Contacting Mitchell motors?

austinsailor

I've been trying to contact Mitchell Motors without success. Sent a parts request several days ago, tried to call all day and got a busy every time.

I know Frank Mitchell died recently, but I understand it had been sold. Anyone know what is going on? I'm hoping there is a drag link end for my Airflow somewhere in their warehouses.

it has been ages since I bought from them..they list now on E-bay and list their wares there and some of the stuff is just off the wall in prices....it is good to get all you can for this NOS stuff I guess...take for instance a hood badge...1700.00 is a tad high...lol...been listed at that price for over a year now I think no takers...I liked his set up at the swap meet many years ago..Frank himself was very good at getting things to you and easy to reach on the phone..

I've bought from them before - and pass on some things. If you need it, there is a good chance he has it. But as you say, it sometimes can break the bank.

I have had no contact since Frank died, I have no idea how the company is run now.

You might wonder why I'd try to buy from someone who generally had such high prices. The drag link I'm looking for is not available, we're trying to find a modern part that is close enough to work but haven't yet. Some S2 owners have had theirs rebuilt by a machine shop that knows how, but it takes a couple months and $200 to get it done.

How much would you pay to get one off the shelf?

Try Rare Parts in Stockton , California . They advertise that if they don't have the part , that they will make it . Their prices are a little higher than others but for me and the stuff that I bought from them , the price was the same as I didn't have to pay for shipping , I just drove to the other side of town . They advertise overnight shipping available  .  1-800-727-8740   www.rareparts.com   or email rparts@rareparts.com   " weather it is outrageous , obsolete or ordinary , Rare Parts has the suspension parts you need " 

Edited by Jerry Roberts
  • Like 1

oh I fully understood the reason you wanted to get hold of Mitchell..the bird in the hand scenario is a fav over many other experiences. When I bought a few hard parts from him long ago the prices were quite reasonable..it is the bling bling that is going off the charts in my opinion..will be interested in finding out parts availability and pricing of this drag link..

Ply-do went thorough the death of its owner and never survived the family loss and division of assets as I was told by a local patron...it was a shame..I was in his facility many years ago...literally tons of stuff stacked way high on shelves in the warehouse..other aspects of his business style was lacking but he had parts...

I just bought some hood bumpers for my '51 business coupe on ebay from fmmpar and because my computer screwed up I double ordered. Contacted him through ebay and asked if he could cancel one and had no issues with him. Very positive and helpful. Yes, some prices are high but others are reasonable. Service was great.

Good to know about that Robert.  I think the last thing I bought from them was a front fender stainless trim piece......I think for

the left side..........best I could tell it was aftermarket and quality not quite good as original.  But it was close.

I think they still

advertise that piece.....they either have an ongoing source for making it, or they bought 10 million of them back when.  lol

Many years ago I had a 1961 Rambler Ambassador that needed a new right outer tie rod. None available anywhere. It was about a foot long. A local welder cut the head off a left one which was available and slowly welded the long shaft to the new head. Did not damage the rubber or even smoke the grease.  I don't know if you could do that but it worked for me.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

sorrry to hear frank died,,have not seen him  in a few years at any events,,wondered  if  he got out of the bizzz,,,never could cough  up the cash for any ting  i needed that he had,,,pricing was out of control,,,back in the 80s he did some shady deals with  people,,he was not liked in the muscle car  circles,,,