Clutch assistance please.

Hey all, it's come to that time where I can no longer put off replacing the clutch in my 39 PT81. I'm running a 1953 218 Plymouth engine attached to what I believe is the original 4 speed New Process gearbox.

I've had a quick scout through VPW and Roberts websites and am not entirely sure which clutch package I need. I've also got a friend coming to LA in 2 or 3 weeks who has kindly volunteered to bring it home for me.

My question really is can somebody help guide me to the correct clutch, a good supplier of said clutch and lastly advise on whether it's the kind of part that is on the suppliers shelf generally and able to be delivered to LA reasonably quickly, my friend is only over for up to two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help. Tom.

How about having your disc and pressure plate rebuilt. That is done on this side of the pond all the time...

You could send it over to the USA for rebuilding, but the down time would be longer. I am sure there are lot's of outfits in the UK that can restore that clutch assembly....

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

How about having your disc and pressure plate rebuilt. That is done on this side of the pond all the time...

You could send it over to the USA for rebuilding, but the down time would be longer. I am sure there are lot's of outfits in the UK that can restore that clutch assembly....

Thanks guys, I hadn't even thought about trying to get mine rebuilt over here. I made some enquiries and got a recommendation, made a call and apparently it's no problem, will take two days and cost around $230.

Time to start unbolting that box!

Ouch! About 15 minutes ago I picked up a Model T clutch, (edit - Model A clutch, T's don't have clutches - working on too many cars!) etc.

New clutch, new throw out bearing, new pilot shaft bearing, resurfaced and rebuilt the pressure plate, resurfaced the flywheel, $136. Guess we're spoiled on this side!

Edited by austinsailor

I just paid $185 for a disc, plate, throwout and pilot shaft bearing from Carolina Clutch for my 2.5 ton.   What kind of Model T has a clutch and throwout bearing?  Is it a conversion from the planetary transmission?

Ouch! About 15 minutes ago I picked up a Model T clutch, (edit - Model A clutch, T's don't have clutches - working on too many cars!) etc.

New clutch, new throw out bearing, new pilot shaft bearing, resurfaced and rebuilt the pressure plate, resurfaced the flywheel, $136. Guess we're spoiled on this side!

Just another perk of living in the UK, the pleasure of paying a lot for almost everything! Except milk, that's pretty cheap right now, don't mention petrol though!!!