Transmission id

meadowbrook

Greetings.

I came across a manual trans with side shifting that has the following numbers on its sides.

Near the speedo cable fitting, on the passenger side tail housing, if has 'D8' cast in.

On the same side, it also says '853853-18', or the last 2 digits might be '78'.

On the opposite side, it says '853880-30'.

Any clues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
18 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

Sorry to resurrect a thread...

Can anyone confirm that the bare 1946 to 1950 case 1139155 can be used in place of the 1950 to 1960 case 1635577 ?

Thanks, James

I'm also interested in any response to your question, although I would want to go the other direction (depending of getting the later case in good shape).  My reason would be to have the option of installing the standard backup switch used on the later models on my 46.  (I had previously asked if all of the internals are the same, that is, if I had the hole drilled & tapped on my P15 transmission, are the internals the same, so that the switch mate up with what ever part of the transmission engages the switch on the later transmissions.  I suspect so, as the boss where the switch is located on the later ones is already there on the older transmissions - just no hole for it.  But I never got a response to that question, where ever I posted it here.)