1952 Dodge B-3-B pickup, starting the journey

Phil363

Just a very quick update ... having fun sandblasting the small parts from my pickup.  Started on the front and rear axle brake parts first.  This is going to take awhile .. tons of small parts to put into the sandblasting cabinet.

Once I sandblasted the parts I have also shot them with primer.  Will paint later once I get enough parts primed before I open up a can of paint.

I also ordered and received Charlie's Disc brake conversion kit.  Figured it would be easier to put on when I get into reassembly of the frame later this year.

post-7088-0-85881400-1420561558_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-72101500-1420561559_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-59243000-1420561560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363

• 1 month later...

Have not gotten to the frame or engine yet other than cleaning them up and stripping all parts off prior to repair or sandblasting.

Spent most of my time sandblasting and painting a lot of small parts and ordering some of the parts I know I will need to replace.

I have been told that my use of the Breakfast nook table is a serious no go by the family :P  ... but it is "was" so convenient was my way of thinking .. flat open space ... needing to be used .... well back to the garage for me now. 

The freshly painted pumpkin is to my 3.73 Ratio differential off of a 1948 Chrysler Windsor ... gears are now nice and cleaned up as well.  I may replace one of the bearing inside as there is some very small pitting on the rollers.  It is only just the one bearing ... all other gears/bearings look perfect with no wear marks.

Will be traveling for the next two weeks for the job and will pull the axles out and remove the old 4.11 differential once I get back and then clean it up.  Hope it goes as easily as Young Ed's techniques looked.  Will cut some small PVC pieces once I get back as well to use with my rear break drums and heavy duty puller.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -   UPDATED 24 March 2015 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I followed Young Ed's technique with the PVC section acting as a spacer with the Heavy duty drum puller ... all I managed to do was strip my threads out of the axle spindle nut.  Everything looked good ... it just did not work for me.  I supect the spindle nut threads had cracks .. it was really torqued on and a real pain in the butt to get off during the break down phase. 

So I went to the auto parts store and "borrowed" a sliding hammer and puller set seen in the photo below ... took longer to put it on then to take both axles off.   The tool use required a security deposit .. which was fully refunded when I returned the tool.  Sweet deal!!! 

post-7088-0-78737700-1427212796_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-83898800-1427212797_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-24655100-1427305101_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-60932400-1427306705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Have been on a hiatus since the late spring this year when I had completed my tear down phase.  Had managed to rebuild the third member with 3.73 gears and put in some new bearings into that when the family said I had to spend more time with them .. which led to summer vacations overseas .. getting daughter off to her last 2 years for college in Japan etc … there was a long list of things to do other than my hobby J

Anyway, between the spring time and now I have been stock piling parts that I needed once I got the time to get back into the rebuild which is where I am now.  Working on the 3 speed column shift transmission and working my way to the engine.  The transmission sounded fine but was filled with black jelly for transmission fluid.  Leaked transmission fluid from the speedo cable and rear seal.  Inside was just black gunk stuck to every square inch of metal / gears … but no metal shavings were found when I poured the trans fluid over a very strong magnet thru a funnel.  The gears are also in great shape and require no replacement that I can see.  Since I have it opened and clean I also decided to replace the front and rear bearings (FAFNIR 207WDG C-1 & FAFNIR 306KG-2 respectively) along with the needle bearing SKF QBR23549 (I found and purchased some NOS bearings in pristine condition).

Well I will now be shooting for a rolling frame in the spring … and work on it as I can.  This could take a while .. but I am still enjoying myself even at this slower pace.

​PS:  have enjoyed reading everyone's else's posts on their own project(s) over the summer and fall as well. 

post-7088-0-04771300-1450825918_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-79740400-1450825918_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-46692400-1450825919_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 3

them pictures are stage...ain't nobody got a work bench that neat and clean.....

The neat work bench will not last the weekend ... just cleaned it up last night and laid out the parts I will be working on this weekend after X-Mas ;) 

• Like 1

Those darn overseas family vacations, LOL

I was wondering where you were. Looks to me like your still on track.... Now get back out there and get that shop messy!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My latest sub-project of my B-3-B rebuild .. the starter and generator.

I have to admit ... I finally met my match in the removal of Screws ... specifically the BIG screws that hold the coils inside the housings for the Generator and Starter :angry: .  Used my impact tool to remove numerous old rusted screws, bolts, and nuts before but only managed to bend the normal sized screw driver heads out of shape this time.

I spent about two weeks after work .. periodically giving it the literal wack ... before I said time to pass it to the shop in town that actually rebuilds these old items. 

They have made a special 1/2 wide screw driver tip for an impact tool .. and gave it some very hard hits .. which damaged the screws ... but they came out of the Generator.  I also had him press in my new sealed bearing while he was at it and put the armature on a lathe to clean it up as well.

I was going to order the both the Generator and Starter rebuild kits from Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts .... but when I called they said they no longer offer the Generator kit but that I could send it in to them to have it rebuilt.  I had to decline as the shipping and return postage of the heavy Generator (or starter) would be cost prohibitive in my mind.  I just ordered the new brush set and end bearing from them at that time.

Will call them tomorrow and order the complete Starter Kit from them and then finish sandblasting and painting both the generator and starter.

post-7088-0-08538000-1456704352_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-47975600-1458684598_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-69027900-1468844877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 2