Horn Blows When Turning Steering Wheel

YukonJack

Or the steering wheel is flexing. Happens when the plastic is cracked.

I'm going with this one as well.

Something in the horn button/ring area.

The wire through the column is going to move when driving.

May be as simple as turning the spring a bit so that it does not make contact as easily.

• 1 year later...

Most of the wire that was used for the horn wire was rubber coated so to prevent the cloth from wearing away.  The shrink wrap is a good idea. As stated before tape the new wire to the old wire when pulling a new wire through the steering column  there isa small metal tube that the wire needs to pass through in the steering box and this is the oly way to get the wire through the tube without any major issues.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

1 hour ago, atlbluz said:

I took a piece of shrink tubing long enough to go from the steering wheel contact to out of the end of the column, to prevent the old fabric wire from grounding out.  Worked great! Greg  

Not saying that isn't the problem for HotRodHerman, but by 1950 the wire going down through the column was, at least in my findings,(at least a dozen) is a fairly flexible, rather durable, thicker rubber (about 1/8") insulated wire. Possibly if the wiring in the area where it exits into the engine bay had been altered it could cause unexpected wear there. Just wiggling the wire in the area, or some push pull up into the hole could reveal if the problem is in that area.

horn wire column.JPG

DSCF9234.JPG