1953 Dodge Pilot House - Thoughts?

godenades

Check this thread for inspiration if you lean toward a 'sleeper'....http://p15-d24.com/topic/18782-dans-hemi-swap-project/

Will do wayfarer, looks great!  I will certainly have to research more should I decide to go down that path... i fell like I would need to be a much better mechanic to mess with all that, rather than just sticking what is there and mostly original... we will see, but i will keep that thread in mind, thank you for the post!

Here's a photo of my 52 1/2 ton low side bed with bed side boards.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/olddodges1/media/Pilot%20House%20Trucks/MVC-003F-4.jpg.html?sort=6&o=78

Beautiful truck!  How do they mount in there?  I Like that look!

• Like 1

Hey Jeff, you are also in the southern california area huh?  

I certainly know that I want to work on the exterior paint, and I also want to replace some parts that I know need replacing or are missing.  I am sure that will take some time due to budget constraints but i will certainly take your advice and do a lot of studying during that time to ensure I am positive on the direction i will be moving forward with.  Thank you!

Brian;

Yes I am in Irvine......my shop is right at the El Toro Y where the 5 and 405 split.

I have been watching your truck on CL for a while. glad someone here got it. It looked like it would make somebody a great project.

As you have already heard there are some items that are a bit rare on these trucks. While you are studying up pay close attention to this and threads here on these topics. Also recommend you get the Shop and Parts Manuals and Don Bunn's book on the "B" series trucks. All really good to have.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Jeff

Welcome to the forum !  Your truck has a 52 or earlier low side bed and fenders. The 53's had much larger and squarer rear fenders. Is there a plastic DODGE script on the center of the dash. Hard to tell from the photo. If so the cab is a 53.  What's the vin # ?  We can tell from that if it's a 52 or 53.

On your engine photo just above the freeze plug is a long skinny flat spot. There should be an engine number there that will identify the year and cubic inches.

Nice ptoject !!!

Here are some of the ID numbers i was able to find quickly on my way out of the house today.  Wish i could spend all day with that truck... unfortunately I have to work in order to support my habit! :)  Let me know what you think or what these numbers teach you please.  In case you can't read it, the Vehicle No. = 85318745, Model = B3B-108.  Thanks!

20141009_205347_zps1a4ac4ea.jpg

20141010_082439_zps213b9132.jpg

20141010_082404_zpsc6e190f2.jpg

20141010_082502_zps0efc0d5f.jpg

• Like 1

Brian;

Yes I am in Irvine......my shop is right at the El Toro Y where the 5 and 405 split.

I have been watching your truck on CL for a while. glad someone here got it. It looked like it would make somebody a great project.

As you have already heard there are some items that are a bit rare on these trucks. While you are studying up pay close attention to this and threads here on these topics. Also recommend you get the Shop and Parts Manuals and Don Bunn's book on the "B" series trucks. All really good to have.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, i really appreciate that!  I already ordered the service manual through Rock Auto, but I haven't order the parts book or the original owners manual, though they do have those for sale as well.  I will definitely invest in the parts manual as soon as I can.  

Very cool that you are so close! What all do you do in the shop?  As for the truck, i will take very good care of her!  

I put your serial number into the VIN decoder at this web site, http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php and got this info;

Serial Number 85318745

Year 1952

Make Dodge

Model B-3-B

Engine 217.76 Flathead Six

Wheelbase 108

Rating 1/2 Ton

Engineering Code T306

Plant San Leandro, California

Build Number 5045

Low side beds aren't really rare, they were just an option back then. The seemed to be more popular in the B3B models.

I highly recommend that you pick yourself up a copy of this book, available at Amazon and other sources. It has a ton of information on your truck.

Book.jpg

Original and reproduction service manuals can be found from a couple of sources including e-bay. 

And to save yourself a little time, here's the link to the thread I did on my Quiet Rides interior install.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/12112-interiors/?hl=interiors

Edited by Merle Coggins

I put your serial number into the VIN decoder at this web site, http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php and got this info;

Serial Number 85318745

Year 1952

Make Dodge

Model B-3-B

Engine 217.76 Flathead Six

Wheelbase 108

Rating 1/2 Ton

Engineering Code T306

Plant San Leandro, California

Build Number 5045

Low side beds aren't really rare, they were just an option back then. The seemed to be more popular in the B3B models.

I highly recommend that you pick yourself up a copy of this book, available at Amazon and other sources. It has a ton of information on your truck.

Book.jpg

Original and reproduction service manuals can be found from a couple of sources including e-bay. 

And to save yourself a little time, here's the link to the thread I did on my Quiet Rides interior install.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/12112-interiors/?hl=interiors

Great information there Merle, thank you very much!  I was having trouble locating that VIN Decoder, great information!  I just bought that book it should be here in 4 days or so!  Thanks a ton, i look forward to the book!

Did you find an engine number on the block just above the front freeze plug on the drivers side ?  That pivot pin on your photo of the head is for the accelerator linkage on a car engine.  Maybe you have a 230 !!!!

• Like 1

Did you find an engine number on the block just above the front freeze plug on the drivers side ?  That pivot pin on your photo of the head is for the accelerator linkage on a car engine.  Maybe you have a 230 !!!!

I thought I did, is that picture not the area you were looking for?  There is a number right near that blue pin and the number is 13118106 i believe.  It is hard to make out the last number "6" but i think that is it.  Are you looking for a different number?

I thought I did, is that picture not the area you were looking for?  There is a number right near that blue pin and the number is 13118106 i believe.  It is hard to make out the last number "6" but i think that is it.  Are you looking for a different number?

The # they are talking about is just above (about 12") the generator in the pic on the side of the main block and just below the head.

The motor # is there and used used in almost all states when new as the # used for the title.

DJ

• Like 1

Nevermind, a quick google search showed me what you are looking for.  I will have to do some exploration tonight or tomorrow AM.  It looks like the number you are looking for includes stars in it. I will get back to you asap.

Thank you also for the clarification DJ, that helps.  My title however is indeed the "Vehicle No." which is located on the door frame tag. 

Edited by godenades

On the tag inside the door jam, it shows a max HP of 97.  I have done some searching on google and I have found that the only straight six with that HP rating is the 217 version.  Does that sound right to you?  Now of course, that is assuming the engine has never been changed.  

Flathead Identification :cool:

one approach I have read others make work is split the flathead exhaust manifold & upgrade to 2" exhaust pipe for better flow, switch to a 2bbl carb with an adapter on the original manifold, shave the head to boost the CR, electric in place of mechanical fuel pump, 195F thermostat & PCV system to reduce engine sludge, disc brakes up front on radials, Jeep Cherokee rear axle for lower gear ratio, LED tail & turn signals on 6 volt, headlight relay instead of straight off of switch, Gener-nator instead of alternator or generator, and gutting the factory radio to a solid-state AM/FM/MP3 setup.  This will get ya a truck that looks almost like an original beast but with various upgrades that improve performance across the board...don't forget the 3-pt seatbelts :cool:

• Like 2

Great Looking Project Truck ! Glad to see there are more Pilot House Trucks back in the wind out here in So Cal. Later this month (Oct. 25) there is a MOPAR event in the San Fernando Valley, I picked up both repro service and parts manuals in past years along with a few parts.There is talk about a gathering in So Cal of some of the Car guys and Truck guys in the NEAR future. I know your truck is not road ready, However maybe by the time we get together it might be or at least you could see what you are dealing with.  Kinda nice to have an example of what was on your truck before someone started messing with it.

With your truck on the road, there are at least 7 or 8 in the So Cal area now, almost enough to throw our own BBQ. We could meet some where central to all. Good luck with your truck, Build it how you want it and enjoy it. Not many of our trucks left on the road in original condition. Welcome to the Group and Have Fun. Rod

• Like 1

That sounds great! I would love to be a part of something like that. I did find some bad news last night though, the ID on the engine block looks to start with P18. It's not the original motor. .. :( it looks like it's from a Plymouth delux, 1949... that hurts.

That sounds great! I would love to be a part of something like that. I did find some bad news last night though, the ID on the engine block looks to start with P18. It's not the original motor. .. :( it looks like it's from a Plymouth delux, 1949... that hurts.

Unless you are going for a 100% as it left the factory it really means nothing. Its still a 218 flathead. Drive and enjoy and no one will know if you don't tell them. Except us :)

Brian;

Finding a non original engine in one of these is probably the norm. Swapping in a rebuild or low mileage runner was pretty common back in the day. I have a 54 230 in mine. In the Don Bunn book he makes a statement the the Dodge Truck (DT) engines were designed specifically for use in the trucks but I have yet to determine what differences there may be.

As I mentioned earlier getting to know what you have is important. Take some time to study up on it before you do too much. You will probably find that a lot of the original components are worth preserving.

Jeff

Ok, thanks guys, I was pretty down as I thought this thing was pretty original. .. though I can certainly understand that 60+ yeasts is a long time for an engine to sit in one truck. I have that book on the way as well as the repair guide. One thing I did notice that seems different after someone pointed it out was the accelerator post on the top of the motor though I don't even know what that is used for. :)

The cars operate the carb from the top of the engine, the trucks from the side. So if your have a a car engine, then there may be a couple of things that are different and the post on the top of the head is one.

Don was ahead of me by a couple of minutes. Hard to keep ahead of him! LOL

Edited by pflaming

Wow, very interesting. Well, i can't wait to get her back on the road... haven't had any time to explore her yet, not much time at least.  Had the in laws in town since I picked her up.  I am hoping this weekend brings some time for me to spend getting down and dirty.  I will keep you all posted, thank you for the support!