Wiring harness

cornwall classics
Go to solution Solved by cornwall classics,

I have a 1947 Desoto 3 window coupe and need to replace the wiring. Can anyone recomend where i can buy a new harness/ loom? I did find a link to a company called Riwire based in Rhode Island but there loom is over $1000.  Has any one used them or any other company? Hope someone can help, Graham.

If you are looking for an original style harness in original cloth covered wires..you going to pay to play..they are not cheap by any means and RI is top quality for their commanding top of the line pricing.   These are actual 6 volt harnesses and are usually sought after by those that show their vehicle and get judged on the point system. 

If you have other ideas for your build there are other options....a bit more  info on your intended use will probably get some replies from folks having gone before you...

As PLY ADAMS  has stated Rhode Island Wiring is a quality company that reproduces factory looking wiring harness that have the proper color and sticker codes for each individual wire that would be used for your particular car or truck.  If you are going after point judginf like for an AACA event or NAtional Desoto Jusding then you will need to have a new harness made up for you with the correct brading and color coded wires.

Or

If you have a driver car that you will show at local shows and are not going for AACA or any ohter specific points judging then you can make you own wire harnes by  using modern wire that has the plastic coating on the wires.

As a side note the wires that RI wiring uses and also the other companies are also plastice coated but then they pullthe appropriate cloth covering over the plastic coat.

It all according to what you want.

I have used RI wiring for some of my rewire that I did on my 1939 Desoto and they have a top quality product and they are easy to work with if you have a special request. 

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

In addition to RI Wiring, Harnesses Unlimited and YnZ's make top quality original style cloth covered harnesses. If you have some special needs or desires like turn signal wiring, etc., I think all three of them can make up harnesses that look original but have the extra wires you specify.

If you have the time and the patience, I have replaced every wire in my car one-at-time.  It's not hard with a wiring diagram.  If you use the larger guage that is required for 6 volt, then you will be fine if you ever convert to 12 volt. 

post-1228-0-47332100-1412387868_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've used RI for 2 cars (it was many years ago) but I don't recall it being $1000. Of course I did it in 3 sections and it may have added up to that. But with RI you get very easy to read schematics and everything just seems to fit. All the colors match and while I don't have lots of money for me (show or not) it was worth it.

The car is a daily driver and as i am in England it will only be going to local shows which dont use the points system for prizes. I would like a loom that incorporates the wires that go from the transmission if possible. I have had a few problems recently with the car since i had it converted to 12v and after seeking advice on here i put it back to 6v as i was told the solonoids and governors on the transmission dont like 12v going through them. The wiring definately needs replacing as i dont want her to go up in flames. Can anyone recomend a cheaper option to the cloth covered harnesses that are labeled well for fitting? Thank for everyones help so far.

The car is a daily driver and as i am in England it will only be going to local shows which dont use the points system for prizes. I would like a loom that incorporates the wires that go from the transmission if possible. I have had a few problems recently with the car since i had it converted to 12v and after seeking advice on here i put it back to 6v as i was told the solonoids and governors on the transmission dont like 12v going through them. The wiring definately needs replacing as i dont want her to go up in flames. Can anyone recomend a cheaper option to the cloth covered harnesses that are labeled well for fitting? Thank for everyones help so far.

See Don Coatney's post above............

• Like 2

Since you've gone back to 6 volts, I don't think the Rebel kit that Don used is the one for you.  There really are not a lot of circuits to deal with so building your own harness isn't that hard.  I don't know if the car side of the forum has the same type of info contained on the truck side in the DPECTA (pilot house trucks) web site.  On that site are complete instructions including colors, lengths and routing for all the wires on our trucks.  I hope someone more familiar with the available car information can point you to similar info.  I rewired my truck using the DPECTA info for about $125 worth of wire, lugs, tape, etc.