Questions on airflow

austinsailor

First one on top is a 36 Coupe, a pretty rare car.  Th last one is like mine (better finsh, of course), a 36 sedan. It has the correct bumper guards, mine has Chrysler. Who knows why, I sure don't.

36 was the first year of a steel insert roof instead of fabric. Chevrolet came out with it and they had to so they could compete. The surprise for me is, it's electrically insulated from the rest of the roof and serves as an antenna for the radio. And you probably thought hidden antennas were something recent.

First one on top is a 36 Coupe, a pretty rare car.  Th last one is like mine (better finsh, of course), a 36 sedan. It has the correct bumper guards, mine has Chrysler. Who knows why, I sure don't.

Shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but Boyd Coddington of the infamous American Hot Rod show took a decent original coupe like that and butchered it. Lengthened  and widened it and stuck in a V10 Viper engine. Got no problem with doing that to a basket case but not to a good original car, especially a rare one.

• Like 1

...Probably the closest I'll get to having an Airflow - I bought this at a 2nd hand / junque shop a few years back.I believe it came from a '37 Chrysler Airflow.Unfortunately the lens is cracked...

post-296-0-36141100-1413162820_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but Boyd Coddington of the infamous American Hot Rod show took a decent original coupe like that and butchered it. Lengthened  and widened it and stuck in a V10 Viper engine. Got no problem with doing that to a basket case but not to a good original car, especially a rare one.

boyd did not do that air flow,  that  air flow rolled across the  barrrett jackson stage right behnd a boyd built one off copy based on a delahay,the boyd car went for 505 thousand the air flow went for 510 thousand bought by ron pratt  from  chandler AZ  that buys most all the high dollar  cars has his own inside car show not open to the public,,,,the builder of the air flow took a lot of heat from the air flow club,,,  he grafted a 49 or 50  merc roof to the air flow,,it was a beauty,,,, all  these pics of air flows make it seem there plentyfulll,,,,,ide love to own one,,,,,,,austin  congrats

Edited by fstfish66

It's only the second one I ever saw in person. There was a Chrysler on Ebay about 2 years ago. We drove to Texas to see it, drove it, and bid on it.But it went for way more than it was worth. Mine is twice the car for about half the money.  Still needs some work, but nothing like the one I passed on.

It certainly draws attention!

Airflows are one unique car for sure.

I too am currently working on a 1935 CW  Airflow divider window Limo. The rarest, biggest and most costly of them all.

You are on your own when restoring some of these unusual Airflows!

post-302-0-55391800-1414130171_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-70616800-1414130289_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-29707100-1414130590_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The frame parts and attachments appear over restored vs stock.??   :confused:  Body is Beautiful already!

Talk about rare!

What's the somewhat transmission looking thing 1-2 ft. behind the regular? transmission?? Special OD?

DJ

The frame parts and attachments appear over restored vs stock.??   :confused:  Body is Beautiful already!

Talk about rare!

What's the somewhat transmission looking thing 1-2 ft. behind the regular? transmission?? Special OD?

DJ

Talk about rare!

DJ

The engine has the original type black wrinkle paint. Yes the paint on the chassis is a bit too shiny and stainless fuel and brake lines. The engine has quite a bit of factory chrome on it when fully assembled too.

The owner likes what he likes. It is done to his request!

The transmission looking thing is the heavy center bearing carrier case for the long two piece driveline. It has a oil sump in it to lube the two bearings and 15" long shaft that are part of it.

The rear end is a Timkin worm drive type-similar to the rear ends in older twin screw trucks.

I notice the steering has no shaft sticking out. Most have the work gear and shaft through the steering wheel as one piece. Was this built differently, or does it just not have the work gear installed?

There is a 1" X 10 splined slip yoke joint connecting upper and lower steering shafts together--upper steering coluum length is adjustable too like modern cars..

Pic of the lower end of the coluum....

post-302-0-20907500-1414201196_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-48472400-1414201234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dodge Brothers used a Budd-engineered all-steel body on the 1928 Victory Six, including the floors, but soon found out the drumming noise was too much.  So, the steel floor was replaced by wood.  Wood is a great sound insulator and absorber.  Chrysler had the same experience with the Airflow as the 1934 parts book lists floor pans (steel) but the 1935 models had "board assemblies" (wood) for the floor.

And, contrary to what Chrysler used to say, the Airflow was not a unibody design.  In fact, the parts book listed a chassis frame assembly, and the body could be purchased assembled in prime or even fully trimmed - windows, seats and all.  Briggs engineered the 1936 Lincoln-Zephyr. a unibody structure that had no separate chassis. 

The sharing of parts  between the Airflow models - front cowl / windshield, doors, front fenders / grille, rear quarters and rear deck - did help keep production costs down, while the high prices brought in more per vehicle.  The Airflow interiors were trimmed luxuriously inside, while the prices were higher than the other cars in their market segments.  Which is how Chrysler made money during the Airflow era.  Chrysler was NOT on verge of collapse after the Airflow was introduced.  From the beginning in 1924 through to 1957, Chrysler lost money only once - in 1932.   

Chrysler management was not stupid.  They knew the Airflow was going to be a shock, and they knew it would not attract customers in droves.  Thus parts sharing and high prices.  And no year end losses.

The 1941 and 1942 LWB Crown Imperials used a curved windshield - although bent would be better description.  The Crown Imperial Special of 1941 based on the New Yorker Town Sedan used the normal two piece windshield.

Studebaker used a curved (bent) windshield on its 1941-1942 Commander and President club coupes. 

The Chrysler Custom Imperial Airflow CW used a true curved windshield with the curves at either end of the glass and not in the centre.  

Here are a couple I saw at a swap meet earlier this year.......

DSC01793 - Copy.JPG

Too bad to have expensive tastes, but no money... These mid-30's Airflow coupes are just so dashing beautiful and well built bodies.

Painfull to realize I will ever never own one.

Can you imagine how did it felt for someone who afford one brand new back at the day they were at dealers?

The guy next door drove an used model A ford and you cruised down the street in this art-deco streamliner!

• Like 2

a few years ago  on the  show  my  classic  car,,,they  were visiting a guy that had  a wide range of  different  collector  cars,,,  he had a  desoto  airt flow,,,said  this is the car the  germans came here bought 5 of them  took  them back  to germany and  designed the  VW  BUG,,,

Don't know about Germans buying 5 DeSoto Airflow models and shipping them back to Germany - they could have bought them in Germany as Chrysler had an export operation and assembly plant in Antwerp, Belgium.  Chrysler also had a plant in London, England, that assembled CKD units from Detroit, including Airflow models.

It is known, though, that Ferdinand Porsche, the man who designed and engineered the VW, visited Detroit in 1934 and visited a number of auto manufacturers.  He was a very forward thinking engineer and his work was ahead of the times.  He would have thought the Airflow was a very advanced design, although only the design of the car would have influenced him.  He was working on a RWD car with a unit body - no chassis frame but a platform foundation on which to base the car.

Don't know about Germans buying 5 DeSoto Airflow models and shipping them back to Germany - they could have bought them in Germany as Chrysler had an export operation and assembly plant in Antwerp, Belgium.  Chrysler also had a plant in London, England, that assembled CKD units from Detroit, including Airflow models.

It is known, though, that Ferdinand Porsche, the man who designed and engineered the VW, visited Detroit in 1934 and visited a number of auto manufacturers.  He was a very forward thinking engineer and his work was ahead of the times.  He would have thought the Airflow was a very advanced design, although only the design of the car would have influenced him.  He was working on a RWD car with a unit body - no chassis frame but a platform foundation on which to base the car.

post-463-0-75778900-1414382883_thumb.jpg

I think this Airflow, which I saw in a garage/shed of a fellow I know west of Joplin, has been sold.  Don't know what it's true

condition was.........but exterior seemed to be pretty straight.

100_8929.jpg

I think there is another Airflow here for sale..........mostly original and needs a certain amount of resto work.

Owned by an older couple who I've seen at some cruise-ins, but don't know them.