52 outside door handles?

3dodgedoobie

Ok I did a search and found alot of car threads. My door handles on the outside is rusty and seen better days. They work still but need fixed or replaced. Any info who has them? I can find inside handles everywhere. Or if say ones off chevy would or might work.( I know I know but going to super chevy this weekend and might get some cheap. ) also inside door arm rests? Are they all the same for chevy ford dodge of those yrs? If not no biggie I can order those. But the handles I cant seem to find

They look good. But the problem is slop. The s.s is loose on the handle. Took one apart and spring is rusted in 2 etc etc. May try something on it. Next raining day

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I solved my problem of outside door handles and locks. They may not look excactly like factory but they serve there purpose for me. Bought a set of mack truck handles part number 25-125 on bag they in. They bolt right up to door perfect. Now the only thing I had to do is take a old one that was rusted apart but the shaft still good and square. Cut 3/4 to 1 inch off end and weld it to the end of the mack one.

Working on that. Im on smartphone so. We see how this works. In one of the pics you can see where the old handle was originally at with the point. These have matching keys that keep the handle turning from the base.

post-4598-0-01171300-1412820935_thumb.jpg

post-4598-0-28342000-1412820952_thumb.jpg

I need to get tapered screws for the handle these was just couple I had laying around that threaded into door.

With the way these funtion can you now lock the drivers door from the outside?

You could most likely could Frank, but you would have to have the drivers door equvalent of the passenger side door lock mechanism. Secondly, you would have to drill a hole  to match that of the passenger door. ggdad just bought one of the driver side door lock mechanisms (from Australia via Davin's mule "Peter"), I met up with him in Venice Beach, CA and have one remaining mechanism. It's one of the inventive things Jeff did when re-building his truck.

Hank :)  

Edited by HanksB3B

Yes you can lock both doors with these handles. The handles there self lock. From what I can tell they lock to the part that bolts up to door internally. Might be one of those things if u not a dodge guy probably never notice it.

Those don't look too bad. Maybe not as aerodynamic looking as the originals... :) ..but certainly a decent functional alternative.

And heck the next owner can always put the original type back on. A much better alternative to shaved doors in my opinion.

What is the old adage? No harm no foul. I am all for that.

Jeff

Yes you can lock both doors with these handles. The handles there self lock. From what I can tell they lock to the part that bolts up to door internally. Might be one of those things if u not a dodge guy probably never notice it.

So is what you are saying, is that locking the drivers door has nothing to do with the door latch mechanism itself and you can lock both the passenger and driver side with no internal modifications. Very cool if that is so.

Hank :wub:   

Hank;

The method Dodge used has a separate cylinder and locking mechanism right? This alternative has the lock built into the handle. Actually a simpler system but I am guessing probably not quite as robust as the original design. Either way it works and at the very least keeps all but the destructive folks out. Not a horrible thing.

Jeff

Correct. You lock from outside with no modification to door mechanism. All keys and locks do in first place is keep honest man honest. If a crook wants something bad enough they going to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

52 outside door handles...WOW..and I have problems just finding a pair...for my car the original are plated money  metal and I have found a set of stainless handles from a later model Dodge I am hoping to try to retrofit...the idea of commercial trucks did not come to mind but could be a helpful source..

• Like 1