Post secondary scholarships for mechanics?

Mark D

This past summer my son visited and enrolled in the Motorcycle and small engine repair course at MTTI in Seekonk Massachusetts.  He graduated from High School two years ago and has been doing odd jobs to get by, and to support his dirt biking hobby.  MTTI is an hour south of our home, and very near Providence Rhode Island.  The course is 9 months long, 30+ hours a week, and the kids come out at the end with potential for job placement and a $2,500 set of tools. Matt had a tough time in school and was diagnosed early with learning deficits, but has never shyed away from a wrench. He's a lot like his old man in that way.   To our amazement this school asked about his early education and learning styles and they will tailor his training to meet those needs. My wife and I are excited that he's finally found a focus and is moving forward, and that the school is prepared to give him the extra bandwidth he needs to suceed. 

Does anyone on the board know of scholarships that are awarded to post secondary students who are going into mechanics?  I'd love to get him a little more help for his daily expenses and textbooks.

Thanks all - Mark D

• Like 2

Article on trade school schlorships.

UTI says that there are external funds for their school.

MTTI'S website has a student resource page to locate funds.

Hope this helps.

48D

• Like 1

Thanks 48D - we've tried the MTTI resources with their admissions folks, doesnt seem to be much there. Will look at the other links with the wife tonight to see what we can find.

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad that there aren't more schools that have some funding ....

I was a tractor -heavy equipment mechanic for over 45 years.. it's hard to get

Kids who want to learn to grunt and groan over heavy equipment ,,making relatively

A lower wage than most ...

Everyone wants to program video games .. But,,,,,, I NEVER liked laying on top

Of hot metal when the temperature hits 110-115 during summer...

Yes,,,it gets unbelievably hot here during summer ........

Edited by bobjob55
  • Like 1