So the issue is more that very often "quick decision" are required, as the sellers don't tend to wait for one person to finally make up his mind. And obviously, how likely is it to have the chance to have a few cars in one area to choose from? Flying over for one simply doesn't make a lot of sense. Unfortunately.

You mentionend "grossly overpriced". What would be your feeling in regard to a reasonable price for Plymouth/ Dodge Club Coupe or convertible in the quality described of the time period we are all interested in? My feeling, prices really have gone up dramatically in the past 5/ 6 years. 

Thom