Master Cylinder Question

50 coupe
Go to solution Solved by Mike,

I reviewed all the previous posts regarding master cylinders and disc conversions by don't know that I found an answer to this. I need to know which MC I can use for a disc front/disc rear set up. I have a disc brake Explorer rear end and will be doing a front disc conversion. Earlier this year I bought a Mustang II MC for disc front/drum rear now wondering if that will work or if I need a MC specifically for a disc/disc application. If I use the Mustang II MC will I need a proportioning valve for the rear/drum side?

I installed a rear disc brake Explorer rear end in my '41 Plymouth. I could not get them to work with the Corvette dual reservoir master (for disc/disc). I was told by ECI that the Explorer rear disc brakes require power assist and that without it there was not enough pressure to make them work. I tried using a smaller bore master to increase pressure. It worked slightly better but still not well. I ended up installing Explorer drum brakes and my car stops very well now.

I hope you have better luck than I did. I will be interested to learn how it turns out for you.

Jim Yergin

I installed a rear disc brake Explorer rear end in my '41 Plymouth. I could not get them to work with the Corvette dual reservoir master (for disc/disc). I was told by ECI that the Explorer rear disc brakes require power assist and that without it there was not enough pressure to make them work. I tried using a smaller bore master to increase pressure. It worked slightly better but still not well. I ended up installing Explorer drum brakes and my car stops very well now.

I hope you have better luck than I did. I will be interested to learn how it turns out for you.

Jim Yergin

Well that is not very encouraging, but I do appreciate the info!

Thanks Jim.

Why not use a Explorer Master Cylinder.

The Mustang II master cylinder is a small bore setup, for a small car.

I am considering that route but if I do, will I need to rig up a booster or 'power-brake' unit to make it work?

• Solution

Couldn't you just change the Master cylinder to a 50's era ford master with the booster. Like this setup http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTM4WDEyODE=/$(KGrHqR,!o!FBb00cQ+-BQhww4r+D!~~60_57.JPG

I though I saw a website a month ago that had a Ford brake booster adapted to the plymouth master cylinder, Ill try to look again for it.

Edited by hflmike21

Couldn't you just change the Master cylinder to a 50's era ford master with the booster. Like this setup http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTM4WDEyODE=/$(KGrHqR,!o!FBb00cQ+-BQhww4r+D!~~60_57.JPG

I though I saw a website a month ago that had a Ford brake booster adapted to the plymouth master cylinder, Ill try to look again for it.

That is awesome! Thanks man, now I see the path!! I will see if I can find a set up like this or I can put something together. I was at a loss on how I would set up a booster with an under floor MC. I seem to recall some pics and threads about this set up either on this board or on HAMB.

Where in FL are you? I grew up north of Clearwater and went to school in Gainesville. Moved to the midwest in the late '80's.

• Like 1

That is awesome! Thanks man, now I see the path!! I will see if I can find a set up like this or I can put something together. I was at a loss on how I would set up a booster with an under floor MC. I seem to recall some pics and threads about this set up either on this board or on HAMB.

Where in FL are you? I grew up north of Clearwater and went to school in Gainesville. Moved to the midwest in the late '80's.

that maybe where i saw someone do it or try to make a 7" brake booster work with theirs I want to say I read that theyd have to make an adapter bracket but i cant remember if that was to mount the booster and master or if it was to mate the booster and master.

If you go the ford or gm booster and master dont forget to see if the brake lines to it are flared or bubbled and make sure the plymouth has the correct one or you might have to buy an adapter to switch to flared or bubbled.

Im in pinellas county, in Seminole 

Edited by hflmike21

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=28 lazy mans way ;)

http://webrodder.com/article/power-brakes-pedal-booster-master-1942-52-dodge-mopar-51 this site as a write up on the screen look at that artical window with the words mopar power brakes

Edited by hflmike21

I am considering that route but if I do, will I need to rig up a booster or 'power-brake' unit to make it work?

I am using a master cylinder from a 94 Ford Bronco in my 38 Coupe, without a power booster, for

a couple years now. Works great, just takes a little more foot pressure...

I don't know if you have checked yet, but I found the Explorer rear calipers would not fit in my original wheels without removing material from the calipers.

Jim Yergin

I have had the stock wheels on and off a few time without noticing any clearance issues. Granted I have not driven the car with them on but have rotated the wheels and didn't notice any rubbing or other contact. I will take a closer look.

Robert,
Are you using an Explorer rear with disc brakes?
Jim Yergin

I have a Ford Ranger rear...

Robert, good to hear. Thanks.

Wondering if Explorer MC without booster would work? 

Edited by 50 coupe

Keep in mind the Butchs Cool Stuff setup is for someone who has switched to an automatic transmission already.  It will not work with a clutch pedal.  Ask me how I know!

Are you using an Explorer rear with disc brakes?

Jim Yergin

Robert, good to hear. Thanks.

Wondering if Explorer MC without booster would work?

Well, the Bronco had a booster on it, but I did not use it. Brakes are good so far the

past couple of years...

Robert, so you are using 94 Bronco MC w/out booster. Are you using it with disc brakes front and rear or disc/drum? 

My present setup is 94 Bronco MC (big bore)/without booster, original shoes front, Ranger rearend/drums.

I was  using a 86 Dodge MC(small bore)/without booster, original shoes front & rear, worked good also..

I used a Mustang II MC/without booster on my 48 Dodge, (original type shoes), by running a longer rod through the original MC,

worked good also...

OK, got it. At this point I since I will have disc/disc I will probably go with an explorer MC that is used withe the explorer disc rear and disc front. I will need to check out clearance underneath to see if I will have clearance issues for a booster. May try it without the booster to see how it works. Since I want to keep the original pedals I will utilize the original MC.

Thanks for your info.

I saw m/c booster setup on a 53 or 54 chevy at a car show. the combo was mounted on the inner fender. A line ran from the main m/c to the booster combo, from there to the brakes. Was going to research it myself for my car(49 Desoto custom coupe) to use when I do brake upgrade. Haven't had a chance yet. Maybe someone knows about this setup?