A Rarely Seen Old MoPaR.....5 Pics.....

frankieflathead

Seen yesterday at the Hemmings Motor News Concours at the Saratoga (NY) Automobile Museum, this Australian 1935 Dodge DU Phaeton is the only one in the U.S. and perhaps in the world. It was shipped to the Land Down Under as a cowl and chassis and received body #1 built by the T.J. Richards Company when it got there. It's reportedly one of only twelve ever built. 

Rear stop lights (not turn signals as previously stated) are very unusual. The lamp at the bottom that looks like a miniature railroad lantern not only lights up, but swings back and forth when the the driver steps on the brakes!  (see last thumbnail) Dodge was one of the featured makes at the show, commemorating the brand's 100th anniversary.

aIMG_2642.jpg

post-515-0-23559200-1411993658_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-85800000-1411993658_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-43950400-1411993659_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-07591700-1411993660_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankieflathead
  • Like 4

Interesting Dodge. Thanks for the photos. Studebaker used a similar  swinging light as a brake light in the mid thirties - vacuum operated. I believe they were available as an accessory called "Studebaker Wig-Wag"

• Like 1

Interesting Dodge. Thanks for the photos. Studebaker used a similar  swinging light as a brake light in the mid thirties - vacuum operated. I believe they were available as an accessory called "Studebaker Wig-Wag"

Now that you mention it, I think that's what they did on this car, too. It was a long day and I wasn't taking notes. My mistake and thanx for the correct information, Ralph.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=dua-saf+wig+wag&client=firefox-a&hs=pnN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LrMpVJHfO4acyQSH5YDgBA&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=933&bih=433

We have had some unusal mopars down here over the years........the 1939 Plymouth Roadster Ute was pulled apart by a mate of mine for the front sheet metal and other bits...I was lucky to get the cowl, passenger door, floor and back panel as seen in this pic...I kept it for a while but ended up selling it and have no idea where it ended up.....most 1939 Dodge & Plymouth utes seen here are a 3 window style, same roofline to a Willys Coupe, tho 5 windows were done also........the 1940 Dodge Coupe is an Oz one I had, this pic was taken when sold have attached another pic (Dodge Story)that shows my car before I got it...these were actually made from a 4dr sedan by T J Richards the Oz body builders that Chrysler decided to use.......andyd    

post-612-0-93293300-1412026353_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67107600-1412026428_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. Gorgeous car. However, it does contain one of my pet peeves, a saggy door handle on the right front door. It's not bad but on a likely professionally restored car, it should not have that. Lots of easy fixes for that. Rear door on the same side if fine.

Edited by RobertKB

Robert.......that handles not sagging....as its RHD and downunder to you guys its actually sagging up.......lol.........oops........will go back in my corner now.......but you are right re that small point, it does detract from a nice resto....andyd

• Like 2

Thats two i know of now a guy around the corner from me has one all original got good patina you would say just surface rust rarely see it out . Didnt know he was even there till i bumped into him at a local car show he also has a 36 Desoto roadster not many of them made in Australia as well.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Body number 1 is a Roadster in New Zealand , you car is the proto type of al tourer roadster m the cowl and windcreen is uniqly T. J. Richards , as they had the exclusive rite to build the Roadsters and tourers / pheatons