100 years of Dodge

james curl

I just got my latest issue of Hemmings Classic Car and it is almost entirely devoted the Dodge brand of automobile.  It gives a short history of the brothers Dodge when they were supplying Ford with engines,  transmissions and rear axles.  Before the Ford contract they were supplying Ransom Olds with engines and transmissions.

• Like 1

how many of us, not counting our current collector car, owned dodges in our lifetime? my first car was a 1950 dodge meadowbrook. it was bought new by my grandfather, handed down to my mother, then my brother, then me in 1966.grandpa had earl scheib paint it for $19.95 a sickly green.when I had it the paint was coming off in chunks.used a lot of oil, but I bought the recycled in the glass jars with the metal spouts for $.10 a quart.when the tranny went I junked it for $5.00.it was fluid drive, very slow, but always dependable.that was my only dodge, but I have had Plymouths and Chryslers. never a Desoto, but I fell out of a 1939 Desoto going about 30 mph when I was 7. capt den

• Like 1

I've owned several.  Started with a '79 powerwagon I drove part time to high school.  360 4x4 auto, good thing gas was cheap in the early nineties. Also drove a '88 Dynasty for a while.  That car always drove nice.

Then I bought a '93 Dakota, traded that for a new '01 Dakota, then bought a new '04 Quad cab.  Paid off the quad cab and still only has about 100k. 

Got a '47 Town sedan now as well.  Owned several Chryslers for the better half to drive. 

Interesting Captden, I too started out in a 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook. I bought mine from a neighbor for $20 when I was 15 years old. It had been repainted with a brush and it was also fluid drive. The memory of how solid  and reliable that car was is what prompted me to jump at the chance of owning the 35 Plymouth when I found out that a friend had it in storage.

First car I bought was a 72 Challenger Ralleye 340, then 10 years old, for a nod-nod, wink-wink $100 (actually did some work for my aunt and she put $100 on the title, for tax purposes, but really gave it to me).

Here's the rest I've had, unless I forget one:

79 Stepside - Warlock 

85 Shelby Charger

85 Minivan

90 Minivan

93 Dakota

80-something Colt turbo, but that was really a Bitsu

99 Ram 2WD

63 Dart - 360

Current:

2003 4WD RAM - Hemi

2010 Charger R/T - wife's car

My Plymouth has a 98 318 Magnum....if that counts

I bought a 49/50 pair of DeSotos for $25 when I was 14, I spent the summer removing the 50 engine and putting it in the 49. I drove and abused that car until I was out of high school in 1972. I have since had many and varied mopars of similar vintage but last year I accidentally bought a weathered 49 Dodge Coronet that turned out to only have 11,800 original miles from an estate. What a wonderful driving car it is, so reminiscent of that original DeSoto.  

Rob

Grandpa gave me his 1947 Dodge when I was 16.  

Then I bought a 1950 Desoto for $50

Next a 1957 Desoto with an original 3 speed standard (was a priest's car black bottom, white top)

Updated to a 1960 Plymouth ($151.50 at the power company auction)

Lost my mind - got married - she had a 1963 F__d.

She left - got my mind back- bought a 1970 Duster 340 (first new car)

But I was still young and dumb - swapped the Duster on a 1973 Dodge van (shag rug, bed in the back, R&P seats, side pipes etc).

Then a series of non mopar until a 1991 Imperial, followed by a 93 Chrysler LHS, Then a Jeep Cherokee, a 97 Dodge P/U, a F350 Power Joke F__d, then a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW with Cummins, and finally my 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel.  Oh, yea, almost forgot my 1955 Dodge C-3-B8 (purchased in 2007).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a kid I recall the various camps of brand loyalty zealots, sentiments probably being handed down from their dads.  Both my grandpas were Chevy guys, but my dad is an IH Scout fan.  Only reason he quit buying them is because they quit making them, and he couldn't find the parts to keep his between the ditches anymore.  My uncle had a Dodge pickup that refused to die, and the Border Patrol used Dodge Ramchargers as its "go-to" SUV for decades, the only thing they couldn't do was outrun anything.  Our first Dodge was/is the good ole D24, and it has the most tenure in our stable, to boot.  We went through every U.S. brand and a couple foreign in our first few years as a family, and we ended up gravitating to Dodge for our most affordable and reliable transportation.      

• Like 1

66 Dart Grandma gave to me

65 Dart GT 273 4 barrel 

72 Dart Sport

69 Barracuda 440 originally a 318

72 340 'CUDA

87 Ramcharger

2000 Ram 1500

1999 R/T Dakota same family since new

2004 Ram 2500 4x4

1947 D24 Dad bought new never left our family.Present project

Still have 69 barracuda,47 D24,Ram 2500,R/T Dakota

Edited by Mike Petersen

I'm going to list all the Mopars I have owned over the years:

1971 Chrysler Newport

[Dad & I bought together]

1973 Barracuda

[wish I still had this one]

1989 Shadow

1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #381

[Wish I still had this one!]

[Funny story: I took my then new wife to replace her 1987 Chevy Nova [what a terrible little car!!!].  I had talked her into looking at the new Dodge Shadow.  After driving it she found that she really liked it and picked a dark blue four-door.  While walking around looking at the colors I spotted the Shelby...we ended up driving two new cars home!]

1989 Intrepid SE

[Fun car to drive]

2000 Dodge Dakota Quad-cab Sport

[very reliable truck!]

1965 Plymouth Barracuda

[still have this one]

1966 Plymouth Barracuda

1973 Dodge D100 Short Bed

[My daughter called it "The Rusty Banana"]

1969 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham

1976 Dodge True Spirit

[still have it, it's for sale]

1969 Dodge A108 Sportsman

[Restoring]

1941 Plymouth P12 Special Deluxe

[What brought me to this group]

About five years ago my wife [who has to be the most patient woman on this planet!] asked me to list all the vehicles [cars, trucks and motorcycles] I have owned.

When I was done the list contained 56 vehicles.  Not bad when you consider I turn 50 next year...

66 Dart Grandma gave to me

65 Dart GT 273 4 barrel 

72 Dart Sport

69 Barracuda 440 originally a 318

72 340 'CUDA

87 Ramcharger

2000 Ram 1500

1999 R/T Dakota same family since new

2004 Ram 2500 4x4

1947 D24 Dad bought new never left our family.Present project

Still have 69 barracuda,47 D24,Ram 2500,R/T Dakota

thought we were talking dodge ?? ok  ill have to make a list  of  all mopar cars

fstfish66, on 26 Sept 2014 - 3:19 PM, said:

thought we were talking dodge ?? ok  ill have to make a list  of  all mopar cars

it was a joke man..I got my share  of cars...in the long run..who cares....sometimes even I don't...list and 2.00 will get you a coffee but don't ask for a donut..

it was a joke man..I got my share  of cars...in the long run..who cares....sometimes even I don't...list and 2.00 will get you a coffee but don't ask for a donut..

I don't care, and I don't want coffee except in the morning. But I would like a glazed up apple fritter and a glass of real milk for my two bucks.