how do i get this off

deepweasel

just posting this in the place it might be referenced in the future

far be it for me to be out "red necked"  by Mark. :)

for those interested, i made a 3-5/8" spindle nut wrench out of a 14" scrap piece 1-1/2"w x 3/16" thick flat bar. cut eight 1-1/2" sections, cut a hole in the center and welded 1/2" square tubing for the 1/2" drive. post-6005-0-84130900-1430768129_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-18011100-1430768209_thumb.jpg

Note= 1/8" would have been plenty and would have fit a little better (less grinding of the outer corners)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, Prusakowski said:

Working on my 1953 1,5 ton truck - - I have the 1953 B-4 Shop Manual but it doesn't indicate the size of the bearing socket for the front wheel.  Anyone have this information?

Every tool box should have a calipers.

D1.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Prusakowski said:

A solid answer I can use - - many thanks.

I sent you a PM with a few other questions.

i've got the numbers somewhere.

as far as the axle, the object with 8 sides is essentially a pressed sheetmetal hubcap, threaded on the outside to screw into the drum.  it isn't a bearing retainer; just a cover.

I lucked out, I was able to use adjustable pliers/ wrench on the front grease caps. it was the back I had to make my own wrench 

• 4 months later...

Guys....I'm still messing with my 1.5 ton 1953 truck as time permits.  I have the dual six-lug budd  20 inch wheels on the back of my truck.  I finally got the rear wheels off and found out one of the wheels was a split-rim - - the other three rear six-lug wheels are lock-ring wheels, which of course are not a problem.

My question is - - are the 20 inch budd wheels "generic" and used on other manufacturers trucks?  I need to find a wheel to replace the split-rim because no one will touch this particular rim.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:42 PM, Prusakowski said:

Guys....I'm still messing with my 1.5 ton 1953 truck as time permits.  I have the dual six-lug budd  20 inch wheels on the back of my truck.  I finally got the rear wheels off and found out one of the wheels was a split-rim - - the other three rear six-lug wheels are lock-ring wheels, which of course are not a problem.

My question is - - are the 20 inch budd wheels "generic" and used on other manufacturers trucks?  I need to find a wheel to replace the split-rim because no one will touch this particular rim.

surprised the rears are six-lug.  mine are five-lug.  also, should match your fronts, which are five.

Six lugs....J or K model  2-1/2 tonner

Well - - that just proves over the years this 1.5 ton truck had a swap-out of the rear end or just the axle / hubs - - more than likely with what was available at the local salvage yard.   My front wheels are five-lug.  This information helps a lot when I get to taking the axle out to get to the rear brakes.  

Many thanks!

• Like 1