Fun With Firewood

linus6948

As this past year has been a busy one for me with half of it lost to health issues, treatment and recovery. Then to have a serious relapse of "old car fever" which has only gotten much worse, has caused me to get seriously behind in firewood production for this fast coming Winter. So I`ve had to start in earnest to play catch-up for about a week now.

The gypsy moth caterpillar came thru a few years ago and killed a lot of the oak trees around here, I `ve been dropping them and splitting the wood small to dry in a haystack pile in the sun. This oak once dry makes great firewood, it burns long and hot almost like coal.

post-4221-0-61960700-1411303621_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-00629700-1411303313_thumb.jpg

Ok so you might have us beat in the wood hauling dept. Thankfully we are just doing it for campfires. The cabin got hit by a huge storm thats why there's a surplus of wood.

• Like 1

What do you need all the firewood for?? ..50 isn't that cold !! Oh yeah your on the other coast ..and north ..guess you don't have many people trying too cross the border there..

I drove past the Michigan International Raceway today and observed several hundred young folks paired up in teams of 2 both male and female carrying logs about the same size and in the same manor as pictured below.. I don't know what was going on but it looked like something I would not attempt today.

post-16-0-19646000-1411331124_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wood for heating- what a novel concept!

In Ca.these days there are so few allowed burn days that most people don't even bother to have wood for their fireplaces anymore.

When they used to clear out older almond and walnut trees from an orchard you could buy some trees to cut and split for your use.

Then big companies came in and would clear, cut up and sell the firewood for use, clear everything up at a more reasonable cost to the farmer. Prices went up-up-up. Then the clean air crash!

The big companies still do the work But- most cuttings go to a wood chipper to be used in a co-generator electric producer that has the clean air filters.

What Ca. does follows up later in  the other states in a few years-Enjoy while you can!

Myself I love a fire in the fireplace! Always had one going in the winters even here, In the Old days!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

I guess I better get the wood stove fired up, and use this before the laws change here. Hopefully after I am dead, but NY has started to pride itself on foolish laws, so the end could be nearer than I think :lol:

Some areas have local ordinances covering the use of outside wood fired boilers.

post-80-0-22682500-1411439493_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-42415500-1411439512_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The weather has been good so I`ve been splitting while the splitting is good, the Bride just told me to take a break from the wood and cut the grass.

post-4221-0-51396300-1411926212_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-89752300-1411926216_thumb.jpg

rule 23...when the BRIDE has sense enough to realize a need about the place that requires attention then she should also act upon it herself..

Hmmmm.  I think she did when she told him to mow it.   Definitions of "act upon it " may vary by participant. 

• Like 3