I'd like to introduce Miss Caroline-this noob's 1942 Plymouth.

mopardude

dear 42 Plymouth owner.  These brakees on these old Mopars are different that what you might expect compared to a more modern car.  These are Lockheed brakes and have an eccentric pins that is used to adjust the heal of the brake to get them properly arced to the brake drum.  Please refer to the reference section on the forum prior to doing the brakes This will provide you so great information.  The mopar dealers used either the factory Miller tool or the Ammco 1750 brake gage to get the brake shoes properly arced to each individula drum.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Howdy!  Welcome from another Mass Guy!  Is the car that was on Craigslist recently?  If so, looksl ike you got a nice deal.  What town are you in?  Love to come by and see it in person.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Welcome and nice looking car. Have you done brake work on these old Mopar's before?

I never have before. I have the hub puller for the rears. My father had a MoPar years back, so I'll be using some of his tools and expertise.

Hi.  Nice looking car.  It looks as if the ash tray and clock opening, as well as the glove box door, are the same as the

46-48 Plymouth.  I think the trunk handle is also the same as a P15 (46-48).  Otherwise, I don't think much else will

interchange.  Two things you should get soon as possible.........a repair manual and a parts manual.  Probably are

reprints available..........but sometimes you can find an original.  They contain a wealth of information.

There is a section on eBay for the 1942 Plymouth.      

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC0.A0.H1.X1942+plymouth.TRS0&_nkw=1942+plymouth&_sacat=0

The gauges (temp, oil, etc) are same as a P15......you just have to switch and use your copper colored

background.    

Edited by BobT-47P15

Hi.  Nice looking car.  It looks as if the ash tray and clock opening, as well as the glove box door, are the same as the

46-48 Plymouth.  I think the trunk handle is also the same as a P15 (46-48).  Otherwise, I don't think much else will

interchange.  Two things you should get soon as possible.........a repair manual and a parts manual.  Probably are

reprints available..........but sometimes you can find an original.  They contain a wealth of information.

There is a section on eBay for the 1942 Plymouth.      

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC0.A0.H1.X1942+plymouth.TRS0&_nkw=1942+plymouth&_sacat=0

The gauges (temp, oil, etc) are same as a P15......you just have to switch and use your copper colored

background.    

I got myself an original parts book and shop manual already! I believe the gauges all work, except maybe the temp gauge since that seems to be the one to break.

Is it running?  From the pictures it appears there's the coil to distributor wire is missing. 

It's running. It has an incorrect aftermarket coil hanging loose in the engine compartment. Also has a non-original starter and incorrect ignition switch setup. I have all of the correct parts to replace it with, I just need the time now :) . Car is in Brockton right now btw.

• Like 1

It's running. It has an incorrect aftermarket coil hanging loose in the engine compartment. Also has a non-original starter and incorrect ignition switch setup. I have all of the correct parts to replace it with, I just need the time now :) . Car is in Brockton right now btw.

My dad always told me that Brocton is a King Size town. ;)

It's running. It has an incorrect aftermarket coil hanging loose in the engine compartment. Also has a non-original starter and incorrect ignition switch setup. I have all of the correct parts to replace it with, I just need the time now :) . Car is in Brockton right now btw.

Give a shout if you need a hand with anything.

Edited by Mark D

Welcome to the Best in the World Hobby Car Forum, Dude!

You will find there's a great bunch of fine fellows in here.

Great to see a P-14, not many around (not any here in Finland!)

I like the grille design - clean and stylish.

Dude, we expect you to abide ;-) (ref. to my favorite movie...)

• 4 weeks later...

You have a neat little car there.  My first car was a 1942 Plymouth Business Coupe when I was 14 years old.  Dad and I fixed it up and it was my car until my wife and I had our first child and needed something with a back seat to bring him home from the hospital.  I bought my second one several years ago, now that the kids are gone.  I'm guessing I'm one of only a few people who have owned two different '42's.  Enjoy it, and don't sell it... they do go up in value.