chrome bars on large trucks

wallytoo

i picked up a shop manual "supplement" for B-1 series dodge trucks (six wheel B-1-VX). in it is shown a picture of the six wheel truck (what in modern parlance would be called a 10-wheeler) that has chrome grille bars with black headlight doors. from my recollection of bunn's B-series book, the large trucks didn't have chrome bars (and mine doesn't), yet the pic in the manual shows (i assume) a factory large truck with chrome bars.

the supplement describes the operation of tandem axles and the torque divider in the b-1-vx.

sort of interesting, but likely not of much use to me.

The heavy 2-3/4 to 4 ton dodge trucks did have chrome grilles-mainly on a lot of fire trucks.

There is a twin screw 3-1/2 ton VX down in the portland oregon area. A very rare truck. It's the only one I have ever seen.

That would be mine. It's in central Oregon south of Bend. By the way it doesn't have chrome grill bars either. Though it's a B3VX-190 so a little difference in the grill. I've also decided to sell it since I don't have the time for so many projects. Anyone interested contact me through PM, I'm open to all offers!

George

Yes George I was referring to yours.

I would buy it but I have way too many and they are a hard sell when the time comes.I have a good engine and trans for it too.

Oh well.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

My 2.5 tonner has stainless bars and headlight rings.  Like DodgeB4YA said, it was a firetruck in a previous life.

i considered fire trucks. however, a twin-screw would have been an extremely rare firetruck, no? also, with the black headlight doors, i was thinking that the truck was for more commercial service, rather than the more typical plentiful chrome/stainless accoutrements common to firetrucks.

no biggie either way. perhaps it was destined for a firehouse somewhere.