1948 Desoto Fluid Drive Kickdown Switch

ChrisP

I think i've isolated a problem on the '48 S-11 custom to the kick down switch on the carb body. 

has anyone taken one of these out of the carb and attempted to service it? 

many thanks for any experiences anyone can share

I cobbled together a contact for my kickdown switch.  There's a gizmo that rises with engine vacuum to keep the contact from being made under certain driving conditions, like over 42 mph.   I forget how I made the contact, but it functions like the one shown.  

Here's an illustration from the service manual.

post-126-0-35828100-1410806816_thumb.jpg

Here's the text:

post-126-0-28009000-1410807329_thumb.jpg

Have had many FD KD switches apart.

You will have to take the carb apart to service/check it. Have you checked it for continuity with the KD plunger fully depressed?

Go look here for pics of it's assembly...http://p15-d24.com/gallery/category/11-mechanical/

Bob

• Like 1

ok these replies are helpful..bob do you think i can get the pieces out of the switch to clean them up WITHOUT removing the carb? i can see the screw that hold the switch in but I'm a little concerned about the vacuum piston and spring falling out if i pull the plunger out of the switch...i've heard it said that it's offen just a matter of cleaning up the contact inside 

Yes you can clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner. Pull both sides of the switch off the carb- be careful when reassembly not to jam the parts.

I take the carb apart to be sure the vacuum plunger is free and the spring OK ect.

I would do an electrical continuity test first on the KD switch before taking it apart though.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya