1949 dodge pilot house

Npence

I just picked up this dodge truck which is my first old truck. I love it so far just need to rebuild the brakes and should be on the road again. Looking for new turn signal and tail light set up. Always would like to find a wiring harness kit for this truck and re wire the whole truck.

post-7452-0-75134500-1412630777_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Play with the site buttons and you will find lots of stuff here to help you with your truck!

Wiring

The search button is your best friend and IMO keeping all your build questions in one thread (ie build thread) will help us remember what was going on with your truck.

Welcome.

48D

Thanks guys I will search the site even more. Do they repop the chrome grill pieces mine are pretty beat up. And was they always chrome or could you get painted ones from the factory.

I don't know of repops, you have to search yourself, use the classifieds section (for sale and wanted) and there is always Epay

WOW! NICE. I would leave the sign, but that's me. A new polish, disc brakes, better rear axle ratio, radial tires and you will have a fun truck. [those are my minimums] others do differently, each to his own. The individuality of truck personalization is what I like about this forum. WELCOME.

PS: Just remove the word "LADY": Country Bug Cool

Edited by pflaming

Hi Guys.

Have had my 49 stored for 30 years,  Just decided to put it on the road again...Rebuilt engine, New Brakes, wheels, cylinders, exhaust, wiring, gas tank , etc,  Pretty much most of the important stuff is done.

Trying to find out what the original rear light configuration was on the 49 b series pickup...trying to stay all original or as close a possible..  Most photos I have seen only show a single light onthe driver;s side over the license plate.    I have turnsignel modification on stearing column.    Any input or photos would be greatly appreciated

Ken smith 

Yes, back in the day the one tail/brake light was standard. A right side tail/brake light was an option. Turn signals were also an aftermarket option.

I purchased reproduction tail light brackets, left and right, from Vintage Power Wagons and put lights on both sides of my truck. I also added turn signals with a Signal Stat 900 switch. I converted the front parking lights to a dual element socket and put amber LED bulbs in them from SuperBrightLEDs.com

Merle

• Like 1

Any body know where I can find a good water pump? Found mine leaking antifreeze today.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Water-Pump-New/_/R-TFW42554_0258160574

I'd keep the old one and get it rebuilt. I personally trust a good rebuild with an old American core more than new manufacture.

There are a couple of different versions of pumps.   And you need to match up what you have or you'll have pulley alignment issues.   At least that was my experience with the 251 in my 2.5 ton.   I think I still have the boxes on the shelf from the one I did in my 230, and the 251.  Mike

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

Small problem on my 49 dodge pickup...The brass fittings that go to and from the oil filter are leaking...They are directional and so if I try to tighten them they are pointed in the wrong direction.  Are these lines under any pressure...Right now they are brass with copper lines...Is that necessary..  Can I replace them with something more flexible...   Also,,, where is the best place to buy 6 volt bulbs for the taillights....Thanks in advance for your advice

The lines for the oil filter could be almost any material that can withstand maximum engine oil pressure, around 60 psi, and is comparable with petroleum products. Mine are steel, made from brake line. As for 6 volt bulbs, any good parts store should be able to get them if they don't have them in stock. Take one of your old ones or find the number off if to match up.

10w-30 would be OK. I run 10W-40 in mine. As for the filter part number, it depends on which filter canister you have. I have a filter from the Deluxe Filter Company. It calls for a "JC" cartridge. This is the sock type filter which crosses to the Napa 1011, Wix 51011, or Baldwin JC405. I prefer the Baldwin filters as they are a better fit into the canister.

Merle

• Like 1

How often should the brakes be adjusted in? Was thinking every 500 to 1000 miles

I adjust mine when the pedal travel seems more than I'd like. Initial adjustment on new shoes does not last as long as subsequent adjustments as the shoes wear in a little faster until the full length of the lining is matched to the drum.

And, of course, your brake lining wear will depend on your driving style.