Bully

Royhldn

Thought I'd share some pics of our 51' B3B (we named Bully) that we brought home late last month.  I've been working on her most everyday, starting with a complete new wiring harness front to back.  I think it's going to be a fun project can't wait to get her on the road.  Bed is not original, might be chevy, but it will do for now!

post-7359-0-74320400-1412429847_thumb.jpg

post-7359-0-44664400-1412429850_thumb.jpg

post-7359-0-84134700-1412429852_thumb.jpg

post-7359-0-35491400-1412429855_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good... How is the interior? I like the size of the exterior mirror.. ( also, might not be original) Kind of want to see the bed. :^)

Years ago on my 36 plymouth the horn would sound every once in awhile.   We found that the ground wire was laying across the bourdon tube for the temp indicator.  The roadside repair was to route the wire over the horn until we could get it back home and fix it.   Just a guess.

I find the horn wiring on these trucks interesting as this is the second photo I have seen in the past few days. Do the wire wraps alter the sound? B)

attachicon.gifhorn1.jpg

attachicon.gifhorn.jpg

On PP's, I'd guess that's his convenient place to store spare wire for roadside repairs.

Wonder where he keeps the wire stripping tool (knife) and his vinyl tape?

Since Royhldn ride is new to him the po's idea? Or he copied PP ?

DJ

Very nice. My 53 Fargo dosn't have that red hose from top of water pump.thermostat to fire wall. The plug is there to attach a hose on mine though. Is it a heater hose?

Red hose in the pic normally would run from the front "thermostat connection to the heater", "in" and the heater "out" would run to the fitting on the back of the motor.

Appears you do not have a heater now, if ever.

Maybe the motor came from another vehicle with  a heater.

Close the valve at the motors rear and leave for now. It's not doing anything.

DJ

Red hose in the pic normally would run from the front "thermostat connection to the heater", "in" and the heater "out" would run to the fitting on the back of the motor.

DJ

Are you sure about that? The hottest water is in the back of the block and I believe that is the heater supply. The heater return is plumbed to the suction side of the water pump and comingles with the cool water from the bottom of the radiator.

Actually you most likely are correct. I've don't remember any heater with labels with in/out, as I doubt it makes a diff. and long as warm water circulates. But some may have labels.

On my 50 Ply. accessory heater I just followed the parts book diagram which the front connection near the thermostat went to the heater box with the heater core and at the outlet went to the connection at the back of the head. Flow?? As long as the flow is there it works.

Merely trying to answer a Q. about the hose that did nothing, if labels were backwards and misinformed anyone--   ;)

DJ

Hi  Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I tackled the horn today and found out the horn didn't work because there was no connection at the button.  So I fabricated one and now it works like it should.  No more wires hanging around!  Not sure how to add more pics since it wouldn't let me add all that I had previously.  

I need to add turn signal capability any suggestions?  I've looked at Ebay and they have some assume they are generic and can be used on a 6v system.  Thoughts would be appreciated, thx

To me I'd rather spend a little bit more and get a quality one. I am using a signal stat 900 in both my truck and coupe.

I need to add turn signal capability any suggestions?  I've looked at Ebay and they have some assume they are generic and can be used on a 6v system.  Thoughts would be appreciated, thx

check the forum "classifieds" truck parts, seems like I have seen someone (4th add down) that has some? 

Great looking project. Welcome to the group,Take your time do it right and enjoy it. Then drive the wheels off of it!

I use a period correct turn signal unit on mine, but any unit can be used as long as you have a 6 volt flasher and of course bulbs.

Nice truck. You're going to have fun.

Any brand of signal will work, but I've read here in past posts that cheap ($15) ones get flaky. Everyone liked the signal stats. My friend has one on his '62 Willies and had no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like my temp gauge is not working, I've checked wiring and it's good but don't get anything on the gauge.  Any advice on how I might be able to fix the sending unit?  Or is the a substitute available.  What is the normal operating temp of a flathead 6?

looks like my temp gauge is not working, I've checked wiring and it's good but don't get anything on the gauge.  Any advice on how I might be able to fix the sending unit?  Or is the a substitute available.  What is the normal operating temp of a flathead 6?

What does your service manual say about gauge not working? What wiring did you check?

• Like 1

When did trucks go to an electric temperature gauge?

My ’46-’54 Plymouth factory service manual indicates that Plymouths through at least ’54 had a “mechanical” temperature gauge.