car will not start

omiotek

So first attempt to start this thing and it's a no go. The car has power as the horn works but nothing happens. Won't bump the start we even though a little bit of smoke came from it.

Anyone have some trouble shooting recommendations? Btw if anyone is in Illinois and can come take a look that would be awesome

Thanks

Matt

Thanks. I ordered it but it won't be here in time for me to go back to work...... Anyone have some ideas or can look it up in their manual. Car has power the starter arcs If you touch a tool to them. Just won't bump ot start from the dash buttons. What's the proper starting procedure other then putting the key in and hitting the buttons

Yes engine rotates freely by hand with no hesitations or issues.

Im not sure when this was last started and the previous owner had no clue either has he bought it and decided he did not want to bother since he had about 40 cars he was attending to.

Ask the questions I will answer to the best of my ability

You have not said if the starter makes any noise when you push the starter button or if it sounded like it was trying to engage when you jumped it at the starter. If it does not I would take the starter out and try it off the engine. you said the engine turns over so I would try the starter off the engine. you can use a set of jumper cables from your battery on the car and just jump the terminal to engage the starter or take it to the local auto parts store they all seem to be checking them at no cost now.

There are very knowledgeable people on this forum but for them to help you, without actually seeing the car. we have to give as many facts as we can about our problem. That said, have you tested to see if you have power to the starter & solenoid. You stated that when you put power to starter, you got a large spark & maybe some smoke from starter. Are you using correct polarity? I would start with power checks first. 46 pickup is right. If you have all the wires right & power, then it is either the starter or solenoid. An off the car check will tell you what is or isn't working. Next would be a trip to an auto parts or preferably a starter/generator rebuilder. Don is also correct, A shop manual is a valuable tool. Good Luck, hope it's simply a wiring issue.

Edited by janan5243

Thanks everyone. Sorry for not being on to respond butnive been working on the car non stop. Anyways the starter is shot after further disagnosis as it won't engage and even with direct power which I thought of after posting this it won't function. The car has an aftermarket switch panel which I discovered as well so none of the oem switches are connected properly and the wiring harness is butchered. It's really pathetic that someone can't take time to add proper terminals that cost cents and dollars and do a proper job.

I will fire the motor on a test bench and make life easy as I need to move forward with the car.

• 1 year later...