New Owner of a 48 or 50 B-2D126

bcantell

Just got her home.  Title states she's a 48 but the Dodge Truck ID site states she's a 50.  I mostly believe the ID site.

I've tried attaching a picture of her resting in her barn that she was in for the last 20 years, but the file is to large. Going to have to spend some time learning how to upload pics here.

PO says she ran when he put her in the barn. 

How can I nail down her birth year?

How can I tell if the work body is original OEM or a add on?  The tailgate is a ford gate, but I'm wondering about bed?

So far I'm in need of a headlight, but I'm sure I'll be looking for many more parts and lots of help.

Congrats on the new truck. There is supposed to be a frame stamping of the serial number on the driver's side just ahead of the cab. If the frame and cab don't match, could be that the cab was replaced.

Hey TrampSteer, thanks for the info.

I'll check that out.

So much going on with this truck, I haven't been able to take it all in yet.

I'm still trying to figure out which way to go with her. Should I try to keep her as stock as possible or start doing custom work? That's the first hurdle to jump.

I'm considering doing a custom interior but leave the exterior pretty much the way it is now with some repairs, trying to rebuild the OEM drive train. The cab interior seems all to buggered up to make it original.

She's got a 4 speed, are they common?

Someone removed the original gas tank and cut a new hole for a different tank.

As soon as I figure out the picture posting thing, I'll put up a bunch of shots.

• Like 1

I thought 1 tons were he's?

• Like 1

Should I call it .....ah her Cynthia? :wub: nah!

post-302-0-72285200-1413157439_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new purchase.   We're kind of a gender neutral group here as far as defining trucks anyway.   Would like to see some pics when you figure out how to post 'em.

Thanks for the replies.

Never thought much about calling my trucks he's or she's but all my machines are named with "female" names for some reason.  Don't think I'm going change that way of thinking at this late point of my life.

History of the truck as I know it is, the guy I bought her from said, she sat on the side of the road in Ludlow, Ma as a advertisement sign for a ice cream shop. 

On the doors it says  "Double D Dairy Bar"

I'm thinking, who doesn't like Double D's?

He bought her and moved into one of his barns and she sat for 20 years.

I'm toying with the idea of moving the cap onto a Dodge 3/4 or 1ton Cummins powered frame.  Would that be sacrileges? 

Or just tinker with her and see if I can get her running and road worthy.

• Like 1

Personally anything I label as a project is something that I refer to as a she. If I am going to spend countless hours alone in the shop with something that ends up always needing something from me, and can sometimes be stubborn and frustrating, and often I don't like, but can't help but love.... that something is going to be a she, but if you wish to do all of that with a guy I won't question your life choices.

• Like 2

^^^^^ Never thought of it that way!

My rigs do turn into a female when I am mad at them! :eek:

Man... the things and knowledge I learn here is truly amazing!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I'm toying with the idea of moving the cap onto a Dodge 3/4 or 1ton Cummins powered frame.  Would that be sacrileges? \

Not sacrilege. (sp)   Our  forum moderator intends to do that with his TODD project.  There's quite a bit of difference in cab and frame widths  between them.   Not saying it can't be done but it's a BIG undertaking and not for the faint of heart.  Get your tape measure out, start measuring and think hard about it before you start cutting.

I'm toying with the idea of moving the cap onto a Dodge 3/4 or 1ton Cummins powered frame.  Would that be sacrileges? 

TODD will be on a RAM 2500 Turbo Diesel frame, it's a TON of work, I've been thinking on it for 2 years, and I'm STILL nervous.  As Dave said, LOTS of differences in the cabs.

For years the three 1/2 ton parts trucks in front of my place were called "The Three Sisters"....When I got the 1949 1 1/2 ton Truck, we called him "Big Brother".....two of those sisters became "The Brick" (race truck) and the "B1BQ", both male names in my mind. :lol:  

48D

TODD will be on a RAM 2500 Turbo Diesel frame, it's a TON of work, I've been thinking on it for 2 years, and I'm STILL nervous.  As Dave said, LOTS of differences in the cabs.

It definitely is a ton of work. Lots of modifications to make it work.

320087_10150317998420876_213775740_n.jpg

320087_10150317998430876_1966183298_n.jp

60369_430167940875_330420_n.jpg?oh=493a1

404586_10150423640460876_812741599_n.jpg

1471840_10151726264315876_165326858_n.jp

Not mine, but a good friend's "Rusty Truck" project.

So, when you get it all in and working, you will drive down the road at the same speed I drive with my 218 flat head and at the rest stop when we open the hoods, everyone will see yours and they will look at my flatty and start to tell stories. LOL  But that V8 will be nice especially with a cord of firewood or coal on it. 

So, when you get it all in and working, you will drive down the road at the same speed I drive with my 218 flat head and at the rest stop when we open the hoods, everyone will see yours and they will look at my flatty and start to tell stories. LOL  But that V8 will be nice especially with a cord of firewood or coal on it. 

What V8?

• Like 1

"Rusty Truck" looks really good to me.  This must not be your buddy's first time with building since I see Clecos and the use of a bead roller.  If that had the flat six in it or a more modern V8, I'd eventually want it painted.  With the I6 diesel, I think I'd leave in rust.  Just the sound of it pulling up  would have me very curious.  Sorry Paul, flat six versus diesel at a rest stiop, diesel wins.

• Like 3