Rear drums

DLK

My 40 dodge has a plymouth drum on the left rear. Looks a little different, and there is the stud vs bolt deal, but with the wheel on nobody can tell. Yes, both are left hand. Of course, there is no reason you can't use a drum from the right side and confuse everyone.

while this may not be the answer you looking for but throwing good maoney after bad is something that would be weighing heavy on my mind at this time....for the moeny you may want to consider going with disc conversion in the front and upgrading the axle at the rear and if not the axle then at minimum the backing plates and modern (well. mid 60's Mopar) self centering self adjusting brakes..

I am seriously considering what you suggest for the fronts. For the rears if I get decent wheel cylinders and shoes hopefully with new grease seals I won't need to pull the drums again as few miles as I put on the car.

Accoding to my wagner brake master catalog here are the various Wheel Cylinder numbers that you need:

Wheel Cyl Right rear   EW10588 

Wheel Cyl Left rear    EW10588  these were used from 1946 to 1955

Front  Upper right  EW10581  used from 46-55

Front Lower  right  EW10583

Front Left Upper  EW10580 

Front Left Lower  EW 10582

Dodge/Chrysler/Desoto and Plymouth from 46-55  all used these same wheel cylinders

Rich HArtung

If you search for these numbers these are the numbers that all major brake companies used to fined they wheel cylinders

Napa like any other company will only re-box a part with their numbering system...Companies Like Wagner, Bendix and Centric are some of the major players..whatever the location of the makers they employ so will be the mainstream of the parts..simply call or go in and ask for the origin of the parts..

I can get wheel cylinders from them but wonder if they are USA or cheap foreign copies. Does anyone have experience using their wheel cylinders? I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Dave both my car and truck are running wheel cylinders from Brake and Equipment. I suspect its the same stuff napa would get too. Like Tim and Don said call or go in and talk to them.

If it is any consolation I went out and checked all the boags and boxes of the most recent brake related parts ihave bought for all cars new and old and in between...Wagner is all bagged from China...all have served well with no problems...again it is not the Chinese at fault but your parent companies sourcing low labor/production cost...usually their quality control are in effect there...just the inspector makes way fewer coins...

Parts most likely will be china. I ordered a 40 ford M/cyl stating I wanted a USA-they said thats what it would be...came in twice as china crapola.

.010" piston to cylinder clearance common.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

as all the manufacturers have taken their operations overseas your chances of getting US made is slim..again however the parts dealers still recognized Wagner, Raybestos and  Bendix as American owned companies..but that is where it stops..not defending anyone here..just saying it is not the fault of your parts house..low cost and high wages for production does not go hand in hand..

Most auto parts stores are the same item just a different box. Napa uses Cardone or United Brakes as there suppliers. Rebuild will have on average 3yr/36000 mile warranty. New if available will usually have a lifetime warranty. As far as USA made vs Overseas made, it is up to the original supplier but with the political restrictions and labor prices it is very hard pressed to find a USA made anything and if you do you have to pay out the nose for it.

Look at the hand tool industry, Snap-on, MAC, Craftsman, Napa... all made overseas the only USA manufacture I know of is Cornwell Tools. Look under the hood of any USA made vehicle after 1985 and the Asian parts are abundant.

You have better luck finding Assembled in USA then Made in USA.

I can get wheel cylinders from them but wonder if they are USA or cheap foreign copies. Does anyone have experience using their wheel cylinders? I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Dkopesky:

So now that I have listed the Original Wheel Cylinders on your first posting now you can start a search for these NOS America made wheel cylinders.  Since they were used from approx 1946 to 55 for all of the Mopar cars you might have some luck in finding them in a swap meet.

Here isa suggestion try doing some GOOGLE search for Brake vendors. You might beable to find a few that might still have some of these NOS cylinders in their supply.  If they have them then I would buy what ever they have for future use.  Do not know what swap meets are in your area but that would also be a good try.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I get my original brake parts rebuilt at Hagens Auto Parts in Puyallup, Wash. They do their the work in house and resleave  wheel cylinders and master cylinders with stainless. You can ship them your old parts to be rebuilt. They do top shelf work. I paid $65.00 per wheel cylinder for my '38, without shipping.

contact info if interested is 253 845 7020.  1526 River Road, Puyallup, Wa. 98371-3875

• Like 1

Difficult to find as the thread title has little to do with the content therein.  Not an uncommon thing. Threads here (edit) often sometimes have a "lead in" title that does little to address what a thread is about. That isn't of much use when someone is searching to solve a problem. Not being the forum police, just an observation :D

Edited by shel_ny

As usual Don Coatney is right - I should not have created multiple threads on this brake issue.  Instead of posting questions here I should just call or email Young Ed - he seems to have good logical answer for all my questions as I am sure many others have found. :)

Most auto parts stores are the same item just a different box. Napa uses Cardone or United Brakes as there suppliers. Rebuild will have on average 3yr/36000 mile warranty. New if available will usually have a lifetime warranty. As far as USA made vs Overseas made, it is up to the original supplier but with the political restrictions and labor prices it is very hard pressed to find a USA made anything and if you do you have to pay out the nose for it.

Look at the hand tool industry, Snap-on, MAC, Craftsman, Napa... all made overseas the only USA manufacture I know of is Cornwell Tools. Look under the hood of any USA made vehicle after 1985 and the Asian parts are abundant.

You have better luck finding Assembled in USA then Made in USA.

Suggest you check your facts on this. While some of snap on tools are made overseas the majority of them are still made in the USA and the country of origin is clearly listed for each tool on their website.

• Like 1