Another heavy thing to move around ...

jcmiller

Thanks.  I rented a beefy hoist.  My main concern is a sloped driveway.  Hopefully I can keep the hoist mostly in the flat garage and get the boom high enough to grab the engines without hitting the top of the garage door opening.  It should be fine.  I've done it before with a flathead six.  The only difference is these are flathead eights so heavier.  I'll find out tomorrow morning when they arrive.

Tether the hoist to the garage so it doesnt roll forward when you pick up a motor. Maybe a come-along would help. doesn't take much of a slope to get out of control.

Lift the engine off the truck. Pull the truck forward. Lower the engine to just off the ground. Pull the whole thing into the garage.

I've moved cumbersome objects by getting them on a creeper or a dolly like you set a car wheels on so you can move them around in a garage or a furniture dolly.  The shorter the dolly, the easier it is to roll your load onto it. Your engines can be moved with the hoist, even uphill if you block the wheels, let the engine down to the ground, move the hoist in the direction you  want to go, block wheels again, and lift it,  The engine will swing to plumb, lower and repeat until on level surface.

• Like 1

Kind of like an inch worm.  Luckily, we were able to keep the rear wheels of the hoist in the garage and had no problem rolling the whole unit up and into the garage.  I was surprised how big these things are though.

post-3715-0-95646300-1412917428_thumb.jpg

post-3715-0-84884800-1412917437_thumb.jpg