Sisson Choke Question

meadowbrook

I am wondering if someone in the forum is aware of the reason why there is an electrical connection between the starter and the Sisson choke unit.

I understand that when the starter is energized, battery power also energizes the Sisson and that momentarily opens the choke plate. (I think it should open...or am I backwards here?)

Why is that? My Sisson has a short because it melted the wire from the starter to the choke so I disconnected that feature. My choke seems to work well without it.

There isa wire that comes from the starter to the sisson choke. WHen the starter is energised it send the electric current to the choke to close the butterfly. This will alwyas happen even if the car is hot or cold.  The bi-metal spring on the bottom of the choke housing is what control the mechanism to slowly  let off on the chocking of the carb.

As the bimetal get colder it then comes down and lets the butterfly open up or retact.

In the Technical section there is a compy of a presentation that I did on Sisson chokes.  Also send me you home email and I will send you the power point presentatin.

Also you need to have the gasket under the choke body and between the manifold, this is very important to help with the function of the choke.

Rich Hartung