1949 dodge pilot house

Npence

To down shift, double clutch and rev up the engine to the rmp/s needed or a little higher.  Does not hurt the tranny.  I do it all the time. If you do not know how to double clutch, just rev up the engine, place the gear so it can engage put a little pressure on it and when the revs are right it will sortof 'pull itself in'..  I like to be in 2nd on slow roll when i approach a red light, I try to avoid dead stops.  

I think the only way one can hurt a tyranny is by letting it run out of oil. 

my 49 dodge truck is leaking oil out of both the in and out fittings in the block that go to the oil filter.  The fittings are directional and brass, the lines are copper.   Anyone know if these lines are high pressure.  Can they be replaced with something easier to work with...The directional fittings  (45 degree) cant be tightened because the then dont line up properly with the lines...Any advice is welcome

my 49 dodge truck is leaking oil out of both the in and out fittings in the block that go to the oil filter.  The fittings are directional and brass, the lines are copper.   Anyone know if these lines are high pressure.  Can they be replaced with something easier to work with...The directional fittings  (45 degree) cant be tightened because the then dont line up properly with the lines...Any advice is welcome

If they are leaking they can probably go a full turn to be lined up again and actually tight. Use a proper wrench so you don't crush them.

Getting another fitting the same size as the line fittings are and installing them into the 45* fittings before attempting to turn them an additional turn or when installing them new, will help prevent collapsing or twisting the 45* fitting with the wrench.

the very nature of the forum is to ask and learn but there is also a certain amount of given in the process...Don's answer may seem a bit crude to some but to me they are most obvious for anyone that has been around cars during their lifetime. Many here assume things and offer answers only to find out later that any given of changes may have been made over the years and not revealed when asked by the owner. A person new to the hobby may not know these facts..however any person with a new toy should read read read and get a full picture of his new toy long before posing what-ifs. That is my take and unchanging mindset. Any person coming here to ask a question needs to point out the relationship data for the question, make, model, year, voltage system and other pertenant upgrades else one is going to assume stock and answer in said manner. And if troubleshooting, what has already been done. ruled out etc etc..only when the parameters are fully defined are the answers reasonably tailored to be exact.

I am not defending Don nor am I attacking anyone here...I am only stating that we all need to be a bit more forthcoming when posing question and giving more background information on the subject. And it is also a well know fact that a lot more research could well be done ahead of time. This forum is not sole source information. There are many online resources that would answer 95% of most questions that show up here. It is my choice to answer or pass on any given subject as it arises on the forum..just as it is for any reader to follow any person's reply or pass and move along.

Got the truck on the road today so glad they improved trucks since 1949. Top speed 50mph brakes work good but not like trucks today.glad I have plenty of back roads to drive this truck.

post-7452-0-13992000-1414260798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Npence
  • Like 2

Been driving the truck around this weekend. Takes a lot of focus to drive this truck doesn't drive in a straight line that's for sure. Going to replace the tie rod ends and see if that helps at all. One thing I can't figure out is that no matter what I do the gears grind a little going into each gear. Is that normal? And if I'm in 4th gear and take a turn I can get it into third until I'm going 5 mph and even with clutch pushed in grinds to get it into 3 rd. any ideas?

Check the alignment of your front tires. If they are toed out a little, instead of a slight toe in, it will wonder terribly.

As for the transmission, you have a spur gear 4 speed which means that there are no syncronizers for smooth shifting. This means you will have to learn the art of double clutching. When you shift up, from 2-3 or 3-4 , depress the clutch and shift to neutral, then release the clutch and allow the engine RPM to come down to the appropriate speed for the next gear. Now depress the clutch pedal again and slip it into the next gear. It'll take a bit of practice. Without syncros in the transmission you need to match the input shaft speed to the countershaft speed, depending on what the next gear will be.

For downshifts you will need to go to neutral, then rev the engine to bring up the shaft speed, then try to find the gear. This one is a little more tricky.

Merle

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something is wrong with your front suspenseon. Before i ever drove mine truck, I put in new king pins, then a3:73 rear axle. I cruse with the semi's and pass them if i wish, with ease. And I usually drive with one hand. Drives like I have power steering.

Sounds like you need to lube your speedo and cable. On the back of the speedo is a lubrication wick, a long tubular looking screw right next to where the cable connects. Pull that out and give it a few drops of light oil.

When mine did that I also disconnected the cable at both ends flushed some solvent through while spinning the inner cable with a drill. After all the old nasty lube was flushed out I relubricated it the same way. It's been smooth ever since.

Been driving the truck around this weekend. Takes a lot of focus to drive this truck doesn't drive in a straight line that's for sure. Going to replace the tie rod ends and see if that helps at all. One thing I can't figure out is that no matter what I do the gears grind a little going into each gear. Is that normal? And if I'm in 4th gear and take a turn I can get it into third until I'm going 5 mph and even with clutch pushed in grinds to get it into 3 rd. any ideas?

Check the king pins, this could be part of your problem as to why it doesn't handle like it should. I believe NAPA auto parts carries them, they had a set for my '52 B3b.

-Chris