Need some advise on my De Soto (Ford guy goes MOPAR Flathead)

ellum

Very cool the '39 DeSoto.

On a couple of occasions I've had a ticking sound that turned out to be dry/loose fan belt.

Your engine does seem to shake a bit at idle. While you're at it check the engine mounts; they tend to collapse with age - two at the rear and one up front. They are not too difficult to replace if you already have the floor pan out.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Being quite busy with metal work on the car. Quick question: Just rebuild my battery tray from new sheet metal. But the car came without a "cover" that would close the tray to the floor pan.

I think the 1939/1940 were the last to come with the battery under the floor. Has anyone a pic of the cover for me? So I know how it looked like from factory and I can rebuild it.

Thanks

Elvis

Hi guys,

Being quite busy with metal work on the car. Quick question: Just rebuild my battery tray from new sheet metal. But the car came without a "cover" that would close the tray to the floor pan.

I think the 1939/1940 were the last to come with the battery under the floor. Has anyone a pic of the cover for me? So I know how it looked like from factory and I can rebuild it.

Thanks

Elvis

I don't know if the desoto battery cover is the same as on my 39 Plymouth but if you go to the "the Plymouth doctor "website you should be able to browse through the catalog of replacement sheetmetal parts. There it will show a pic of the battery cover. I don't have one on my car so I can't show you that. When I make a new one I'm just going to design something that fits and not worry if it looks like the original. Good luck.

-Chris

Edited by 1952B3b23

Thank you Chris! Found the pictures.

I like most everything to look like original, that as you say, that's personal taste.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

This threat has been quiet for a while, cause I've been busy. Still lots of things to do...

2015-03-10-CIMG0163.jpg
2015-03-10-CIMG0164.jpg
2015-03-10-CIMG0168.jpg
2015-07-07-CIMG0175.jpg
2015-07-07-CIMG0182.jpg
2015-07-07-CIMG0183.jpg
2015-07-07-CIMG0184.jpg

Thanks for the many detailed pics of your body repairs. It is always great to see the different approaches guys take in fabricating these repairs! Helps us less experience guys learn and gain confidence to go forward.

Edited by 50 coupe

Just don't do it like the previous owner. Some metal over rust with affixted rivets (I've posted some pictures of that). That helps nothing and everything keeps rusting. 

So I guess with your metal fabrication skills you might be making your own gas tank??  Nice work.  The fender damage was probably the result of the leaking cowl vent.  My Plymouth showed floor damage under where the corner of the windscreen gasket leaked for years.