Generator Question

Last night my I heard a grinding while at idle. Fortunately I was almost home. When I got there, I left the engine running and opened the hood to find little flakes of metal flying out of the generator.

From what I can tell, something is grinding away on the generator. I was losing light and the lawn needed to be cut so no real investigation was possible.

I'm guessing it is a bearing failure issue and something is getting torn up. Anyone have this happen before?

Stock B-2-C 116, 218 if it matters.

Thanks in advance

I did a 6V alternator from Fifth Avenue and I'm pleased as punch. Of course, I don't run a radio, air, or any other power stuff. I did put in an inverter so I can charge my cell phone. An alternator is the only way to go, whether its 6 or 12. They charge at idle and on both cycles. The down side to 6v is that it's expensive. But, you don't have to mess with any bulbs or resistors or anything else. If you plan to run air and a killer stereo, I'd go 12 volt

Yup ! Just had to change one yesterday. The bushings were squealing no matter how much oil I put in the little oil caps. No flying metal though. Time for a rebuild.

Reg, would you have photo or discription of what the oil caps look like? I know they need light engine oil but the diagram in the owners manual is too small to identify them, and I don't know what an "oil cap" looks like. I looked for some sort of plug, quickly, and was going to have a proper search next week end, but the topic has come up sooner.

Thanks

Sure Ian,

The first photo is of the rear oil cap. You just lift up the little spring loaded lid and drop in a few drops of oil. The second photo is the one at the front of the generator.

MVC-006F-1.jpgMVC-005F-3.jpg

The bracket is the one thing that could be better with this setup. However, it's one of the things, as Dodge owners, we have to put up with. There just isn't the demand for someone to fabricate a MOPAR/flathead-specific bracket. Here's what the 'generic' bracket looks like installed.

altbracket.jpg

As you can see, it mounts to the original bracket. I was a little leary of it at first because I thought it would loosen up and I'd be constantly tightening the bolts. So far (since Oct.) that hasn't happened. I will eventually fabricate another bracket that looks a little more original. Hope this helps. Like I said, I'm real happy with this setup.

Vintage Power Wagons makes and sells an alternator bracket for (I believe) $35.

They also sell a complete kit to convert your vehicle. All the bulbs, headlights, bracket, alternator, 12V coil, etc for $289. I think you pay about $100 for their instructions.

Vintage Power Wagons makes and sells an alternator bracket for (I believe) $35.

They also sell a complete kit to convert your vehicle. All the bulbs, headlights, bracket, alternator, 12V coil, etc for $289. I think you pay about $100 for their instructions.

I found the one you are talking about but then there is one pictured in the 6v to 12v converstion kit right below it and they look different. I have an email out to them already.

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/catalog/pdf/group6-electrical.pdf PAGE 7

Can you tell me if the bracket (part #06:2229623) fits the 218? I worry that the part is for one of the bigger engines as the description referes to "REP 251." If not they must be able to break up the kit for a sale.

Just called em. The bracket is not sold separately and won't break up the kit.

Thanks.

I hope this is then last thing I have to ask (on this one anyway).

Does anyone have the measurement from ear to ear on the generator bracket?

I'd prefer the inside measurement and the outside measurement. I forgot to grab that this morning on the way out and there is a guy at work that can make me a platform to which I can weld up an alternator bracket from a local speed shop.

On another note, I received the Fifth Ave 6 volt alternator yesterday in NY from Kansas. I ordered it at the end of business on Monday. Only a 3 day wait and a nice guy to talk to on the phone. I'll let you all know how it works.

Thanks in advance

Jim Shepard wrote: >>The bracket is the one thing that could be better with this setup. However, it's one of the things, as Dodge owners, we have to put up with. There just isn't the demand for someone to fabricate a MOPAR/flathead-specific bracket. Here's what the 'generic' bracket looks like installed.<<

There is a way around that. I know there is somebody manufacturing alternators in original generator housings for the Ford restorer guys. Since they are also positive ground 6 volt generators,doing the same for a Dodge should be a snap for them. This way your engine bay looks original,you don't have to fabricate anything,and you still get a alternator.

No,I don't know the name of the company that does this or the price they charge. I prefer generators,so I just read about it and moved on.

Those alternators in the generator shell were discussed here a while back, or it may have been over on the car side. I don't remember the name of the name either, but I remember it being quite pricey.

As for the original booster question... There has been talk about those here before too. I just don't have any details on them.

Merle

I'm trying to remember what I did to the original bracket to install the GM internally regulated alternator on my '52 1 ton. 7/8" or 1" is kinda what I remember adding to the center of the bracket to move the front ear forward enough for get good pulley alignment. Looking back on this, I like the idea of the allthread a lot better-and it is adjustable for future upgrades! Mike