Questions on airflow

austinsailor

Well, I bought it. A LOT less than he wanted, a little more than I wanted, but it'll work out.

Chris, the recommended trucker, will probably pick it up Monday, it'll be in Mo. before long, then I can see what I really got into.

Edited by austinsailor

Pictures hide a lot - like the seats the moths ate. Don't show loose steering. Things like that. But no rust, not bent up. Motor sounds good but needs tuneup. Needs the correct carburetor. Running boards recovered.

I'll go through the brakes and front end, tune it up - and find an emergency brake - and do the other things a little at a time while driving it.

The seller (he's a good guy) assumed old cars like that always wandered badly and barely stopped. Not so when everything is tight and aligned.

post-459-0-18687600-1412827909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Strange - I'll try again. I've done it with this I phone before, the thumbnails showed up.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's another:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Much better.....congrats on a very unique car, looks very nice. Finding & purchasing the taillight bezels will cost what you paid for the car....not really, but they go for mucho $$$.

The airflow was a unibody car so I do not think there should be any wood in the body.  Might be in the seats but I doubt in the body and floor pans. talked with a Chrysler guy at hershery and he said the say thing.

I would suggest that you contact the Airflow club of America.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

The airflow was a unibody car so I do not think there should be any wood in the body.  Might be in the seats but I doubt in the body and floor pans. talked with a Chrysler guy at hershery and he said the say thing.

I would suggest that you contact the Airflow club of America.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

From an article in Hemmings, re Chrysler Airflows..."The Airflow's body was developed in conjunction with engineers at the Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Co., and Budd eventually supplied many of the Airflow's stampings. To keep production costs in line, Airflows were designed to share many common major components, making parts swapping among cars possible to some degree today. No one is stamping out reproduction body panels for Airflows, so your best bet is to locate the best car you can find or hunt up a parts car.

The flat sections of the Airflow's floors are made of wood, so restorers commonly replace rotted sections with 5/8-inch-thick marine-grade plywood, painted black, Librenjak said. Common areas for body rust include the rocker panels near the running boards, the rear trunk area (on cars with either the inboard or outboard trunk) and, occasionally, the lower cowl where the fenders and doors meet."...Supports Don's reference in post #2

• Like 1

From an article in Hemmings, re Chrysler Airflows..."The Airflow's body was developed in conjunction with engineers at the Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Co., and Budd eventually supplied many of the Airflow's stampings. To keep production costs in line, Airflows were designed to share many common major components, making parts swapping among cars possible to some degree today. No one is stamping out reproduction body panels for Airflows, so your best bet is to locate the best car you can find or hunt up a parts car.

The flat sections of the Airflow's floors are made of wood, so restorers commonly replace rotted sections with 5/8-inch-thick marine-grade plywood, painted black, Librenjak said. Common areas for body rust include the rocker panels near the running boards, the rear trunk area (on cars with either the inboard or outboard trunk) and, occasionally, the lower cowl where the fenders and doors meet."...Supports Don's reference in post #2

As mentioned earlier, I have seen wood in a '37 Chrysler Airflow with the straight 8 engine and overdrive. Car belonged to a club member who would drive it regularly and he is the one who showed me the wood in the floor pans. It surprised me, too, but I could tell it was done at the factory and not a patch job as the above quote verifies.

From an article in Hemmings, re Chrysler Airflows..."The Airflow's body was developed in conjunction with engineers at the Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Co., and Budd eventually supplied many of the Airflow's stampings. To keep production costs in line, Airflows were designed to share many common major components, making parts swapping among cars possible to some degree today. 

I'm already finding that this statement is pretty far off - not much is the same. My 36 is a 1 year engine, not much is even interchangeable with other years of Airflows! Even the wheels have a different bolt pattern. 5 on a 5" circle, like the 3/4 ton pickups of later years.

I am talking to Airflow club menbers and they are a great source of info.  I'm lucky that mine runs, drives and stops and has no rust. So at least I gt to use it as I improve it, not spend years trying to get it fixed enough to take a drive. If it shows up Tuesday, I'll have a license on it and drive by Wednesday.

I'll post pictures once it gets here, as there seems to be some interest.