Recommend Car Cover?

Bingster

I'm looking to cover my Desoto.  It's in a metal building but it does get humid in there, and there are a couple of vent windows out.  I have that bucket of stuff that absorbs moisture, and I don't know whether or not a car cover would help or make the situation worse by trapping humidity in the car.

But if I should go this route, any recommendations for a good cover?

if the floor was not poured with a moisture barrier..you will want to park it on a tarp..the cover needs to be able to breath...there are a number of makers out there of covers..your call as usually quality =costly..some are overrated and not really needed as it seem your sole purpose is to protect from dust fall out and not the elements you  may wish to use this as your primary concern....will cost less...Budge is one maker found at big box stores that are fair priced for covering a car stored indoors..you can go to the other extreme but do you really need it...only you can answer that..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

As suggested, a big piece of plastic on the floor will do a lot of good. Get a cheap tarp at Walmart, spread it on the floor and park on it.  For dust protection, I use old blankets. Dust will go through a sheet and those parachute material covers aren't much better.

If someone is throwing out an old rug then put this on the floor to also keep the moisture down.  Also there is a little know trick when you have bia ply tires to stop the flat spot on your tires and that is to put a piece  of rug on each tire. It works. There is a major car collector in my area and when we visited his collection and he has over 150 classic cars, Packard, Duesys and other major valuable cars each car has the rug under the tires. We asked him about the rug and he tolds us this is to stop the flat spot.  This collector also drives these cars.

Since your car is inside and you are not having to protect from rain and snow then a cheap car cover from any of the box stores will work such as Walmart. From your posting you sound as if you just want dust and uv-ray protection and since its indoors go the cheap route.  Also when someone also is throwing out an old blanket use it to protect the fenders since these stick out and have a more tendency to get hit with things hanging out of your pockets and even when another car is parked next to your and the doors open.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

unless you are thinking umpteen years before starting..the parking of the car on a moisture barrier and keeping it indoors is about the best you going to do outside of buying a very special sealed chamber designed for the purpose....I would venture to guess prior to your purchase it had sat out of doors like forever..these cars do not got to rust residue overnight..for the record, I live in the very humid south and I let a set of front fenders sandblasted and sitting uncovered in a metal storage building converted to sandblast shop for 3 months..they were not rusted...

Can you setup a dehumidifier in the  garage and then have a hose attached to the unit and it will keep the humidity down. Once the temp gets below a certain point the dehumidifier  will no longer work and then you have to shut off the unit. So from early spring t a mid fall.

If anything do not cover the car in plastic as the plastic willhold the moisture and then you get bigger problems.  I see so many cars in driveways that have plastic over the entire car and then bungie cords holding the plastic down on the body. Then when you go to work on the car the entire body is nothing but a rust bucket and the paint is gone and you have bigger issues.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com