Endless Summer Cruise, Ocean City, Md

Oldguy48

Late this afternoon, we returned home from a trip to Ocean City, Md. for their "Endless Summer Cruise". Had a nice trip and logged a bit over 470 miles. The car ran great, and despite some rain, and road construction delays, had a great time. We've made this trip a few times in the past, but this trip I decided to try to avoid the PA Turnpike, I-95 etc., and try to stick to secondary roads as much as possible. So we traveled thru Amish farm country, lots of small towns, etc. where the speeds were more reasonable, and where we could stop without searching for the next exit. We even saw an Amish crew harvesting corn, using a team of horses to pull their equipment. How refreshing!!!

Oh, we had to travel some miles on the crazy highways, but despite that and except for some road construction, and rain on the return trip, the drive was pleasurable. Even though my P15 ( SBC powered) will keep up with fast-moving traffic with very little effort, I don't like that kind of driving. Maybe I'm just showing my advancing age, but cruising at 50-55 MPH suits me just fine. It may take a bit longer to get there, but I like it. Anyway, we had a great time, and the Plymouth even won the OPTIMA battery trophy at the show. I had to have my daughter and son-in-law haul that home because it wouldn't fit in the Plymouth. (It was taller than me!!!) I'll post a pic of that later.

Also took the opportunity to have a NSRA safety inspection performed at the show. The Plymouth passed with no issues!!

Wayne

Edited by Oldguy48
  • Like 2

Chet,

They have an car event in May, and another in October. Several thousand vehicles registered at both events. It's a real hoot. Many of the cars can't possibly be street legal, but they've got a license plate hanging on them, and they cruise the streets. Its fun after the evening meal, to sit along the street and watch the action. The police occasionally pull someone over if they're getting too crazy, but a lot of the action is overlooked by the police.

You'll find all sorts of vehicles there, from bone stock Model T's, to rat rods, customs, and pro street racers. Lots of excellent restaurants, and the ever popular Boardwalk Parade. All in all, its a great car show, and I'm certain you would enjoy it. I'm already looking forward to attending again in May.

Unfortunately, there was a medical emergency while we were there. An individual suffered a heart attack at the show. An announcement was made requesting help from any doctors, nurses, EMTs, etc. A lot of people immediately responded, CPR was employed, and the gentleman was transported to a local hospital. No word on his condition, but hopefully he pulled thru.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

The weather there can be unpredictable. We had a good time, in spite of the rain. The P15 rarely is out in the rain, but it seems it's unavoidable at Ocean City. Here's a pic of the Optima Battery trophy, and a pic of the Optima battery in the trunk.

Wayne

post-527-0-56936600-1414078164_thumb.jpg

post-527-0-83368700-1414078263_thumb.jpg

The battery was first. I was using an identical Optima that was about 10 years old. I decided to replace it this Spring, simply due to it's age. When I replaced it, I gave the old one to a friend, who installed it in his 67 Charger. And its still going strong.

Yeah, I get a lot of comments about the electrical panels in the trunk. It isn't as complicated as you might think. Just a lot of fuses, relays, terminal strips, plus a bit of electronics. Plenty of spare circuits in the event I want to add something later. Accessibility was one of the reasons I built it that way...and I'm a retired electrician/electronics technician and always enjoyed doing panel work like that.

Wayne

Very neat. I also studied electricity & electronics. Worked in electronics in the navy & several years afterwards. Didn't like working indoors, became a general contractor. Always appreciated opening a main breaker panel & seeing all wires neat with square corners. You could tell which wire went to which breaker. Inspectors like that also. I'd like to see pictures of the rest of the car.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yes....the panel on the driver's side has a Ford style solenoid that is activated when the starter button is pushed.  And the solenoid that's mounted on the starter is wired to the main starter terminal. That way, the heavy gauge wire from the trunk to the starter is only live when starting the engine.

Wayne

• Like 2