Oil Pump Leak

1oldtruck

I seem to have leak from my oil pump at the side of the block. Is there a gasket to replace? I've called around and cant seem to find one...as in "we have nothing like that listed" Should I be asking for something else?

Or is it better to replace the whole oil pump?

Making your own gaskets is quick and easy. I wouldn't try it for a head gasket. And my success for exhaust manifold gaskets has been so-so. But for things like oil or water pump gaskets it is pretty darned easy.

First time I replaced my oil pump cover plate I found that the brown craft paper they make grocery bags out of was just about right to both seal and give the correct clearance between the gears and the cover.

For the gasket between the block and the pump, I'd have to measure the thickness but I suspect gasket paper stock that is close enough is available at your local auto supply.

• Like 1

Is your oil leak coming from the oil pump or from the valve covers located directly above the oil pump as pictured below?

If it is coming from the oil pump is it the gasket where the pump attaches to the crankcase or from the plate with 5 bolts that covers the gears? I agree with Tod that making a replacement gasket is easy to do. And thicken does matter if it the 5 bolt gear cover gasket. Follow the link below for a how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS8mpXVLOg

Oilleaks1.jpg

• Like 1

Don't use a paper gasket between the pump and the pump cover plate on 1946 and later pumps or you will lose oil pressure. A special square cut cross section round rubber O-Ring type seal is required.

• Like 3

Don't use a paper gasket between the pump and the pump cover plate on 1946 and later pumps or you will lose oil pressure. A special square cut cross section round rubber O-Ring type seal is required.

what he said!  I'm sure VPW has that.

All you guys with those new fangled engines. . . Ya probably got those fancy modern rotor thingies in there too instead of gears. :)

(Looking at the parts book, you are correct that '46 was the switch over year.)

• Like 2