Need some advise on my De Soto (Ford guy goes MOPAR Flathead)

ellum

Dear all,

Let me quickly introduce myself. I'm Elvis and I live in Switzerland. I'm a big car nut and together with my girlfriend we've got some cars. My oldest is a 1966 Mustang Coupe, with straight six and four on the floor. My gal's oldest is a 1951 Chevrolet Sedan, but it's currently under restoration. 

I'm Ford man, also got a 1967 Galaxie Fastback with a great 390 and various german Fords. But I also was fascinated by the looks of the pre WWII Business Coupes. De Soto was always my favorite but very hard to get your hands on one over here in Europe. I almost bought a solid rusty 1940, but that was more a project (have en enough of) but finally after over 2 years I've got a 1939.

Currently the car is on the ship somewhere in the Atlantic and should be here in about two weeks. The pre-owner passed away in April, the same day as I have birthday, quite weird. Over this wife/daughter it got to a dealer and I bought it from him.

I'm very excited and I hope the car will be solid without major work. I also have to get myself more know-how about pre WWII mopars. But enough talked now, here we go with some pictures:

2.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Cheers

Elvis

Edited by ellum
  • Like 2

I just noticed the engine has a Spitfire head. That was a Chrysler only deal. So you either have a Chrysler engine or someone has replaced the Desoto head with a Chrysler head. Check your engine number located above the generator. If it begins with a "C" it is a Chrysler, begins with a "S" it is Desoto.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

Very nice......let us know when you lower it & chop it!!!!  :lol:

And put a 350 Chevy on it or what?  :P  :P  :P

No way, I like it the way it is. Maybe headers and dual flow exhaust, dual carbs, or a Borg Warner overdrive. But first let's see that the floor pans are not like swiss cheese! 

I can share my chocolate, should I post some pictures of it?  :D

Is that a ground wire going to a head bolt?

Hmm... now that you mention, I see it as well. Not sure, will check as soon the car is here. Quite scary is it has positive ground?

I just noticed the engine has a Spitfire head. That was a Chrysler only deal. So you either have a Chrysler engine or someone has replaced the Desoto head with a Chrysler head. Check your engine number located above the generator. If it begins with a "C" it is a Chrysler, begins with a "S" it is Desoto.

Thanks for the hint. So is the Spitfire head an aluminum one? I remember I read about it, but it was more of a marketing gag?

Hmm... now that you mention, I see it as well. Not sure, will check as soon the car is here. Quite scary is it has positive ground?

The later plymouths(post p15) had a special headbolt that accepted a smaller bolt and was used for the battery ground along with other things like a post for the throttle return spring. I suspect when someone swapped the head or entire chrysler engine in they kept that later grounding area.

Welcome to the forum. Great looking car. Congratulations.

Is that a ground wire going to a head bolt?

It does look like a ground cable. If I remember correctly, unless it has been changed, the battery on this car should be located under the seat on the driver's side. If so, couldn't a shorter ground cable be fastened to the frame nearer the battery box? Just a thought.

John R

If you ground the battery cable to the frame, you will need a cable of the same capacity between the frame and the engine, to take the amperage of the starter.  It's simpler to run the cable directly from the battery to the engine.  It's good to have another cable, of less capacity, between the engine and the body, to have a good ground for lights, instruments, etc. 

Great looking car Elvis.  I think the Spitfire head was cast iron just like the original heads.   Some fellows have the Spitfire

heads on their cars......maybe Don Coatney too.  As  you may know, the Plymouth and Dodge engines were 23 inches

long.........while the DeSoto and Chrysler engines were 25 inches long in U.S. built cars.    

Hey Chaps,

Thanks for the answers and wishes so far. I've got news today, the shipping is taking longer as expected. The car will arrive to Europe Oct 21st and will take about an other week from Bremerhaven (Germany) to Switzerland. So hoping for last week of October. Gives me some time to read about vintage MOPARs!

@Rich: Thank you, I will bother you with my questions for sure  :D

Great looking car Elvis.  I think the Spitfire head was cast iron just like the original heads.   Some fellows have the Spitfire

heads on their cars......maybe Don Coatney too.  As  you may know, the Plymouth and Dodge engines were 23 inches

long.........while the DeSoto and Chrysler engines were 25 inches long in U.S. built cars.    

Yeah I read about that. Is there any possibility that it was swapped for the 265cui Chrysler Six? Is there a way to identify the size?