Another new owner.

Nikwillig

You youngsters may not realize that between 1950 and 1953 we were fighting a war in Korea. We were on the edge of WW III had we gone on in to China. So I'm quite certain that all automobile makers were keeping things quite simple should they have to suddenly start building tank, Jeeps, etc.

I would guess then that a lot of parts were universal: i.e., Plymouth to Chrysler on the drive trains and the difference was trim, So now you may know a bit more about what they may have been thinking.

Paul;

I meant my comment to be taken at face value....... you can't work on one of these trucks without thinking this from time to time. :lol:

As for the war topic.....Wise Way Tu was never going to let that happen........"Better to back down than to be vaporized".

I have been looking for just the right "I  Like Ike" memorabilia for my 52 for this very reason. The Chinese couldn't get to the peace table fast enough when he got elected. ;)

Jeff

Jeff, I know. However I think that stainless steel and chrome was highly discouraged during this time and why it came on so profusely in the next decade. If I recall correctly dash boards were not the same color as the exterior until around ' 53. Mfgrs had three or four colors for the interior and they made do. I could be wrong on that.

AND when you find an "I like Ike" sticker buy an extra for me or better yet, "MacArthur For President" . Now he knew how to fight a war.

Paul;

Well it is true that materials like chromium, SS, and several types of alloys were all be watched over by our governments. And it wasn't just here these were strictly rationed in the UK and other western countries as well. It definitely affected a lot of products in the period of the Korean conflict.

I will keep an eye open for some "IKE" memorabilia. It would be totally appropriate to have something from that historic period in our trucks. Ike unlike MacArthur was not an egotist. Ike had what I call a "good heart" and really understood the true cost of war. He worked tirelessly in the world arena and behind the scenes to keep us from another terrible war. History shows that he never allowed his ego to get the better of his judgement. You and I both know that there is no way MacArthur would have behaved in that manner. It is interesting to note that he never really wanted the Presidency. Thank God he stepped up to the plate though........it could be a very different world today if he hadn't.

Jeff

• Like 1

Seeing as this, not so young, whippersnapper never really did well in his history classes. He can say for certain, that rarely will he think about all the things that were happening during various time-frames.

That's too bad as all these people and events helped shape a lot of what you probably like about your old truck. Ever wonder why the vehicles of the late 40's and very early 50's differ so much from the styling excesses of the later 50's? It all goes back to Ike.....the exuberance of avoiding another world war ..... and our fascination with the space program which he began. No matter how hard we try we can't avoid history. When we ignore it's lessons we all lose.

Jeff

Paul;

I meant my comment to be taken at face value....... you can't work on one of these trucks without thinking this from time to time. :lol:

As for the war topic.....Wise Way Tu was never going to let that happen........"Better to back down than to be vaporized".

I have been looking for just the right "I  Like Ike" memorabilia for my 52 for this very reason. The Chinese couldn't get to the peace table fast enough when he got elected. ;)

Jeff

Here is my version done to look like it's been there for 60 years. Gary  post-6059-0-21267400-1411156895_thumb.jpg

Spent a portion of this week, attempting to fix repair patch holes in the lower toe board. So far I've decided that purchasing my little gasless welder (flux cored) a few years ago was probably a good idea, even if I'm still learning how to "do it right."

Before I fully "finish" the toe board, I decided it'd be best for me to deal with the rot around the drivers front body mount. So today I pulled the outer/inner fender & wheel off to allow better access to that general area.

post-7349-0-45077200-1411423178_thumb.jpg

Yes, there's only three studs there, yes the other three will be fun to deal with... I was mildly amused to find that those lug-nuts are 1" in size...

*scribbles something on paper* note to self: pick up extra breaker bar + 1" socket for eventual O-shi box.

Took a closer look at the A-pillar today, and noticed it's looking a tad spongy. While, it's not that bad, I feel it's not that great, and may want try to and reenforce it. Regardless, after jacking it up a good ways, I just had to check the door... It closes brilliantly! Well, mostly... At least I now have an idea of a height to reach for with new bushings.

The spot where the bushing would sit, is/was clearly less than ideal, so I've put together some angle iron and a bit of flat stock to slide in there and reenforce as best as I can, or wind up causing me more headaches down the road, who knows. (I'm probably gonna give myself plenty anyhow, so what's one or two more.)

I'll aim for some closeups of what everything looks like tomorrow.

Ah, Pictures. Really, I'm just milking this camera for what it's worth.

Although, one can't really tell for sure about how, sturdy, or not the pillar is, I feel that for what I'm sticking in there, it will need some reinforcement.

The sheet metal above the puck has a clear indentation of where the cab sat down. Hopefully my plan covers that, and then some.

post-7349-0-35605500-1411573493_thumb.jpg post-7349-0-96909800-1411573495_thumb.jpg

There, we can see the extent of what was cut out/replaced before I got it. Part of me still wants to pull it out, and start fresh, part of me says, just tack it down and use it... Oooh what's that I see? A wing-nut?? I'll have to see what THAT connects to. I'm sure that's not a stock part.

(Edited in) Hah, I forgot about that. Turns out to be the plug I stuck into the sending units hole...

Side note, while lifting the cab, I noticed that there was some flex to the frame and bracket... While it's more than what I'd like to see for flex of a frame, I'm sure it's somewhat normal, and will only worry/check into the area up to the point of trying to take off the cab. Seeing as I don't really have the space for that, the cab shall stay put.

Oh, and before I forget, the slab of steel that I plan to slide into that gaping hole around the puck. It's some pretty sturdy stuff that I had laying around. post-7349-0-53111700-1411573490_thumb.jpg

As usual,

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Nikwillig
  • Like 1

Well, I welded in the new chunk of iron for that corner, then set it back down onto the frame. I'm thinking it'll work, but, I'll find out for sure once I hit a few speed bumps.

Currently it allows the door to line up perfectly with the hockey puck under there, I'll be seeing what kinda replacement I'll be getting if/when my local auto-parts store gets something in. So for now, the puck stays.

post-7349-0-77196700-1411774525_thumb.jpg

Also I did a really, rough job at adding some support for the pillar... Hopefully, by the time I'm done with it, It'll look, and work better.

post-7349-0-95194800-1411774522_thumb.jpg

So far, so good. Haven't started any many fires while "playing" with the welder.

Thanks for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

After having spent a good portion of the past week dodging raindrops, I managed to find a large enough break in the weather to sneak into the garage. Once there, I managed to cut up some strips and rebuild a missing section. Currently all that's really needed is to, probably, fill in a bit more on the back, where it opens to the cabin, and add more material in spots for an illusion of a smooth finish. Probably won't though, cause who's really gonna see this portion once the fenders and such are back on, right?

post-7349-0-77749400-1412723943_thumb.jpg

Up next, cleaning/painting/patching holes in the parts that were removed from that side, then to either A) put them back on... (Why would I do that I ask myself) or B) hang them somewhere, for the time being...

After typing that out, I'm strongly leaning toward B.

Then, shimmy rig over to the drivers side some, to give room on the passengers, to dig into that rotten mess...

On a side note, I really should call a guy (I keep putting it off) that supposedly has a 52, and a 47-48 truck stashed in the woods. Knowing how these New England weathers are, I'm not expecting there to be much of them left though.

• Like 1

Stopped in and took a look at the local trucks, I'm guessing they're a 76-77 and a 78-79 from the looks of them... Of course, I'm probably most likely wrong on that. They're in, amusingly, in the condition I was expecting them to be. Sadly, they won't be parted out, and they ain't exactly being given away either. Here's a shot of each.

post-7349-0-73378700-1412979835_thumb.jpg post-7349-0-37723700-1412979840_thumb.jpg

Due to various town laws regarding unregistered vehicles, (you're allowed one, I've now got Two) I decided to leave them both there, and not bother to give him an offer. Plus, my offer would probably be an insulting low-ball offer anyhow.

On a side note, I stumbled upon a pair of Jerry cans, one that's stamped 20-5-87, its interior is practically flawless, kinda like it was never used, or.. recently refinished. Probably the former. The other is stamped 20-5-78, its interior shows that it has been used, as it's slightly rusted.

I think they'd be a great addition to the truck, or, if I ever change my mind... Well, I'd probably be crazy if I were to change my mind.

post-7349-0-51339400-1412979882_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

For the 2 grand he's asking for it? Well, sadly I no longer have that laying around, that went to one that was already cleaned/running. This B1/B2, well as expected of a rig from New England, has a few nests under the hood, nuts stuffed into the carb, and... due to a missing window, there was a Porcupine living in the cab at some point. And, lets not mention the rust... *shivers*

But as I said, I feel any offer I'd make on it, would be a bit of an insult to the guy. And, I'd rather not try to insult him any more than I already have.

Edit: I'm probably making the rust out to be worse than it is, but... it's worse than what I got.

Edited by Nikwillig