Stuck Motor

wildwilf

I've had a couple of stuck Plymouth engines that didn't respond to soaking.  When I pulled the heads off, the cylinders didn't look rusty but each piston was stuck in its bore nevertheless and had to be hammered out.   If any pistons are at the bottom of their travel in the cylinder, they will not respond to rocking the crankshaft with a breaker bar because there is no upward push from the crankshaft (the connecting rod pivots on the wrist pin).

• Like 1

I've had a couple of stuck Plymouth engines that didn't respond to soaking.  When I pulled the heads off, the cylinders didn't look rusty but each piston was stuck in its bore nevertheless and had to be hammered out.   If any pistons are at the bottom of their travel in the cylinder, they will not respond to rocking the crankshaft with a breaker bar because there is no upward push from the crankshaft (the connecting rod pivots on the wrist pin).

Harold;

Where these engines that had run as recently as 3 years back? I could see that on an old junk yard engine that was outside and and you didn't know the history on it. It is just really hard to picture an engine that was in this truck running 3 years back and now it is seized solid? Maybe it got water in the bores?

Jeff

Did you remove the flywheel when the trans/clutch work was done?

Problems have been reported about the bolts or nuts on the back side between the flywheel and motor hitting and locking a motor tight against rotation.

Remove the lower inspection cover  on the bell housing and look in that area for any problems.

Another thought,

Good luck,

DJ

Harold;

Where these engines that had run as recently as 3 years back? I could see that on an old junk yard engine that was outside and and you didn't know the history on it. It is just really hard to picture an engine that was in this truck running 3 years back and now it is seized solid? Maybe it got water in the bores?

Jeff

One engine sat for less than 6 months and locked-up.  The other was in a car that was in a garage nearly 20 years.  The visible part of the cylinders in both engines were clean.   I think environmental moisture under the piston (coming in through the road draft tube and oil breather cap) is a factor too.   The only way to soak the lower rings would be to pull the engine, remove the pan, and turn the motor upside down.

Harold;

Oh I see. You will have to excuse my ignorance of that set of conditions. I have spent my entire life in the LA Basin and that stuff doesn't really happen here. In fact my truck had sat outdoors for around 20 years and turned right over. I went ahead and pulled the head and drooped the oil pan because I didn't want the unknown biting me. When I inspected things I found not trace of rust or corrosion in the internals.

I suppose we will have to wait to see what Wilf comes up with. I still think it is likely that it is something other than a seized engine based on what he is saying.

Jeff

Oh I see. You will have to excuse my ignorance of that set of conditions. I have spent my entire life in the LA Basin and that stuff doesn't really happen here. 

I envy you west coasters when it comes to rust (or lack thereof).   I remember seeing junkyard Plymouths in California that were far more solid than any I've owned.

... sat outdoors for around 20 years and turned right over ...

My buddy just fired up a 40's Jeep that sat for five years. Gasoline in the tank and air in the tires. Gotta love So Cal.

Update

Today I finally got the chance to pull the head, valve covers and oil pan and here is what I found

all the cylinders are rust free, sprayed PBBlaster in all cylinders and the first 4 drained away over time the last 2 it is still sitting there.

the crank and connecting rods look brand new except the last 2 connecting rods do show some rust. (there was no water anywhere it shouldn't have been)

sprayed PBBlaster all over everything.

No rust on the valve train all the valves move prying them up.

So now it is a waiting game to see if it will do and good.

Going to respray everything again tomorrow

Wilf

Did you remove the flywheel when the trans/clutch work was done?

Problems have been reported about the bolts or nuts on the back side between the flywheel and motor hitting and locking a motor tight against rotation.

Remove the lower inspection cover  on the bell housing and look in that area for any problems.

Another thought,

Good luck,

DJ

Sorry I missed your question

the flywheel and clutch were never removed just the transmission

It is now turning fine. to day I jacked up the ass end so it was level because I noticed that the PBBlaster wasn't lying flat in the cylinders.

Resprayed all the cylinders left it for about 2 hours then started to rock it back and forth with a breaker bar and it let out a little crack noise and started to turn.

So I started to rock it back and forth a little at a time and now I can get it to turn round and round. :)

What a relief it is knowing that I don't have to pull the motor. Except to get 60 years of road grime off and paint it.

I would like to thank everybody for all the help with this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

And I would like to thank the makers of PBBlaster.

• Like 1