Mopar 802 Radio

I have been on a little bit of a buying spree.  Next Wednesday I am scheduled to pick up a cab to replace my rusty one.  

I also pulled the trigger on a Mopar 802 radio.  Turns out it does not work, but I will be sending it out for a professional restoration.  

Still, I thought I would share some photos of the inside and outside of the unit for those who might not know what the inside looks like.  

Shown in the photos is a date of January 1948 on one of the components, and I also cleaned up the area that shows the serial number of the radio. 

Anyway, just sharing. 

Paul

post-7134-0-35319500-1408727733_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-74955600-1408727750_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-81757000-1408727762_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-69647100-1408727775_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-95368900-1408727789_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-90657700-1408727800_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-22444400-1408727813_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-88093600-1408727823_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find Paul, i know nothing about them but it sure looks clean.

congrats on the cab, i will be looking for the photo's on the "what have i done" page..... :)

Hey, if you run across a 610T let me know i would arm wrestle Mark F. for it.....  :P  

Can you guys gave an Idea of the price for a stock type update repairs and maybe an updated (fm stereo and such) ?

A friend is very good at electronic repair and such and i'm hoping he may be able  to make a few bucks as he's disabled.

He's thinking it is a lot or work for a small return.

I've offered my stock 50Ply. radio to check it out and prices of replacement parts, but he's still skeptical.

Just askin'

Thanks

DJ

Tks, Keven,

DJ

OOOooooh, some sprague bumblebee caps  :) Those are worth a little coin in some gibson and fender circles if they test okay. Definitely a philco set since it uses loctal-8 tubes. Did the lights & tube filaments power up when power was applied or did nothing happen? My 813 had a bad on-off switch on the volume control that I had to bypass, looked like it burned and exploded! Just glad the volume pot. still worked, those are obsolete...

I'd like to kow his contact info.  Private message or posted here.

Thank you.

Paul

The place is Aladdin Radio Repair, (415) 731-1920.  The owner, Mr. Wentzel, is in his early 90's and ONLY works with tube radios and older electronics.  Very nice guy and great to deal with.  He is THE guy in SF for older radio repairs.

Nice find Paul, i know nothing about them but it sure looks clean.

congrats on the cab, i will be looking for the photo's on the "what have i done" page..... :)

Hey, if you run across a 610T let me know i would arm wrestle Mark F. for it.....  :P  

no wresting needed, I bought one of Hank's

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

Nice find on the 802 radio. It took me only 29 years to find my first 610-T (but I think Reg is still looking) I'm in the process of restoring one of the three I have left for Mark's FEF. It is a NOS radio but like all pre-transistor radios it will require replacing all the wax capacitors with new modern ceramic capacitors, then each resistor is tested to see that it meets spec and if not that is replaced as well. You'll do well to make it the last thing, the finishing touch for your truck. Try to find original documentation for your Motorola 802 including the all-important schematic diagram. The funny thing about these radios is that unlike modern radios they require a power unit (at least the 610-T does, not sure on the 802). What happens is in most cases the person removing the radio from the truck thinks the receiver is the complete radio and overlooks the power unit which also will show up on eBay at a later date, usually misnomered  as a radio. One of the guys here will surely know if the 802 requires a power unit. 

Good luck with your radio and if I can be of any help, please let me know,

Hank :)   

• Like 1

I bought a Mopar 802 from Mike's Radio in PA for (hate to say it) $700.00 that was gutted and replaced with modern circuitry.  It plays AM, FM and can play music from my phone. Only problem is I can't turn it up loud because it distorts. Sent it back to him and he returned it saying it was fixed. Still distorts when turned up loud. Didn't return it to him again, will live with it for now.

Yeah, I tried all that Jeff. Different speakers, disconnect one speaker, they are the right Ohms. Also I followed his directions and only used two speakers since he set it up to remain 6 volts. Sounds great until you turn it up. It's not normal distortion, the amps meter goes into the negative too.