Getting Oil into the Transmission

Joe Flanagan

I just tried to top off the oil in my transmission and as you guys probably know, it's next to impossible to get at the filler hole. I tried using a funnel and a long vinyl tube, but it wasn't really any good. I was wondering if there is any kind of gadget that will force oil into the trans, since gravity isn't really an option. Like one of those insecticide sprayers that you see at Home Depot that can be pressurized. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I think I might have had the floor out when I filled it originally. My transmission leaks to the point where I have to keep a piece of plywood under the car. I've tightened everything I can find, but I guess this one's just a leaker. 

I used to have a little pump that would screw onto an oil bottle.  I used it to fill an outboard motor lower unit.  I think that you can get them at auto part stores and marine supply places. 

That's what I use too.

Ditto for me.

Joe on my 50 w/OD trans I could Not use a bottle even with a tapered top-could not raise it up high enough to put much oil in. Low clearance of floor to trans tunnel I guess the p-15's must have more room.

Borrowed a pump from a friend that came on a gal. bottle of 90wt. for rear ends to put the oil in my OD (i used gl-5 from a Qt. container). Does not even have to match the thread size as they have a hose to go into the container-just a bit more work if it does not really fit.

Borrow or buy one, makes it easier to fill the 3rd. member also.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Here' what I use--It holds about 10oz.  I picked it up on amazon several years agoattachicon.gifDSCN1818.JPG

thats what I have too. Also works good for sucking the oil filter canister for an oil change. I hang mine so all the oil runs out so I don't risk too much cross contamination between used and clean oils.