B-1-F-170 Farm truck in the making.

I've had a few B series trucks over the last 17 years or so and have enjoyed driving them (or parting them out as some of them were barely good enough for parts trucks). I like them - they are different - and I love the motor (I'm gathering parts to install a 265 Chrysler into a Model A Ford roadster pickup...).

So knowing all this I had the opportunity to swap some late model diesel truck parts for a B-1-F-170 that looks to be a very solid Colorado truck that I will be picking up later this month. I intend for this to be the "new" farm truck - basically hauling a couple loads of hay a year, running to feed mill every couple of weeks for a ton or so of feed, etc... plus maybe load up an antique tractor or so and go to some local shows with a period correct transportation piece.

I'm relatively certain that I can get it running before I ever load it on the trailer although it hasn't been running in a couple of years. I plan on keeping the Flathead power plant (or one just like it - I have several 25" engines in the shop for parts if needed for the project). Even though it is a 1 1/2T truck - I plan on fitting a newer OD transmission (likely a T5) as well as update the rear end to something with disc brakes, plenty of load carrying capacity, and parking brake provisions since I will be swapping transmissions.

My question is - is there anyone that has ever done a disc brake update on the front axle of one of these heavier trucks? I have some thoughts and ideas, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Jason

Jason, I can't speak to the disc brake conversion of the bigger trucks, but the power brake setup on my B2-JA and 46 two ton seems to be a lot more effective than the non vacuum assisted brakes on my 1 ton.   There is a very noticeable difference in stopping power with the bigger trucks.  Granted, it was designed for loads much heavier than I'm hauling, but I'm impressed with the setup.  Good luck with your new project.  Mike

Mike is the power brake truck equipped with an remote vacuum operated booster?

A quick search online shows both Bendix and Midland made these for years in diff. diameters, sizes, single diaphram and dual that work with a stock type on master cyl. plumbed to the remote booster then brake line run from that the brake cyls. and work off motor vacuum.

One for a 57-61 Dodge d500 rebuilt unit for 170, free shipping, But did not dig deep enough to check a core charge cost.

Thanks just wondering, too much time on my hands! :rolleyes:

DJ

Like mike said if the truck has a factory Midland frame mount power brake booster thats more than adeqate to stop that truck.

I have always been impressed with the bigger tonnage trucks that use this booster. It's easy to lock all six tires if you wanted too.

Find a heavy duty 1948-53 F series dodge and swap in the factory booster off it-rebuilt of course.

You will have more that enough smooth safe braking power.

I've had trucks with the booster for years. It's great.

Bob

I can't find where Mike posted that the truck had a Midland booster frame mounted or am I going more blind?

DJ

I can't find where Mike posted that the truck had a Midland booster frame mounted or am I going more blind?

DJ

He said "if"......"if it has a Midland frame mount...."  ^_^  

Come on doug, pull it together man. :lol:  

48D

• Like 1

Both of my bigger trucks have the behind the cab frame mounted booster with secondary master cylinders on the booster housing .  Not sure which brand they are-I don't see any markings.

I didn't even realize that there was a possibility of it having powered brakes. That is good information that might change my direction slightly in that department. I guess I need to wait until I pick it to see what I really have.

Suppose that it doesn't have powered brakes - I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to add. Do you have any pictures of this system?

Using parts of two posts from diff. people. Mike did'nt say if, Dodge before ya did, and yes I did Miss the IF!

My bad for that part and I guess I need some new reading glasses! LOL!

DJ

• Like 1

i'll echo what mike and bob stated. my F (an FA, actually) has the remote booster w/remote cylinder. i can easily lock all six tires up when i get on it.

i've put over 4 tons of wood on it, and i could still lock up the wheels. if yours has the vacuum booster brake system, you won't need disc brakes.

i do tend to load mine up - often enough and heavy enough - to know that the brakes work pretty well.

wally

Does anyone have any pictures of this remote booster cylinder and where it would be located? i'm trying to find out if it has it installed and since its not in my possession it is easier to find out if I tell them exactly where to look and what it looks like. i assume its just like any other vacuum boosted brake setup - except remotely mounted.

I looked up the B-1- F brake system.

The booster is an option on the F series trucks. I will post a picture of it.

There are vacuum/fluid lines and more misc to install one. One off a parts truck complete would be the way to go.

post-302-0-27992100-1410642728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 4 weeks later...

I made it home with the new beast. When I got out to Colorado I had enough time to mess with the truck a little bit. A new battery, a makeshift gas tank with some rubber hose, and some carb adjustments and the truck fired up and drove onto the trailer.

• Like 1

post-1131-0-79752100-1412815404_thumb.jpgpost-1131-0-23855300-1412815431_thumb.jpgpost-1131-0-02583200-1412815413_thumb.jpgpost-1131-0-96089100-1412815443_thumb.jpgpost-1131-0-60697700-1412815479_thumb.jpg

I thought for sure I attached pictures earlier....

There she is loaded up on the tow rig, a good shot just after a rain shower went through in Texas, and some pictures of the truck after she was unloaded and a quick couple mile drive just to see what I am up against.... she runs well.... but she needs a lot to be truly safe and useful.

Quite ironically - the farm in Colorado where this truck came from was having a hard time keeping all the trucks and titles straight, so they scratched numbers into the hoods/fenders/grills/wherever convienent for them to easily read when they were gathering up everything to sell. This truck is #7 and it also happens to be the 7th b-series I have had.... so from now on, I'll be calling her #7.

• Like 1

Oh - I almost forgot. While out driving around I decided to grab a brush guard that I have had for years and set it on just because its been so long since its been on a truck.... pretty sure its destined to be installed on this one.

10712860_938494026180618_359945092228612

• Like 3

I acquired that brush guard off of a B-Series stake truck that I bought 17 years ago. The truck was rotten beyond saving, but it had a lot of items that I pulled off of it before scrapping what couldn't be saved. It was a 1 ton dually that was originally used as a John Deere dealership truck. I still have the polished grill bars off of it, the brush guard, the stake racks that have the dealership name on them (the Deere decals fell off long before I got it, but you can see where they were).

• 10 months later...

Its been a rather busy year - but I found some time to do some tinkering over the weekend. I added a new fuel pump, cleaned the carb up a little and fixed a couple of bad gaskets, new plugs and wires, and added a new gas tank in a temporary location. She runs like a dream and I am sure she will be even better after doing some distributor work and a new coil. I also took the time give her a much needed bath and started cleaning her up.... and she cleaned up even better than I imagined she would!

20150809_103701_zpsgilyvyou.jpg

20150809_103710_zpsmqpmjcmp.jpg

20150809_103720_zpsbcn9qctc.jpg

20150809_103735_zpsvktcesqp.jpg

Some more cleaning is needed, I need to start tackling the brakes, but now that I have a good solid stable running engine with good vacuum that should be easier to dig into the booster setup and get things ironed out. Maybe I will get to that this weekend.

I also have started on the new bed design - when I get it a little further along I'll post up a Solidworks screenshot.

• Like 1