eBrake parts swapping any merit to this idea?

TrampSteer

When I took delivery of my truck 8 months ago, we were horrified about the frame. The frame was so bad that when we saw the e-brake in several places (some in a box, some dangling from the transmission) any thoughts of fixing it immediately went on a nice-to-must-have list.

Now that it's time to pay the piper, I'm finding I don't actually have all the pieces. At least I don't think I do. Granted, I did  find some springs in the glove box (go figure) that look like they would play a part, but not all the pins and brackets are there. So I've been snooping around for some place to get these other pieces.

Transmission EBrakes Compared

We did find a (free-ish) donor (on the right). It looks to be earlier and we believe it to be late 40's. It is a top mount, and I have a three-in-the-tree so we thought we should just swap the e-brake parts. The lever mechanism's fulcrum attaches at the bottom on the donor, whereas mine does so from the top. But the parts that attach to that look similar to the book for my 53. And I do have the band that is supposed to fit on mine. Just not all the mounting hardware. I am debating pulling the transmission off my working truck so we can sway parts over on the bench. Just too hard to really know if it would work by eyeball.

Do any of you fine gentlemen have an experience in this area? I'd rather find out now it is a foolish errand than when both are apart on the workbench.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by TrampSteer

I had my brake apart on my 1 ton a few yrs back.  If I remember correctly there is a y shaped bracket that bolts to the rear of the transmission that hold the brake band (on the driver's side), and another arm on the passenger side to hold the pivoting linkage in place.   If the band is the same size as the drum on your transmission it should work, if not, you'll have to see of the splined shaft, and the u-joint mount are the same as the driveshaft on your trans.  If that is the case, the drum and the linkage could be swapped over.

If you have a column mounted shift in your truck, and the donor is a floor shifted transmission, you may have issues with the linkage and pivot assemblies to deal with too.   Just my rambling.   Mike

• Like 1

Hey Mike;

Section 4 of the parts manual has a decent exploded view of this assembly. It is all pretty simple and I am not even sure there is any significant difference between the column shift and the floor shift versions of the later trucks. Note: the earlier trucks had a floor mounted actuator and the linkage for these is another animal.

Maybe Hank or one of the other guy's who have a column shift could take some close up photos for you? Some of the small bits would be pretty easy to make or cobble together if they are missing. Also you are welcome to look at the one on my 4 speed if that is of any help.

Btw....Roberts can re line the shoes if needed.

Jeff

• Like 1