Engine Mounts

ROB-PA

Hi everyone; new here and could use some help. I just started rebuilding a 1935 Plymouth sedan. It came without an engine so I tracked down a running 1946 Dodge truck (the engine actually turned out to be from a 54 Plymouth!). I am trying to sort out the engine mount situation. The front plate is different. I could fabricate something but I would rather keep it as original as I can. Any help on locating the proper mount plate or info to fabricate would be much appreciated.

Joe he's talking about the metal piece that bolts to the frame. The piece for a truck is entirely different than a car one. I have extra p15 front mounts but I have no idea if they are the same as 35(PJ?).

Thanks for the input guys. I am referring to the front mount plate that bolts to the engine. The front mount on the 46 truck bolts directly to the frame with no rubber mounts (there are rubber mounts on the rear). If there is another transition piece that bolts to the cross member saddle I guess I would need that as well. That is the problem at the moment, I don't know what the assembly is supposed to look like. It's difficult to interpret from the pictures of the rubber mounts on the net. Right now I would be happy with a picture or a good sketch/description! I can fabricate if I know what it is.

Thanks for the picture. The 46 truck mount is similar. The 35 sedan only has the cross member so I can't tell. The only thing that I can note is that the span between the bolt holes in the cross member of the truck is approx. 18 in and the sedan is about 12 in. When I check for motor mounts the pictures show a flat rubber mount for the front. I think I must be missing something other than the front plate for the engine. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Both vehicles are in different places right now and neither is at my house. Then I only have to figure out how to upload the pictures!

Well, that clears up some of my confusion and shows my ignorance. I was assuming that the engine mount went between the frame and the front plate. I just went over to look at the truck mount and after I cleared off some of the grime behind the fan there it was! Thanks for getting me straight. Now, if I can't locate an original, at least it won't be a very difficult task to fabricate one from the existing plate.

I contacted French Lake today. Unfortunately the only 35 Plymouth that they had was the same as mine; no engine and no front plate. I have the parts list for the 35 and from what  I can see the correct part number for the 'Plate (engine front support)' is 634023. Does anyone have a more extensive parts listing that would show if this is used in other years?

Thanks JC, that looks like a great reference to have available. It appears that they changed everything after 1935. None of the part numbers correspond and my cross member mounts are much nearer the centerline of the car and are at an angle; not horizontal. The one from the 46 truck is very similar to the one in the illustration.  At least now I know. I'll just count on having to modify the old front plate. Now that I've looked harder at the two set ups I realize that the bell housing and rear mount are different also. Should make life more interesting!

Thanks for the input guys. The 37 four door Robert attached a picture of is very similar to the one that I have from the 46 truck. If the 36 Dodge is similar I would most likely be modifying it also. The parts list attached in the above post gives a completely different number for everything after 35, but who knows. Does the 36 look like the 37? The option that I have not looked at yet is changing the frame mount to accept the 46 front plate; it may be easier. I tried to upload a picture but my files are too large. I try to figure it out; new to this type of communication.

Attached is a picture of the front plate of the 46 truck (I hope!). The red ovals are about where the frame mounting bolts are on the 35. They are on ears inboard of the cross member. I'll try to get a picture of that next.

post-7297-0-19327600-1409187003_thumb.jpg

The 36 motor mount looks just like the 37 in Robert's picture (as does the truck one if I'm not mistaken). On the 36 it mounts to mounts off of the frame which I also have. I'd sell all three for $40 plus shipping and I think flat rate would work.

Thanks bbbbbb99. The price sounds very reasonable. I'm still checking for a source for the correct front plate so give me a little time. What are you referring to by 'all three' ? I am still waiting for the car to be transported to my place. I have the 46 truck parts (they were local).

I got everything but the body. I have the frame and all of the driveline. The guy that I bought it from wanted to put the body on a late model frame; an S10 I think. I thought that it was a shame. The truck was a solid, running and driving machine. I guess that I shouldn't complain since I got an engine and transmission for my Plymouth. I have yet to see what other components are compatible, like brakes etc. The Plymouth has been sitting in storage for 40 years. I did get four solid 15 inch wheels and tires that I will use to roll the car around on until I can get the stock artillery wheels blasted and painted and locate some tires I can afford.

Thanks bbbbbb99. The price sounds very reasonable. I'm still checking for a source for the correct front plate so give me a little time. What are you referring to by 'all three' ? I am still waiting for the car to be transported to my place. I have the 46 truck parts (they were local).

I have the front plate and the two frame mounts. I'm almost 100% sure it will work for you.

Sorry about that, after I re-read your post I saw what you were talking about. I think that they might work also but my front cross member is different. I'll have to do some measuring to confirm that the frame mounts will fit. My crossmember is 'U' shaped; the middle is toward the front of the car and either end sweeps toward the back of the car. I have been having problems getting the car transported so it still is not at my shop (very frustrating). I hope that they do work it would be a fairly simple solution.

Thanks for the information. I'll PM you once I figure this out.

By the way I also received a Chrysler engine with the truck drive train that I bought. The previous owner bought it for parts not realizing that nothing would fit. It is in unknown condition at this time but he did tell me it would not turn over. I'll be sorting it out and posting the parts here eventually.

Sorry about that, after I re-read your post I saw what you were talking about. I think that they might work also but my front cross member is different. I'll have to do some measuring to confirm that the frame mounts will fit. My crossmember is 'U' shaped; the middle is toward the front of the car and either end sweeps toward the back of the car. I have been having problems getting the car transported so it still is not at my shop (very frustrating). I hope that they do work it would be a fairly simple solution.

Thanks for the information. I'll PM you once I figure this out.

By the way I also received a Chrysler engine with the truck drive train that I bought. The previous owner bought it for parts not realizing that nothing would fit. It is in unknown condition at this time but he did tell me it would not turn over. I'll be sorting it out and posting the parts here eventually.

My 36 dodge is almost exactly like (if not exactly like) the picture Robert Horne posted. I think a 35 Plymouth would be identical to that. The crossmember you're talking about is not where the engine mounts I am almost certain. Since someone was going to hot rod it, they probably took the frame mounts off.

Thanks bbbbbb99 ,you could be right and I hope that you are. What I assumed were the mounts for the front plate on the '35 when I checked it out were two mounting 'ears' on the back side of the front crossmember about 12 inches apart with one bolt hole each. Even if that was what was used before, if the crossmember is the same they could be removed and the ones that you have could be attached to the frame. Were these frame mounts riveted or bolted on? I'll most likely end up getting the 3 pieces from you.

The parts lists show a completely different part number for the '35 and everything '36 and up. The part number for the '35 is 634023 and '36 and up is either 852266 or 861296. I'm trying to get the car here by this weekend so I can get a better look and get some pictures.