What kind of damage or trouble?

What kind of damage or trouble we have if our engine is ABOVE oil level?

***DOUBT:When my truck was WITHOUT oil filter I always changed the engine oil puting 5 US quarts(4,72liters).

Now WITH oil filter:

*FIRST QUESTION:Have I to put the same 5 US quarts(4,72 liters), without put nothing in the oil filter?

*SECOND QUESTION:Have I to put the same 5 US quarts,first completing the oil filter?

When the oil level is too high, there will be excessive splash inside the engine. Two things will happen. First, there will be oil escaping through the engine vents, making a mess. Second, the oil is more likely to foam causing a breakdown in the oil's film properties.

I am asking this because my dipstick is broken since many years ago.My engine is an INDUSTRIAL 251.

Someone send this Guy a dip stick, will see what I have also.

Even with a dip stick of a different length, you can add X amount of oil to the engine, then mark it on the new dipstick and be good to go...

• Like 1

Someone send this Guy a dip stick, will see what I have also.

Even with a dip stick of a different length, you can add X amount of oil to the engine, then mark it on the new dipstick and be good to go...

It is a good idea and we did it many years ago.Now first I am wanting to discover the total US quarts to do the new mark.5 or 6 or 5 1/2 quarts.

Is your motor original, or from another source? My industrial 251 holds a bit more oil, at around 7-8 litres with the oil filter filled, but it was out of a combine. My 218 held much less, and the 218 industrial I have under cover I have yet to examine any differences.

Me thinks-regardless of oil pan depth, width, etc., the level below the crank should be the same as per reason mentioned before.

The extra capacity is the to help keep the oil temperature lower with engines that run under a loaded max torque required constantly

IE- combines, compressors, boat motors, on and on. Truck motors often have at least an extra quart.

Dip stick depth In the oil should be the same. There were many different combos of length of the tube into the block (some with none) that changes the length of the dipstick to show the same level of oil below the crank. Block type (25" vs. short er block) may vary this measurement. That I don't personally know.

If your length of dipstick tube above the side of the block matches Don's, then the oil level mark ( per measurement given) on the dipstick should work with  Don's measurements.

Make any sense of this?

DJ

5 quarts in the pan for trucks up to 2-1/2 ton and all six cylinder passenger cars 1946-52 should give a full reading on the dip stick regardless of long or short dip stick..

Some dipsticks are stamped 5 quarts.

Add 1 more quart for a standard size oil filter.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Is your motor original, or from another source? My industrial 251 holds a bit more oil, at around 7-8 litres with the oil filter filled, but it was out of a combine. My 218 held much less, and the 218 industrial I have under cover I have yet to examine any differences.

Original engine.

5 quarts in the pan for trucks up to 2-1/2 ton and all six cylinder passenger cars 1946-52 should give a full reading on the dip stick regardless of long or short dip stick..

Some dipsticks are stamped 5 quarts.

Add 1 more quart for a standard size oil filter.

In most cases I'd agree if the vehicle had a matched to the motor   a set of proper tube and dipstick.

I bought a car with No motor and 2 motors later with No tubes and no dipsticks! A friend gave me some mis-matced parts to make something work.

Working on some Mopar industrial motors most were as you say, but some required and extra quart to get the same dipstick readings,

by also  comparing the length below the side of the block! Modified or optional larger pans? Can't say for sure, just know there was some variations. May have been rare but I'd thought I'd mention because of the Industrial original usage.

Also my experience with mismatched parts.

;)

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

I have a 15 inch dip stick here, it also says 4 Imp quarts, which is 5 US quarts. Imperial quarts are 40 ounces, and US quarts are 32 ounces.

Will look around for a longer oil stick for you, and let you know in a few days.

So 4 Imperial quarts = 160 ounces plus 1 US quart for the oil filter 32 ounces totals 192 ounces of oil or 6 US quarts or 5.7 litres of engine oil.

4US Qts=3,5 IMP Qts

5US Qts=4,375 IMP Qts.(in the pan)

1US Qts=0,946 liters(in the oil filter).

Total=6US Qts=(5x0,946)+0,946=4,73 liters+0,946 liters=5,676 liters=5,7 liters.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 15 inch dip stick here, it also says 4 Imp quarts, which is 5 US quarts. Imperial quarts are 40 ounces, and US quarts are 32 ounces.

Will look around for a longer oil stick for you, and let you know in a few days.

So 4 Imperial quarts = 160 ounces plus 1 US quart for the oil filter 32 ounces totals 192 ounces of oil or 6 US quarts or 5.7 litres of engine oil.

Don said me 251 dipstick is 16,5".Bradley said me tube is 10".Then 6,5" will stay inside the pan.I am based these datas.I am still thinking that with 5,12 liters my engine continues with leak.I intend to withdraw the leaks.*PS:If you(anyone) can send me the measures of "ADD OIL" to point of dipstick and "FULL" to the "ADD OIL".Thanks.