engine number identification

AL48s
Go to solution Solved by B-Watson,

Hi hoping someone out there can help me identify flathead engine in my 1948 dodge sedan  [australia]. size, year, any other info would be appreciated. eng number is D432164200   the head is 25" long . 

AL48s,

There is a Dodge Power Wagon site that has some basic engine number listings (http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/dengines.html ). This list only identifies the number that you have by the first 3 characters, D43, which it shows to be from a 1953 Dodge car. It is not unusual to find an engine from a different year in one of these vehicles. I bought an engine from a 46 Dodge truck recently that turned out to be from a 54 Plymouth!

I was looking at this site today as I acquired a 'spare' engine with the 35 Plymouth that I just bought and the number is odd. It has a stamped number of C3224 which doesn't show there. Can't use the engine in my car so I was trying to get information to eventually post it for sale.

Yes, it is a 25 inch from a Chrysler. It seems odd though, there are only 4 characters (C3224), I think that there are usually more (?). The website I noted above only lists C34 and C38 numbers. Maybe the list is incomplete or this may have been a replacement block. I am not that familiar with the number codes.

Is anyone aware of another listing for these codes? Is there any explanation of what the rest of the numbers mean? The number of the engine that I got for my Plymouth is P25*272958*. I know that the P25 means it is from a 1954 Plymouth but I have no idea what the remaining digits mean. I'm pretty new to this obsession.

If AL48s has a Dodge that was made in Australia the numbers may be completely different.

AL48s,

There is a Dodge Power Wagon site that has some basic engine number listings (http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/dengines.html ). This list only identifies the number that you have by the first 3 characters, D43, which it shows to be from a 1953 Dodge car. It is not unusual to find an engine from a different year in one of these vehicles. I bought an engine from a 46 Dodge truck recently that turned out to be from a 54 Plymouth!

I was looking at this site today as I acquired a 'spare' engine with the 35 Plymouth that I just bought and the number is odd. It has a stamped number of C3224 which doesn't show there. Can't use the engine in my car so I was trying to get information to eventually post it for sale.

Are similar lists available somewhere for Plymouth, Chrysler and Desotas???

If you can get a hold of a Motors Manual, that will list the cars and the engine numbers for them. They are listed by type. Chrystler, Desoto, Dodge, Pontiac, Plymouth and so on. I gave the one I was borrowing back to my friend or I could tell you what car that number went to.

Joe

Bobandy,

Yes, the same website lists for Plymouth, Chrysler and Desotos. Follow the link and go to the bottom; there is a link to 'Return to Flathead Six Engine Number Page'. You can select which model. Not sure how complete the lists are.

ROB-PA

On the Allpar.com website a P-25-2xxxxx would be a 1954 engine from a Ply. Savoy would appear to be the first Ply. 230 engine.

A P-25-1 would still be a 218. The stars I believe have some meaning but not sure.

Allpar.com made no mention of the *.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

• Solution

D432164200

Could the last digit be a C?

In which case it should read D43-2 16420 C 

Which makes it from a Canadian-built 1953 Dodge Regent (D43-2).  Canadian-built flathead sixes were 25" block units starting in 1938 and had a a letter "C" in the number. 

The early 1953 Dodges used a 218.1-cid engine (3.375" bore and 4.062" stroke) but in April they switched to a 4.25" bore for 228.1" cid.  The switch occurred at D43-1-3390C and D43-2-8270C.  Dodge also introduced an upscale (more chrome, wheel covers, back up lights and two-tone interiors) D-43-3 Mayfair in sedan and hardtop models that used the D-43-2 engines.   Hy-Drive was introduced (optional) which was probably the reason for upping the engine size.   Dodge dropped the D43-2 Mayfair hardtop at this time as well.

Plymouth did the same, introducing a P24-3 Belvedere in sedan and hardtop with the same engine and appointments as the Dodge.   The engine change came at numbers P24-1 4053C and P24-2 8322C. 

The stars in US engine numbers were used to block off the engine number, preventing anyone from adding more numbers.  As many states used the engine number as the car's serial number, adding digits would be altering the car's serial number.

For engine number P25*272958*, it is the 271,958th P25 engine built.   Engine numbers started at 1001.   PLymouth in the U.S. did not denote the series the engine was installed nor the assembly plant that put the car together.  D43-2 16420 C is the 15,420th D43-2 engine built. 

DJ194950, on 18 Sept 2014 - 4:34 PM, said:

ROB-PA

On the Allpar.com website a P-25-2xxxxx would be a 1954 engine from a Ply. Savoy would appear to be the first Ply. 230 engine.

A P-25-1 would still be a 218. The stars I believe have some meaning but not sure.

Allpar.com made no mention of the *.

DJ

there is no distinction for the P25-1, P25-2 and P25-3 (Plaza,Savoy, Belvedere) engines however there is a distinction for the 230 in the mid year upgraded 230 engine..in 54 and 54 only there will be a diamond in the serial number stamp on the engine to denote the 230..if no diamond then it is a 218..in 55 all were 230 so again..no distinction other than the model number that starts all engine numbers..the * seperates model code from engine sequence first number and also falls onto the end of the sequence number...

Only reporting what I read. The site listed is there for anyone to reference. Their choice to see and decide.

But the site does show a dash not a star on the P-25- #?. The star the same?. I guess not!

No expert at all, my disclaimer! Just trying to share of what I found online.

Should I apologize for any misinformation??  :rolleyes:

DJ

Being new to this also I have been doing a lot of digging on the net. I found the attached list somewhere in my waFlathead 6.pdfnderings. It shows that the 218 cu-in were used early and then later in the year they switched to the 230 cu-in. It would be nice to know what engine number started the 230 but I have not found that yet. Anyone know? Does anyone know the total number produced?

It is good to know what the stars are for; thanks for that input.

you really do not need the engine number..if a 54 230..again the diamond will be in the id number...but if you really think it is important...Feb 24, 1954 after engine # *P25*243001*  the diamond will be stamped prior to the engine number and again only in last part of 54 did this occur...as in 55 all engines from then forward for Plymouth 6 was 230 and no need for special identifier as the model number was sufficient

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Ok, the star/stars Do have meaning!

Always trying to learn.

Have 1 motor myself and a friend has 2 that we have never Id'ed.

:mellow:

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

you should have a diamond preceding the P25....last engine for P25 was *454271*  suggest you look close at the "7" in your number...is this a true seven or a small letter 'el' that represents the numeral 1  the diamond may not be dead against the P in the identification...look a bit left...

Well Plymouthy, you are absolutely right! I went out this evening with the Scotch Brite and some WD 40 and, voila, about 1/2 inch in front of the P25 is a diamond. It wasn't stamped very well but there is no mistaking it once the area was cleaned, By the way the 7 is definitely a 7.

these machinist idents will usually be on the oil pan rails and other components and to be confused with the ident boss on the block..the diamond on the 54 is the only ident boss change I am aware of to denote the larger engine

that were factory stamped..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams