Oil Filter ?

gearhead49

Have been working a bit on my latest find 49 Plymouth.

I want to give it a oil change and the filter is the Wix throw away type. The replacements are priced way out of my budget. My question is, has anyone ever converted to a remote spin on type or should I search for a replaceable filter type canister

Thanks

G

I like the old style canister style with the drop in filter.  If you arleady have the lines for the old style metal throwawy oil filter then you will probably have to make new lines but just connect the new lines to the same spots on the engine block and then onto the the appropriate holes on the metal housing.  The initial cost of the metal container is the most thenthe filters cost around 10 dollars.  I have an old AC unit that was marked as to fit my 39 Desoto.  There was no real specific unit since these were dealer installed, so the mopar delaer might use a MoPar unit or another brand that he got from a wholesale supplier.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I did search through the forums and didn't find a lot of pro's or con's or really anything on a remote filter.

Was hoping I might find some installation pics somewhere..

My 59 Studebaker Lark w/259 v8 has a neat dealer installed spin on set up that uses a NAPA 1040 filter.

Don

I live in southern Elkhart county. Always glad to see a fellow Hoosier.

I found a canister style for my Desoto on e-bay. $25.00 + shipping. Had brackets on it. Fit the bolt holes from original bracket. Was able to reshape existing lines to use. Just have to plumb properly. Some cans are marked. Mine wasn't. Inlet went to bottom, outlet from side, near top. Old filter was opposite. Think it takes a napa 1080. $8-9.00. Lot less work & cheaper than a remote adapter w/hoses & spin on filter, IMHO. Have to make sure gasket for top is seated properly. If you think a lot of oil doesn't go thru filter, you'll find out if gasket isn't right. Ask me how I know. Some canisters will fit in original bracket.

Edited by janan5243
  • Like 1

$45.00 for a oil filter. Ouch

If that is for the MoPar or Fram throwaway metal can that is not tooo bad. i have seen them higher than that. The cost for the one that has the metal housing and the drop in might also run about the same price but in the long run they payfor themselve since the cost of the drop in cartidge is about 8 dollars.

Rich HArtung

I found this on another forum.

In getting ready to do some oil changes, I noticed that the drop-in filters in my '47 Plymouth P-15C and the drop-in filter in my '40 9N Tractor were remarkably alike. I had a Hastings LF130 in the Plymouth and a CarQuest CARQ85010 in the 9N. Took them out and compared them side by side. Other than minor construction differences, dimensions were exactly the same. Both numbers crossmatched on the NAPA OnLine Website to their NAPA Gold FIL1010. So, I spent the last half hour crossmatching any numbers I had for the Plymouth and the 9n. Here is a list of parts numbers that should work for both vehicles that use drop-in cannister oil filters.

AC - P203
Big A - 92010
Bosch - OX79 CarQuest - 85010
Fleetguard - LF-568
Fleetrite - LFR8574
Ford - 9N18649, 9N6714, Fram C3, C3P
Hastings - LF130, LF102
Lee - 70FR
Motorcraft FL144
NAPA – 1080, "Gold" FIL1010, FIL1071
Purolator - L20700, L20110, PM352, P70AC, T110, L20701
Western Auto - 5815?
Wix – 51010

There were also a few cartridges from my lists that crossed over to a NAPA Gold FIL1071; I'm not sure if that is the same cartridge, or different.

John T

If your budget does not allow for a filter, you are in trouble from the get go....

Then why did the factory send tens of thousands of flathead 6 powered cars to dealers with no oil filters installed? Were folks who bought those cars in trouble from go?

No oil filter from the factory?  I've read the answer somewhere, but forgot.  

I know that oil changes were very frequent, say every 1,000 miles, along with a general lube job.  I think Valvoline had a sales gimmick, an image of a hand giving the "Victory" symbol, but meaning that the oil was good for, wait, hear this, Two Thousand Miles!  The 2,000 mile oil.  

You could by a dealer-option oil filter for further protection.  It also kept down the base price of the car, but allowed the dealer to profit from additions to the final price.  

I believe there were some recommendations in the day to replace the filter if so equipped at every third (or longer) oil change. Remember many customers in the day lived through the depression years and would milk a penny until it was dry.

Source: Labour Gazette
Date: 1949 [ 1940s ]
Pages: 708-710

Average weekly earnings of male wage-earners in manufacturing were $41.85 in the last week of November, 1947, compared with $28.11 for female wage-earners. Among the factors causing this difference were the larger number of male workers in the more highly-skilled occupations and highly-paid industries, and the shorter average hours worked by women. Average weekly salaries in manufacturing were $60.21 for men and $28.68 for women.

$45.00 for a oil filter. Ouch

A sealed canister bypass filter does not need to be replaced at every oil change, only when it gets filled/clogged. Easiest way is to touch it after the engine has been run hard. If the filter is hot to touch then oil is still going through it. If it is only engine compartment warm then it is time to replace. So $45 for an oil filter is not $45 at every oil change.

Full flow filters are different as you never want them to get clogged so you replace them every oil change.

Then why did the factory send tens of thousands of flathead 6 powered cars to dealers with no oil filters installed? Were folks who bought those cars in trouble from go?

When the L-6 engine first came out, oil filters were standard and all cars got them. They changed that later starting with the lower priced model (standard, business, Roadking, etc.) not having a filter. Obviously as a manufacturing cost savings.

For what it is worth the MoPar replaceable element filter canister I have on my shelf is designed to go in the same bracket that held the throwaway canister. So, in some cases, you don't need to do much more than re-route the input oil line if you swap out to a replaceable element filter.

on one of my Mopar Decals for the Oil Can style oil filters it said change ever 8 thousand miles.  ALso remember that were were using oil that had alot of wax pertrolium products back in the days. The oils of today are better refined and have better protection properites.

Also the chnaging of the filter depends on how many miles that you have put onthe old car.  The changing of the oil is more important to get the oil sludge out of the oil pan so you do not build up the sludge in the bottom of the pan. In our cases I feelthat you can get two oil chnages and 1 filter change but for an additioanl 8 dollars or so why not chnage the filter.

rich hartung

Greg...my point was, if you can not afford the oil filter what about the other expenses you are going to come accross. It was not that you are in trouble because you have no filter. My 58 chev had no filter and ran just fine.

Just my opinion, if I was planning to install a new oil filter system, I wouldn't monkey around with the drop-in canister system only to have the drop-in filters possibly become obsolete within 20 years.  If it were me, I would go with a spin-on oil filter adapter and then never have to worry about having to swap it all out again. 

Just my opinion, if I was planning to install a new oil filter system, I wouldn't monkey around with the drop-in canister system only to have the drop-in filters possibly become obsolete within 20 years.  If it were me, I would go with a spin-on oil filter adapter and then never have to worry about having to swap it all out again. 

I use the Fram C3 drop-in filter I buy at the farm stores.

If the drop-in filters get obsolete or too expensive, I have a back up plan,

A Frantz toilet paper oil filter system.     If toilet paper becomes obsolete,

I can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,o forget it..................

post-1465-0-82098500-1411130293_thumb.jpg