Need some help to identify my engine

Grinden

Those numbers are casting numbers and might have some meaning but not for I'd. Above the generator on the block just below the head is a stamped in number. It should start with a C followed by numerals and characters. That will I'd the engineering code for the car. If you don't want fluid drive (which is not the transmission) you will need to change bellhousing over to a Plymouth style dry clutch set up, and this will engerder rear cross member modifications, since the set up is shorter than that of the dodge, desoto, and Chrysler. You might want to educate yourself as to fluid drive, and the three or four transmissions that were bolted behind the FD unit. Some good sources are all par (search fluid drive) and the

Imperial club website in their repair and maint section. Do you know what transmission is in your car

Being a Windsor it most likely had the semi automatic, but if it is a low option car it might have a regular three speed.

• Like 1

The engine is from a -53 Windsor but I don't know the cui. I just got the car and it had no engine or trany. I have to decode the vin to see how it came from the factory.

This number was stamped on the engine

1521853_10204866637210404_42027783855405

I did'nt have it in my car when i got it so i don't know how to put it together with all the linkage and so on. I live in sweden and have to get it registrated since it was imported from the US and in my mind it seams more easy to put a less complicated trany in it. When the registration is done I'm planing on putting a 318 and a 727 in it.

It will be alot of work for sure but parts for the engine and trany are not hard to find here if compared too the stock trany.

I know were too find a stock trany but it is a 4h drive oneway and it sits in a car.

from what i understand the FD i operated by both vaccum and electronics and you have to have the right carb for it (that what's I been told). Is that right?

Fluid drive is not a transmission and does not require vacuum nor an electrical connection. There are some transmissions that have those requirements.

The engine is from a -53 Windsor but I don't know the cui. I just got the car and it had no engine or trany. I have to decode the vin to see how it came from the factory.

This number was stamped on the engine

You mention decoding the vin on this car to see how it came from the factory. This is not possible on the same way it would be from newer cars. The "VIN" does not have identifying information as it relates to options. The engine number can be matched to the car year and make. You can however get the information on how your car came from the factory including engine number, paint colors, transmission, etc. from Chrysler Historical Services ( http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx ). The price from them is $45 your your year car and includes a copy of the build card as well as decoding of the information on the card. It takes about 4-6 weeks to recieve. I got it done for my car and I think it was well worth the money spent as I can now prove my car is numbers matching (all components match with date codes on them and engine number and transmission match, etc.)

I'm curious. Several times in the previous posts it's mentioned that fluid drive is not a transmission. I guess that is kinda sorta true, but the transmission isn't a 3 speed standard, it's more of an automatic. So, if you aren't going to call the transmission that is specific to the fluid drive setup a fluid drive transmission, what are we calling it?

I do realize the early ones were just 3 speeds with a fluid coupler between the clutch and motor, but by the time this Chrysler was made they were a whole different animal that had automatic shifting.

This from the Allpar website.

The M6, sold as Presto-Matic, Fluidmatic, Tip-Toe Shift, Gyro-Matic, and Gyro-Torque, was a two-speed manual transmission with an electric 1:1 ratio unit (loosely called an overdrive unit) attached. It was used on Dodge (1948-1953), DeSoto (1946-1953) and Chrysler (1946-1953) models, and was coupled to either Fluid Drive (fluid coupling) or Fluid-Torque Drive (torque converter).

The clutch was necessary any time the gear lever was moved between Low/High, or Reverse. A fluid coupling was attached to the flywheel, and a conventional clutch was mounted in tandem.

I'm not too sure that anyone has actually answered the OP's initial question/concern.  If I read the posts correctly, he only needs/wants an engine-trans combo that will appear original to his local inspectors and this could be just about any of our beloved L6. If I am mistaken, someone will correct me. Yes, it would be very nice to know what trans was original so that the column shift would be functional with a 'like' trans even if it is an M6 or such.

the term semi-automatic was used by Mopar as there was what we refer to as a "manual intervention"  this intervention is in the form of the driver letting up on the gas momentarily to cause the upward shift..thus not fully automatic..

as for the original poster's question..he wants a non fluid coupled three speed..that will require the set up of the D24 that were so equipped..(not familiar enough with DeSoto or Chrysler to make the statement they may have had the same) I mentioned the fact that these were available through Dodge for that era and the three big sisters were a shared platform.....so technically it should be a swap over...I know of one person on here that has done that swap...his question has been answered but the parts source is going to be his main concern..and as Don C. pointed out..linkage is linkage in either set up...no getting around those connections...