Engine Paint Color 1941 Plymouth P11

Dick41

I know I saw this answer somewhere on the Forum.  However, I searched and can't find it.  

I would like to know the stock paint color for a 1941 Plymouth L Head engine please.   A rattle can off-the-shelf product recommendation and source would be appreciated too.  I used high-heat paint (black) on the intake and exhaust manifolds.

I have what appears to be a stock paint spare engine that is kind of aqua blue.  Not sure what color is stock.  This is not going to be a show car trailer queen but I would like to keep it stock looking.

Thanks All

Dick

The Old Silver radiator Paint of Days gone By.

Or:

Bill Hirsh 396

Littleton Avenue

Newark New Jersey

PH:973-642-2404

A Can of Engine Paint good to 5,000 Degrees Pint Can is Plenty @ $18

He also sells Hogs Hair Carpeting, Head Liners, Wool Seat Cloth ETC.

He used to sell Hub Cap Skins as well and Wheel Rings (Probably still does)

Tom

Once again, many thanks to you Forum Members for the quick response.   I like the look of that blue block that Don Coatney posted.  Blue it is!   Wish I had a split exhaust manifold and twice carbs like those.  Good looking mill.

On my grandpas 50 Dodge I am going pure stock also.  When I looked around at engine colors(which I havent painted YET),,,,the bone stock silver didnt appeal to me.  I liked Don's baby blue color too.  Which now occupies the 2nd slot in my wish list.

Another issue with mine is dont know how the baby blue engine would "GO" with the dark blue car color. Does anyone have an opinion as how a baby blue engine would GO with a dark blue firewall and exterior color??

When I was looking all around at others pics ran across some hammered copper color I really liked.  With black accessory and black engine compartment except dark blue firewall,,,thinking it would be rather striking.(and not overbearing)  I MAY change my mind before I get that far

My biggest issue with painting is the previous owner when this car was last driven must have drove on some sloppy wet roads.  The dirt is like super glued to the whole underside and firewall engine area.  It wont evn rub off as you would expect so some spray degreaser is next on list to try.  Its in a garage I cant get the floor wet so its waiting till its a roller again

Edited by Grdpa's 50 Dodge

Silver was the original color on all these old Mopar flatheads...........in all makes.  

But you can do it anyway you like.  You could do the block in a light to medium blue with navy

blue accessories instead of black.  Or......whatever you like.   

I did mine in Por 20 high temp aluminum with black accessories......car is yellow.  Inner fenders are black.

Gold item in the background is an ooogah  horn.

100_7583.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Note to GPa:    First...thank you all..

GPA:   The prior owner of my 41 coupe had painted the car a very dark blue metallic.  It almost looks black unless the sun hits it.   The engine had been that blue, very close to Coatney's color.  I think it looked good.   I painted *(High heat) the manifollds flat black.  The oil filter, spark plug wire loom, generator, starter and other accessories gloss black.   Looked pretty good to me!  So, it is going back to that same color scheme when the guy puts the engine back in.   I think we (he) will also do the transmission in blue or black too.

Earlier this year, when I was thinking about putting a 318 in the car, I bought an engine and transmission from this mechanic guy.   That setup came out of a 73 Dodge Demon and was bright....very bright....lime green.  That was one of their colors back in the day.   I was giving serious thought to leaving it lime green.  That, in a dark blue coupe, might have been "A little out there."  

FYI ALL:   By the way, the guy has a 68 Dodge 4 speed tranny mated to a 72 Dodge 318 rebulit (He says).   Headers, alternator, 4 bbl. carb.  and more.  Complete with the Dodge Demon for around $1600.   FYI:  The Demon is pretty far gone but mostly complete roller.   He is in Galt, CA. I get nothing out of this but told him I would mention it on the forum.

LOL:  More pressing problems....actually a crisis!   My Dishnetwork Tivo Thingy took a dump last Sunday.   Holiday meant no delivery of new one until today.   Football is Sunday so I am about to crawl "Under the Hood" of the TV cabinet and install the new box.   NFL and MLB calling!

Dick

Dick41, on 04 Sept 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

IN PART

Earlier this year, when I was thinking about putting a 318 in the car, I bought an engine and transmission from this mechanic guy.   That setup came out of a 73 Dodge Demon and was bright....very bright....lime green.  That was one of their colors back in the day.   I was giving serious thought to leaving it lime green.  That, in a dark blue coupe, might have been "A little out there."  

If I understand you saying the engine was tis bright lime green and was of of the colors back in the day....for the car yes..the engine..never...* P4349217 Blue is the correct color for most 318 of this era...318 and 360 from 83 up were painted black..do not confuse this with the turquoise blue common to the big block

*restoration pages of the small block per Mopar Performance catalog

You are of course, correct Adams re engine colors.   I only referenced that lime green car color to illustrate the color of the engine.  It was half in jest as a color choice for an engine.  To say it was "striking" would be an understatement!  See picture.

post-6889-0-08153400-1410040928_thumb.gif