1953 Dodge Pilot House - Thoughts?

godenades

Just got a quote from a guy here in the SoCal area who said he can get me the original "green tint" glass, tempered, all together $406 out the door.  That is for two front windshield pieces, two door vent windows, two door windows and the rear window.  Not bad!  

Just got a quote from a guy here in the SoCal area who said he can get me the original "green tint" glass, tempered, all together $406 out the door.  That is for two front windshield pieces, two door vent windows, two door windows and the rear window.  Not bad!  

Tempered glass for windshield? Is that legal?

I am of the impression that windshields must be safety glass.

• Like 1

Not sure if it is legal, but I do know that I had a Chevy S10 with Tempered glass in it... When I got into an accident the glass shattered into a million and one pieces, all of which were not sharp/shard-like.  From what I understand Tempered glass is good because it is actually 5-10 times stronger than regular glass.  The other option I have is to go with the laminate glass, which has a layer of laminate within so rather than shatter, it just spiderwebs like crazy.  That is what most windshields today are made of.  I could go to Laminate at no additional cost... I will have to do more research.

TodFitch, on 21 Oct 2014 - 3:41 PM, said:

Tempered glass for windshield? Is that legal?

I am of the impression that windshields must be safety glass.

ditto....the glass in the windshield also must withstand "x" objects from entering the vehicle on impact..the last item to hit a windshield of mine broke both layers of the glass but the plastic membrane..however greatly distorted..still prevented the object from entering the car..this was a roller bearing shot from a semi trailer on the interstate at 70 MPH wheel speed...I have no clue to speed of the projectile but would guess it a bit faster...tempered glass would have barely slowed this projectile down..

• Like 2

Many years ago when living in the Portland Metro area, my wife was one of the many (at the time) victims of little bastards throwing rocks and such off of highways overpasses...the chunk of concrete hit in front of the pass seat but did not go through the plastic. Just sayin...

Automotive glass is regulated by the Feds. Windshields have to pass quite a few tests set by federal guidelines, etc.....

Roll over strength, punture stength, visabilty, tempered response, wind strength......

Horse carriages used tempered and lamenated glass before cars. Cars didn't start using them til the 20's. 

48D

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas here, I will certainly go the Lam route, no need to get hurt!  I could even go Lam all the way around, as i said, there is no difference in cost.  I am actually surprised that I was given the option! 

Thanks for the ideas here, I will certainly go the Lam route, no need to get hurt!  I could even go Lam all the way around, as i said, there is no difference in cost.  I am actually surprised that I was given the option! 

...that would make it a lot more difficult to get out if the need were to arise....

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately life has changed and I will be moving... won't have too much time to work with this girl and haven't done much since i originally posted.  I did find that the wires are in need of replacement (started smoking due to fray) and rebuilt the carb.  She is for sale if anyone is interested. :( San Diego, CA area.  I have a trailer and a truck to tow it if you are close and interested.  Thanks for all of your help guys!