Rear end swap?

Uncle-Pekka

My old friend in next door gave me a rear axel with wheels, that has been sitting on his back yard for almost 50 years.

Well, the car, 1954 New Yorker, was parted out by his father 50 years ago and his grand dad used the axle for horse carriage for some 10...15 years.

Then the carriage was left in high grass and the bed rotten off. This summer my pal decided to clean up the meadows and found the remains.

There's oil in the 3rd member and the odds are it's good for use.

I found, that the rear end of a New Yorker 4D sedan should be 3,73:1 ratio (?)

Will it be possible to use the rear end gear in my D24? - will it be interchangeable?

Thanks,

Pekka

Unless there was a difference from dodge to Chrysler it should work. i found a '55 3.73 dodge rear end, i pulled the axle shafts out, unbolted the third member and bolted it into my 40's housing, i used my original axle shafts as they were longer than the dodge shafts. Everything worked great, and that was 40,000 miles ago, this winter i will be swapping it out for a 3.54 ratio third member.

Thanks RoadKing & Tim!

Interesting idea that it could be 3.54:1 - keeps me dreaming of illegal speeds...

I'll keep up-dating when I get to inspect the gear again. It's in my winter garage, 180 miles northwest from my home.

Didn't you install an OD transmission?

The 3.54 might be too tall of a gear ratio when the OD is engaged. Cruise at 90mph (145 kpm?) with heavy  throttle use on flat ground?

My 50 4 dr. Plymouth has an OD with 3.93 rear ration that works well but I want to try 3.73 to see how it works out.

Had a 3.54 rear gear set and sold it to someone without and OD trans. From what i've read hear before, decided that I should not use it.

Other opinions for Uncle?

DJ

I'm going to try it, the '40 is a relatively lite car, worst case i swap the 3.54 out and go back to the 3.73, the Dodge is probably a little heavier, but you can always change it back.

Well,

At this point I am just curious to learn, would it be possible to use the guts from the 1954 New Yorker 3rd member for my car.

The odds are, that the '54 most probably would be 3,73, but nothing has been verified yet.

Yes, today I'm running 4,1:1 rear end and R10 OD. Smooth sailing, but the engine revs still kind of high at 60 mph.

I belive I would try 3,73 if that's possible by using the parts in house now.

However, all that will be for spring time or next summer.

As said; an exciting possibility brought up by Tim, that in rare case the 1954 rear could be 3,54:1.

May not be useful for me with the OD, but I'm sure I'll find demand for such gear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tonight we drove to the old home town and I finally had chance to take a look at the 1954 rear axle as planned...

Apart from the cast numbers, the only stamped numbers I found on the 3rd member housing were as follows:

Small stamped numbers, low values, too... I would not expect the number of teeth were that low?

Do they make any sense to you?

Its Chrysler............BIG TEETH............lol...........sorry.................will go back in my corner........just a thought...........if you find any spare snow we could use some down here.............29C here in sunny Sth Grafton at 7.30 Monday morning........expected to be mid to high 30's today............regards, andyd

Christmas picnics on the beach- Brisbane to Sidney!  Probably more-the two places I worked for a while. 10 years ago.

DJ

• 2 months later...

Finally I got some time to work at the garage this week.

After patching a couple of minor holes in the rear seat floor I took time to study the Chrysler rear axle.

To study the 3r member guts one must first pull the thing apart.

As this one has been last 40 years exposed to the elements it was somewhat a challenge to disassemble.

1st I needed a puller for the wheel hubs. I had a closed C shaped old flywheel puller of unknown purpose lying around.

Then I hunted a strong pipe flange from scrap metal. A bit of turning for correct hole diameter and drilling for correct pitch of wheel bolt circle.

Weld the two parts together and Pronto! We have the crudest puller ever seen:

7108961b70121bb717a4f0ad3384c0b2.jpg

Unfortunately the cone at the hub did not gave away that easily...

fba3285425cee404eeebc6047fcf38aa.jpg

I wrenched the puller incredibly tight and hammered the brake drum radially and axially, but no movement at hub joint.

Amazingly the 20mm thick flange started to BEND!

d4cfa458810bd827a21c8452ea70d452.jpg

After some thinking I found only one way to proceed: I ground off the heads of the five bolts holding the brake back plate to the axle tube end.

When the plate was loose between the tube and brake drum I was able to help the puller by hitting the hub axially from behind.

The hub finally came off from the drive shaft end:

328935fa8682c2aa928d7615568b267f.jpg

The same procedure on the other side and the 3rd member was finally free to come out:

6abeab3e6e8c8f1e3124725ab25374de.jpg

Luckily it sems there has been some oil in all these years when rolling under a horse carriage and tractor trailer. No water there.

Pretty good condition at the first sight.

The number of drive shaft splines is 16 pcs (C16) - Does anyone know will it fit D24 drive shafts?

Edit: Just found an old PM by Tim where he told 1948 has C10 splines and 1954 has C16 (as I found it today)

Thus I need to pull the 3rd member apart to swap the differential side gears...

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

I would have thought you could easily find the Volvo rear puller in your area cheap.  It is similar in design with 360 welded threaded tower and It is 5 on 4.5 solid built.  The Volvo and other European cars have Salisbury rear axles which is the European Dana...very much useable..

• 1 month later...

Back at the garage... I counted the teeth. Pinion has 11 & wheel 37. It makes 3.36:1 ratio... Is it possible? The stamp"7 26" in 3rd member housing is obviously false as I was suspicious of too low a number of pinion teeth.