Hello! introducing myself, Brand new to the dodge world, a little help would be nice.

ngrybrd

HI,

My names Tom. i live in NH.  and last night i just picked up a 1950 panel truck for a steal ( traded a $200 hunting rifle for it).  and im really excited about it.  it is all numbers matcing (that is, what numbers i can find, motor matches frame number, but i dont have the tag in the door jamb, but those numbers match the original title i have for it.)   because i dont have the tag, i really dont know anything about it.  I know it has a flathead 6, with a 3 on the tree. not sure if it runs yet,. its a little rough and needs glass all around and moldings, but its rough in a cool way, the worst of the "rot" is the bottom of the drivers side door.  everything else is surface rust. and my wife wants me to leave it that way (and i agree with her), just clean off the dirt, chip off loose or bubbled paint and lightly sand the edges to feather them in so they dont continue to chip or peel.  cover everything in either rat wax of a light coat of oil to give it a satiny sheen without letting the rust grow. make it run and safe to drive and enjoy it like it is.

so my main questions:

can you guys tell me what i have. where are good parts sources? from what i can find through google, it looks like theres no such thing as aftermarket parts for these trucks. so if you can point me in the right direction thatll be awsome.

and lastly, i need engine info, (i still need to learn how to use the search function) but are there any good write ups on rebuilding the engine and transmission,  or maybe just steps to take to see if itll run first, for all i know, it may not even need a full rebuild just some TLC and a tune up.  also, any suggestions on making it run properly without modern unleaded gas ruining it?    even simple info you can offer, like what color did chrysler orginally paint these engines?

ill try to post some pictures with the img link from photobucket, if that doesnt work ill have to figure out what you guys usually use here.  so please disect it, (dont worry im easy, ill take the harshest cruelest advice with open arms) tell me whats not correct, what would you do to it, should change things or keep the same etc. 

thanks in advance.

20140905_065750_zpssm8emdhv.jpg

20140905_065803_zpsopgcwjv5.jpg

20140905_065822_zps6gthhzoh.jpg

20140905_065843_zpsa4tgokul.jpg

20140905_065850_zps5w3v2w1u.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome!! Nice Panel

If you have the serial number, you can plug it in here:

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

The engine should have a serial number stamped on the

side of the head above the generator. The '50 motor would

have started with T-172*******

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html

Both Roberts and Bernbaum are forum sponsors:

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/store/trucks

http://www.oldmoparts.com/parts.aspx

More vendors:

http://www.dodgecentralmi.com/ocart/

http://www.steelerubber.com/

http://www.pilothouseinteriors.com/

A great reference book:

http://www.amazon.com/Dodge-B-Series-Trucks-Restorers-Collectors/dp/1583880879

More knowledge:

http://dodgepilothouseclub.com/know/know.htm

• Thanks 1

i had thought the same thing, but they do list typestting, which was much earlier than the truck, but still in use at the time, the historical society from the town listed says that exchange on the phone was changed to 275 in 1960, behind the phone number you can see where the old number had been removed so they did change it at some point. . but they gave me the name of the company it became, and they are still in business and family run a few generations deep. One of the presidents listed on their website's last name is Sullivan, so its the same family. i've just contacted them, so we'll see what they say, they may even have some old pictures of it they can scan for me.

as for parts, off the top on my head i need the handle for the back door, and the dog dish style hub caps.   i haven't had time to really go over it to see whats missing yet, and as you can see, the back is pretty full, so i may find a few parts in there, i did see the windshield trim and divider bar in the front seat as well as headlight bezels. so ill have to make a whole list of what i have and what i need.

ill look at the title when i get home from work to get the number so i can post it.

• Like 1

awesome Keven, thats a great start.   is there a section on here for build threads? maybe i missed it? if so, once i get started ill let you guys follow along with me.   im used to muscle cars and v8s, (all those forums have a a special section just for everyones builds) so this flat head 6 is making me a little nervous, but im sure ill catch on and i start to go through it.

awesome Keven, thats a great start.   is there a section on here for build threads? maybe i missed it? if so, once i get started ill let you guys follow along with me.   im used to muscle cars and v8s, (all those forums have a a special section just for everyones builds) so this flat head 6 is making me a little nervous, but im sure ill catch on and i start to go through it.

No special section other than the truck area. No reason you can't just keep going right on this thread.

good call, ill just fill in the details here as i go, can i change the title once it turns into a build thread?

also update, the company got back to me, the man said his dad bought it in 84, painted the name on it, and sold it 2 years ago. so the graphics arnt nearly as cool as we thought. 

good call, ill just fill in the details here as i go, can i change the title once it turns into a build thread?

also update, the company got back to me, the man said his dad bought it in 84, painted the name on it, and sold it 2 years ago. so the graphics arnt nearly as cool as we thought. 

I think you have to contact a moderator but they can certainly update it for you. The logo's look old that's all that counts.

hmm, kaiser willys parts. i hadnt thought of that,   so my other cars include a 76 trans am, a 70 monte carlo (as seen in the pictures) a 70 gto, and a 67 mustang. and they all have cars in the same body category that share parts, IE: i can use alot of the more readily available chevelle parts like floor panels, suspension, door handles etc and spend less money then trying to find real GTO parts.    it must be similar for my panel truck, what other Chrysler related models that may be easier to find that i can steal parts off of?  you know, for reference in case i  see an old desoto or something in a junkyard.

welcome, yes you got one HECK of a steal!  So jealous!

Other vendors:

www.vintagepowerwagons.com

www.midwestmilitary.com

you can also look through the "truck parts for sale" classifieds section for those missing parts.  Being a panel, some will be very hard to find, but you have parts on that truck others have been searching for for a LONG time.  I do not think the outer rear fenders are not original?  Some help there panel truck guys?

Just let me know what you want the thread title changed to and I'll switch it over for you.

Welcome to the forum!

• Your side mirror bracket is orginal, the mirror isn't 

• There are 2 inside garnishments for the windshield (u shaped) and 2 center braces. (keep a look out for those)

• The rear fender inserts look like they've been rolled out with a baseball bat (old muscle car trick) 

•  Those fenders can be hard to find, so make an effort to try and save them, if im right about what happened to them. 

• ggdad1951: He can put in a factory type stamp on the inside center brace for the correct location of the rear view mirror.  

• B1BKEVEN: He has a great reputation for guage restos (faces and whatnot)

• Be clear on your location, there are members everywhere! You might find your next "hard to find part" on someone's shelf right down the street!

48D  

I'm just waiting for the time when these two PATINA boys get together on the forums.

An angry bird (ngrybrd) and a flaming phoenix  (pflaming) - should be a treat for everyone ;)

p.s. - very jealous of your acquisition. Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks for all the welcomes and info. I'll have to figure out the location thing and fill out my profile. The mobile version on my phone is throwing me off from trying to find things though.

Next summer when we are in maine, I'm going to locate members in NH and Vt and take me a tour. Met Mark last year. We need to bring our sleeping bags and stay a night or two in his Camp in central Maine.

The NRA may not approve of the trade, but that would make a nice 'grass' truck. You best hide for  few days thievery is frowned upon in many areas. lol   A great find, keep us informed. 

I really, really don't get this statement at all ....what does "grass" have to do with the national rifle association?????

Hey Tom;

That is a very nice panel you have there. You really did get a great deal.

I was new to these Dodge trucks a few years back so I appreciate where you are at with this. The best advice I can give you is to spend some time studying up on your truck. Get the maintenance and parts manuals. Spend some time using the search function on this site for good measure. But don't be afraid to ask questions. This site is really the best source of information and help you are ever going to find. We all want to see you get this back on the road.

Jeff

I really, really don't get this statement at all ....what does "grass" have to do with the national rifle association?????

I'm lost on this one too. Maybe some reference to a Cheech and Chong movie.

Hey gents, so today I cleaned out the truck and I found a few pieces that I have no clue what they are, I'll post pics and maybe you guys will recognize some. I did find the windshield molding, I'm thinking the center bar with the "tabs" on each end is the inside bar? Also, I tried putting the id number (T17250527, can someone pleas fill me in on what info this gives me?) into that decoder but it said it was incorrect. Is there a place on the frame or something to find a vin, since my tag in the door jamb is missing it's been tricky finding info. I did find a tag on the firewall. I'll post a bunch of pictures once they upload to photobucket but It's basically the shape of a dog tag. It's on the very top corner on the drivers side, And says 4913 7434. Does that mean anything? The wood floor is in great shape, I also found the cover panel for where the battery goes under the drivers feet. I did find a cool hidden compartment under the passenger seat, any story behind that? Also, what is the knob directly above the gas pedal? Also I pressure washed all the old gunk off, chipped off the peeling paint inside the roof, and cleaned a bit, it looks pretty darn good if I do say so. Next step is getting new window gaskets, and making some custom windows out of lexan. Fire/police department says lexan is ok on the windshield if it's a gasket style install, definitely not ok on a glued in windshield, so if I can find a cheap source or mr-10 lexan (the super scratch/uv resistant type) Stay tuned for a bunch of pics.